Multiplayer Action RPG Prototype [Full Blueprint]

== This project is in temporary / permanent break ==
Build your own A-RPG with the Multiplayer Combat Editor

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I’m working on an Action-RPG / Hack and Slash prototype game on my free time.

The purpose is to recreate some good hack and slash gamefeel and to provide a .exe file in the end for anyone to enjoy and test it. Right now I’m mostly developing features and leaving the Game Design part on the side while still keeping in mind the level of modularity I want for every features (and updating them when needed).

I’m also doing this for learning purpose and I might be creating tutorial content about building a game like this in the future.

I’m doing everything by myself but that only includes coding and game designing, all art assets are either bought or downloaded on the internet. Elijah is an environment artist that recently joined me. We’re eager to show you some art assets of our own.

I’m using blueprints only. It is fully multiplayer right now (up to 4 players).

If you are an artist and would like to make some stuff for this prototype, you’re welcome to contact me :slight_smile:
(interface, environment, characters, animations, FX or even sounds)

I’m willing to answer any questions on the how’s and why’s I did things if some are interested :slight_smile:

Latest showcase video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kJ40WHpI2Q4

Trello To-Do List

Credits to:**

• Infinity Blades free assets (there are a lot of hidden assets that are quite useful for prototyping)
  • Dynamic Sword Animation Pack (marketplace link)
  • Sounds from an internal database and free sounds from the web
  • Lots of sounds from Warcraft 3 (exported from their world editor)
  • Musics from Path of Exile
  • Lots of interface assets from Diablo 3 and other action-rpg games
  • Lots of googled images from various different artists that I should be naming

I’m updating videos quite often to backtrack my prototype progress (there are already over 60 videos <3 minutes). These videos are made to keep a track of what I do for the people I know and for my work but you might find some interesting stuff along the way. Most of the videos can be skipped to 2:00 or 2:30 in order to see in-game results of the video.

I think that’s all, I really only wanted to step by in case some people might have questions. I will likely be updating the first post with the last “showcase video” every time I do one.

Have a nice day ladies and gentlemen and have fun with your own projects :smiley:

Update! :slight_smile:

multiplayer, blueprint, widgets only.

Full item & inventory system: item affixes, drop, loot, stats, tooltips, drag & drop inventory, weapon mesh switching & stats comparison.

Unfortunately no I don’t :frowning:

I’ve tried starting a tutorial playlist but it didn’t go far, I’m often busy with work and when I’m at home I just rush this hack and slash prototype.

From time to time I’m eager to make some but it’s always a hassle to start and I don’t.

Will you make auto loot button ? and infinity inventory ?

impressive work!

New showcase video! First post updated.

Can you develop how you imagine these features? I’m not sure to understand.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

are you looking for other developers?

Hey Elliot, very nice UI. Clean and simple. Any plans on releasing this when you’re finished, or turning it into a hack & slash template? Also, how did you go about doing the highlight on mouse over?

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it once “finished”. I don’t even know what “finished” means regarding this prototype.

I might give a link to a .exe but even that is not even sure.

Regarding the mouse hover: I created an Interface “MouseHover” that I add on every type of actor I want to interact with. On Controller Tick I’m checking what’s under my mouse and if that implements my MouseHover interface I drag data out of it and use them to render what I want on my HUD.

I think it can be improved to avoid ticking that.

Sorry I’m not :smiley:

I’ve only read where it’s done via a post processing material. Is this similar or different?

Yeah I used a post-processing material that has been given by someone here on the forum.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Also, keep up the good work.

You’re welcome! That’s why I created this thread in the first place :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on getting a Random Dungeon Generator up and running using this great youtube showcase video.

Thanks! :smiley:

Since you’re looking into randomness, have you thought about straight procedural generation? They had a Twitch stream last year that covered some really cool stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7eYXMJ5eI

What do you mean by “straight”?

I’ve went this way:

Next time I will make a bigger maze to have better dungeon layouts.

I’m currently building up some multiplayer connection / menu logic and I’m recording on-the-fly and making video tutorials about that.

Sorry, what I meant by that was, are each wall segment or room procedural? From the one tutorial, it looked like you make pre-built rooms, then randomly generate the level based off of those prefabs (very Diablo style). In a “straight” procedural setup, you would build everything on the fly. Your wall pieces would be prefabricated, but each tile section of the floor and layout of rooms would be completely random (within limitations of course). I linked the YouTube to what I was trying to get at above. Yeah, it’s a bit long, but still very informative… well, for me at least (I’m a bit new to all of this LOL).

Either way, what you have still looks really cool!

I kept the video in a corner, in case I decide to go further into the level generation. Thank you for the link :wink:

I just finished a big series of tutorial about building a multiplayer lobby logic. I expanded from there and started building my character selection screen.

Good work so far, looks like it will be fun to play.

Looks Great!

Hey guys!

Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

I think I’ll make a .exe at some point, surely not soon since it’s far from being playable (not to mention that the Game Design metrics are all fcked up for testing purposes).

I updated some content recently (after doing that intense series of tutorials :p).

I expanded the code from my tutorial even more to make a clean outgame / savegame / multiplayer logic and I’ll be updating the content here soon.

EDIT: Of course that .exe will likely be available to download in some private places like this :slight_smile: