AIPerception System - Where The Docs At

I’ve been using the old PawnSensingComponent AI sensing system for my new game for ages, and only recently noticed something called an AIPerception component which appears to have systems for sight, sound, touch and others. There is, however, no documentation on it at all - seemingly on either system, actually?! I have no idea where to begin trying to use this with my AI or whether I even should. Can we get some documentation on this?

Cheers.

Howdy JoeWintergreen,

I have just checked into our Documentation Tickets and there is currently a ticket (UEDOC-1513) for getting a AI Perception Documentation page written. At this time, I am uncertain as to when this page will be generated/completed, but I will be sure to let you know if I see any activity being made on this ticket.

I added a link to this thread to the ticket and made sure to bump up the Priority to critical.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions regarding AI Perception.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thanks!

I do have questions but they’re pretty broad. Like “how does this system even work”.

Any updates on how the system even works? Or whether any documentation is on the way? It’s not a self-explanatory thing.

Would also be interested to know if it’s being used in Fortnite or any other of Epic’s games at the moment.

Last time i saw it, the Sight sense was just a cone-trace check from time to time, configurable. That one proved problematic in performance due to all the traces and the fact that it was O(nsquared) becouse every AI checked for every other AI, careful if you have many bots with that enabled.The sound system was a very simple system, it just reacts to the Make Noise calls. Dont know about others as last time i saw it it was on 4.7 or so.

Hi There,

I’d just like to second what Joe has said here. I got started using this system following it being shown off in the live streams. However as soon as I get off the beaten path it’s very hard to figure out what’s going on. It would be a shame for me to have to back to using a more primitive system purely due to a lack of documentation.

I’m actually considering rolling my own sensing system since there are some fairly major shortcomings with PawnSensing and AIPerception isn’t straightforward/commented enough to be a good idea without documentation.

Seconded on a guide/tutorial that goes over the AIPerception system in bite-sized chunks. The “Advanced AI Live Stream” on YouTube moves pretty quickly, makes a lot of assumptions about previous AI experience, and gets bogged down by a lot of banter and other concepts (EQS in particular). While I think that Live Stream tutorial is great, it’s not intro-level. A new section under the “AI and Behavior Trees” section of the Unreal guides is very much in order for the Perception system.

+1 for some detailed documentation for AI Perception and some basic use case examples. It seems super powerful, but I’m unsure of how to correctly use it with behaviour trees/how to correctly configure senses other than sight!

+1. I agree with the OP that it is weird that there is no documentation for this system.

Did you watch Peter Newtons videos on youtube? I dont know if he did the original live stream, but this is pretty verbose, uses behaviour trees, eqs and perception, has a demo project you can download and debug and you can pause his video whilst you figure out what he just said :stuck_out_tongue: Also he has a sultry voice.

Basically I used these to get my zombies working using sight and sound, then did a little googling to get it all implemented via c++ :slight_smile:

That said, yeah official documentation would be way better than relying on a community member.

Sure has been a long time since I made this thread! Still no docs. I can’t imagine it would take more than a day or two for somebody who has a clear idea of this system to sit down and write some basic docs.

I’m back trying to figure this thing out again and it’s pretty weird. Like, at when/how often does OnPerceptionUpdated get called and how does it differ from OnTargetPerceptionUpdated? It’s not clear what the difference is.