Apex cloth - How can I make it collide with other objects in the world?

Hi guys,

I’ve asked similar questions already about this, but has anyone been able to get apex cloth to collide with objects in the world? I would to know from someone at Epic if it is at all possible, or if there is currently a bug. I have seen a video on youtube of a character jumping over a fence, and the cloth collides with the fence, so I am assuming it is indeed possible with Apex.

Any help would be super awesome! Cheers.

You should be able to do this, yes.

Check out the Context Examples map and find the cloth example. At least one of them has it set up so it collides with other objects. It should just be a setting on the object, I think.

Just wanted to follow this up by saying I finally got it working. It seems that you need at least one physics capsule on your skeleton in order for collisions to take affect…at leas that is what I am putting it down to for now. Without having the capsule there, physics collisions don’t seem to be processed on the cloth.

I guess it makes sense to have a capsule, it just wasn’t super obvious when I was trying to create a piece of cloth that was completely free to float around with a very high max distance value.

PING!

Did you actually get world input onto the cloth? Take your example, a curtain and you have an character walking into it, did you get an input? I mean you could always add an extra joint onto the asset with an kinematic capsule connected to it and have that track the player position, but I thought maybe you found a sexier solution.

This is really helpful. I have also managed to get the cloth animation in UE4.7. Can you help me on adding that physics capsule ? I am really new with this stuff.

You must do it outside Unreal Engine before importing the APEX file. This page has tutorials on doing it inside 3D Studio Max.
If you don’t want to/can’t use Max, there’s PhysXLab or you can do it inside Maya. You just have to install the APEX plugin.

I’ve got it to collide with world (not perfectly, but better than nothing). Doesn’t collide with movables, though. Here’s my solution: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/57416/apex-cloth-does-not-collide-with-objects-in-the-wo.html

I know that this is a late response, but I want to share it. In order to make apex cloth to interact with other objects by checking “collide with other objects”, but that will only work with static objects or stationary objects, movable objects are ignored.

I also want to know how to add such a collision capsule is effective.
I try to add Kinematic Rig to PhysX. But it is not the desired collision effect.

I want to know how to install these plugin on my 3Ds Max on the first place, 6 hours of searching i didnt get it… Please help me!!

The download page : https://developer.nvidia.com/gameworksdownload
choose to download something named : PhysX: 3D Studio Max DCC plug-in for PhysX 3-3-4
install it and follow the tutorials : PhysX SDK - Latest Features & Libraries | NVIDIA | NVIDIA Developer

Thanks bro, it worked like a charm :))

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m not your bro, friend !
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/South%20Park/mehr66.gif