User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Striving for Photorealism in UE4

Subscrib and look forward for some information about creation methods of this amazing things

Samaritan
    compliments! amazing work

Supporter
    Which ones are the screenshots?

Is this in Marketplace available?

Supporter
    My God, that is amazing. the color looks a bit of to me in the 3rd and 2nd ones though.

Teach us master

You could have told me they were photographs, and I'd have been fooled.

Infiltrator
    This is awesome! I would love to see how you did this or at least the very beginnings of it. Having photo realistic environments running at 60fps at 1440p would be so much fun to make! Great job!

Wow, that is stunning work! I would love to see a tutorial, even if you put those on gumroad and charge, I'll buy them. Great work!

Awesome! Can't wait to put my hands on those, thanks a lot for sharing

New photogrammetry test! Starting to understand the process a bit more

Trying to get a more natural colour grading in comparison to the previous scenes!

Thanks for all of the kind words on this thread- didn't expect anything to come from it
    Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-09-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Oooohh, this is looking fantastic. Great results again and again.

Game Design - Photogrammetry - Programming
    Tutorials · Twitter · Twitch

Infiltrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EoinOBroin View Post
    New photogrammetry test! Starting to understand the process a bit more

Trying to get a more natural colour grading in comparison to the previous scenes!
    This one looks great! I can tell you're improving which is awesome! I still hope you can make some sort of tutorial for us. I also checked out your artstation profile (and started following) and saw that abandoned house. That one is INCREDIBLE and you labeled it as WIP?? Serious talent here.

Quote Originally Posted by das8track View Post
    This one looks great! I can tell you're improving which is awesome! I still hope you can make some sort of tutorial for us. I also checked out your artstation profile (and started following) and saw that abandoned house. That one is INCREDIBLE and you labeled it as WIP?? Serious talent here.
    Thank you I can't wait to start working on interior hard surface scenes like that one again!

-------------------------

Processed more photogrammetry assets in the last few days- having fun with some different lighting condition tests- VERY work in progress!

Started with a desert scene, ended with snow

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 04-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Made some tweaks to the snow scene to try and achieve a higher level of realism + made a few alternate variations

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 04-30-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Infiltrator
    Looks amazing! That panning gif looks like a shot from a movie like Lords of the Rings or something. Great job!

Testing out Sequencer on some old scenes of mine in the new 4.12 preview! I love it, it's a super powerful and easy to use tool! Finally creating cinematic shots with changing focus is easy!

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-04-2016 at 05:47 AM.

Infiltrator
    I can't believe I'm the only one posting on this thread with you haha All your stuff is amazing! I'm glad you went back to that interior shot. It looks great! Reminds me of P.T. which is something I want to do eventually. I haven't tried out the new sequence yet but from the live streams and community examples, it seems really legit.

Man this stuff is epic. I particularly like the grass! You should definitely make a tutorial if you have the time.

Joel

Champion
    That panning gif looks like a shot from a movie like Lords of the Rings or something. Great job!
    I second that

I can't believe I'm the only one posting on this thread with you haha All your stuff is amazing! I'm glad you went back to that interior shot. It looks great! Reminds me of P.T. which is something I want to do eventually. I haven't tried out the new sequence yet but from the live streams and community examples, it seems really legit.
    Thanks man Yeah Sequencer is amazing, really loving it- I made a fly through of an updated version of that corridor scene below with it!

Quote Originally Posted by JediJoel View Post
    Man this stuff is epic. I particularly like the grass! You should definitely make a tutorial if you have the time.

Joel
    Thanks! Working on making a nice example scene with a bunch of stuff including grass shaders, a photogrammetry base shader and a typical lighting setup!

-------------------------------------------------------

I made some final tweaks to my last scene, including a video! I've missed doing hard surface stuff- so much fun to play with the lighting and shaders

Quick video of the scene testing Sequencer and some sound design I've been working on: https://youtu.be/VIa74Lt2Yi0

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-04-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediJoel View Post

Joel
    thumbs up to that

Subbed! Please post a breakdown of one of the scenes or a screenshot of your postprocess settings, that looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsofknowledge View Post
    Subbed! Please post a breakdown of one of the scenes or a screenshot of your postprocess settings, that looks amazing!
    Sure thing Here's a quick breakdown of some of the lighting views and also my lightmass /post process / point light settings (there was one point light outside for every two windows).

As you can see, especially since this is based on an older scene of mine- there are many errors in lighing, and poorly made models, but a lot of the time, a good result can still be had!

Regarding the "Environment Intensity" and "Diffuse Boost" tweaks to the lightmass settings, I believe that was just originally from putting large/small values into each of the parameters to see what changed- this happened to look ok, so I kept it (probably many things I do in all my scenes isn't "correct" or "accurate"- I purely look for a good end result, and don't really think of what I should and shouldn't be doing! If a boosted indirect lighting amount of 50 looks better than any other version- do it!)

Hopefully this helps! All I can really say is a scene is defined mostly by composition. Lighting and shading also play a big role, but without the right composition to begin with, it is difficult to achieve anything decent! I'm very much still learning and will continue to try and improve, but that is one thing that sticks out to me.

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-04-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Sure thing Here's a quick breakdown of some of the lighting views and also my lightmass /post process / point light settings (there was one point light outside for every two windows).

As you can see, especially since this is based on an older scene of mine- there are many errors in lighing, and poorly made models, but a lot of the time, a good result can still be had!

Regarding the "Environment Intensity" and "Diffuse Boost" tweaks to the lightmass settings, I believe that was just originally from putting large/small values into each of the parameters to see what changed- this happened to look ok, so I kept it (probably many things I do in all my scenes isn't "correct" or "accurate"- I purely look for a good end result, and don't really think of what I should and shouldn't be doing! If a boosted indirect lighting amount of 50 looks better than any other version- do it!)

Hopefully this helps! All I can really say is a scene is defined mostly by composition. Lighting and shading also play a big role, but without the right composition to begin with, it is difficult to achieve anything decent! I'm very much still learning and will continue to try and improve, but that is one thing that sticks out to me.

Thanks so much! I am more interested in the realism because composition doesn't really matter when the player moves around, but I'll keep that in mind. It's also helpful to know the pp settings, in my projects I just increase the contrast and desaturate everything to get a realistic image without much work:P The material work in your scene is great too, I don't have Substance yet so I just stick to default materials and decals

Infiltrator
    Awesome work, again! Thanks for the breakdown, it'll be really helpful in the future when I start doing some realistic scenes. I had a question though, at the beginning of the thread you mentioned, at least one of your scenes, was running 1440p @ 60fps. What kind of specs are you running on your computer and has this been consistent in all your scenes?

Supporter
    Wow! This is incredible. Look forward to seeing more of your work!

So amazing, really would like to see a more thorough example scene or tutorial on how you're achieving these results. Incredible!

Hi! Can I Ask you a question. Why are you use so many Num Indirect Light bounces? I think that 5 is more than enough. In any case difference between 4 & 20 or more, is not significant. But difference in light building time is big..

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsofknowledge View Post
    Thanks so much! I am more interested in the realism because composition doesn't really matter when the player moves around, but I'll keep that in mind. It's also helpful to know the pp settings, in my projects I just increase the contrast and desaturate everything to get a realistic image without much work:P The material work in your scene is great too, I don't have Substance yet so I just stick to default materials and decals
    I would actually try and design so that most of the possible positions that the player can have will look good composition wise! In this case it is easy enough- just a corridor, so they can only walk up or down it! However for larger games, especially open world settings, this can be a much bigger challenge!

Awesome work, again! Thanks for the breakdown, it'll be really helpful in the future when I start doing some realistic scenes. I had a question though, at the beginning of the thread you mentioned, at least one of your scenes, was running 1440p @ 60fps. What kind of specs are you running on your computer and has this been consistent in all your scenes?
    I'm currently running a GTX 980, an i7-5930K and 32 GB RAM! Yep these specs have been consistent, but for example, the indoor scene that I last posted runs easily at 80-90 FPS, whereas the grass scenes can go all the way down to 30 (depending on how dense I make the grass). The thing about realistic grass is, that if you want to emulate nature- you need a huge amount of blades- in reality grass is extremely dense, so most games tend to make the trade off of less blades for more performance, which usually doesn't end up looking very real! I don't think hardware really is at the point yet for games to run grass at the density required for realism, but certainly if you are creating your own archviz or realistic scenes, you can crank up the detail, as you can push performance much more!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaeen View Post
    Hi! Can I Ask you a question. Why are you use so many Num Indirect Light bounces? I think that 5 is more than enough. In any case difference between 4 & 20 or more, is not significant. But difference in light building time is big..
    No reason here other than my brain being greedy and thinking "more bounces = better" I'm sure the quality difference is very slight, but for me the build times are reasonable for most of my scenes, so I keep it at 100!

-------------------------

I decided to invest in a 4K monitor as I'm starting to ramp up production for my game (targeting 4K and VR). It also allows me to get much closer to a cinematic image, as many of the problems in game caused by lower resolution (like noisy aliasing on thin foliage) are made a lot better. Doing some quick tests on an older scene, it really makes a big difference in terms of clarity- no need for Temporal AA, so everything comes out looking super sharp!

I haven't forgotten about the tutorial that I promised, I'm currently finalizing my photogrammetry/foliage pipeline and will be posting results along with a tutorial/free example scene here soon!
    Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-17-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Infiltrator
    Thanks for all the info! The revisited scene looks awesome. The grass looks great! And I agree with the whole grass density thing. I work as a 3D animator for archviz, medical, industrial, etc and if we need to use grass we have to optimize everything else just so it looks appropriate. 3ds max isn't the best application for grass I don't think but V-Ray certainly helps. I like how yours works and it would be a huge argument for using UE4 in some of our client renderings.

Also, I'm so stoked for the tutorial!! Thanks for keeping us in mind.

Banned
    I'm currently running a GTX 980, an i7-5930K and 32 GB RAM! Yep these specs have been consistent, but for example, the indoor scene that I last posted runs easily at 80-90 FPS, whereas the grass scenes can go all the way down to 30
    Is that with Early-Z pass on in the optimization panel?

I am also probably completely paranoid, but the first thing that comes to my mind when looking at that noise pattern and the slight warping in your video is that this was rendered in VUE, not in UE4. Can you post a UE4 Editor screenshot of this scene, sir, please?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBudgie View Post
    Is that with Early-Z pass on in the optimization panel?

I am also probably completely paranoid, but the first thing that comes to my mind when looking at that noise pattern and the slight warping in your video is that this was rendered in VUE, not in UE4. Can you post a UE4 Editor screenshot of this scene, sir, please?
    I haven't touched "Early-Z pass"- must check that out, haven't looked into it before

And haha I'll take that as a compliment! The gif is downsampled from 4K (3840 width to 800 width) and loses a lot of quality which causes the noise pattern, but here is a screenshot of the scene in editor nevertheless: http://imgur.com/JcSf0w8
    Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-16-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Banned
    I haven't touched "Early-Z pass"- must check that out, haven't looked into it before

And haha I'll take that as a compliment! The gif is downsampled from 4K (3840 width to 800 width) and loses a lot of quality which causes the noise pattern, but here is a screenshot of the scene in editor nevertheless: http://imgur.com/JcSf0w8
    Haha, yes, the color grading and fine structure of the grass and the scene makes VUE kind of look old. It would be interesting to see how much fps can be reached with optimisations (early z, shadows 'just good enough', LOD-ing and grass density until the appearance breaks down). If it is 30fps right now, that's a good sign that 60fps can be reached.

Is your game going to focus on Landscapes?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBudgie View Post
    Haha, yes, the color grading and fine structure of the grass and the scene makes VUE kind of look old. It would be interesting to see how much fps can be reached with optimisations (early z, shadows 'just good enough', LOD-ing and grass density until the appearance breaks down). If it is 30fps right now, that's a good sign that 60fps can be reached.

Is your game going to focus on Landscapes?
    Honestly since I've just been trying to create nice stills for the most part, I haven't at all been concerned about performance, but now that I'm starting work on my game, I might create a few optimised scenes to see if I can get a nice balance of quality and performance!

My game will actually mainly take place indoors, but I wanted to make sure that the setting felt real, especially for VR- so there will be a lot of outdoor detail (landscapes/foliage) surrounding the buildings, to add believability to the setting!

Infiltrator
    My game will actually mainly take place indoors, but I wanted to make sure that the setting felt real, especially for VR- so there will be a lot of outdoor detail (landscapes/foliage) surrounding the buildings, to add believability to the setting!
    Is your game a type of horror game? I think using these techniques would be perfect for that! Your hallway scene is pretty creepy so VR creepy-photorealism would be amazing!

Is your game a type of horror game? I think using these techniques would be perfect for that! Your hallway scene is pretty creepy so VR creepy-photorealism would be amazing!
    Yep it will be a horror game! Not a typical jumpscare/mindless game, but something a lot more cinematic with a huge emphasis on the visual quality! I make music for a living, so I'll also be putting a big focus on music/audio coupled with the visuals to really sell the experience

----------------------------------------------------------------

Quick SpeedTree test Having fun trying to make dense forests! Unfortunately my project crashed beyond repair (a bug that sometimes happens to me when I place too much of a certain foliage actor and reopening the map causes a consistent crash) and I won't be able to recover the file, but I thought I would post a WIP shot anyway

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 05-30-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Looks amazing very realistic. Can't wait for that tutorial. Thank you!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast