User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Striving for Photorealism in UE4

Striving for Photorealism in UE4

Hey! I've recently decided to create a series of mini scenes in an effort to get better at composition and photorealism in UE4- right now I'm focusing on landscapes and foliage, here is the first test with a little fuzzy grass shader I made

Scene 1:

Feedback is more than welcome! I'll be posting more scenes as I finish them, I thought this could be a cool way to share progress!

Highlights:

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 04-22-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Looks fantastic mate keep it up!
    Marketplace Packages

UnrealSlackers is a Community driven group of likeminded people here to discuss UE4! Join UnrealSlackers on Discord!

It looks really nice Well done! Would love to see more scenes.

Game Design - Photogrammetry - Programming
    Tutorials · Twitter · Twitch

Holy **** dude MOAR, this is ill!

Promoter
    Wow, that looks amazing!

Thank you all for the kind words

Made a few tweaks to that scene to fix some of the problems that I noticed when I woke up!

The next scene is coming on nicely, should be finished later today!
    Last edited by EoinOBroin; 03-01-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Samaritan
    Can send you some real photos of these sandy hills fro Spain if you want any inspiration.
    Anything the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can be achieved. Napoleon Hill

Become One (tiny game on Google Play)
    It's time for a better web hosting. Now 50% off (£1.49/m)

That sand Material looks very nice.
    Marketplace Packages

UnrealSlackers is a Community driven group of likeminded people here to discuss UE4! Join UnrealSlackers on Discord!

The tall grass looks nice even if it's not 100% photoreal. I like the atmosphere of your environments.

That's ridiculously good.

New grassy mountains scene! (still tweaking, will be updating this post with changes)

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 03-04-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Hey man - saw some of your stuff on the facebook group a few days ago.

That mountain scene is look super awesome. Your definitely achieving the "photorealism" with it!

This grass is looking so awesome In terms of realism it's maybe a little bit too perfect. The terrain is quite rough for a mower.

@Higuy8000 Thank you!
    @SchnitzelDude Haha yeah maybe I need more dark patches/variation in the grass! I'll keep this in mind for future scenes, thanks for the feedback!

Got the scene a bit more optimized, running at 60 FPS @ 1440p

Last edited by EoinOBroin; 03-03-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Champion
    Ground textures are too repetitive and lack unique details.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeon View Post
    Doing a lot of reference of similar real life landscapes that I wanted to capture the feel of, I noticed that the grassland parts actually were very simple with little variation.

I do agree that I need more unique details- stones, flowers, trees etc.

This scene is as simple as it possibly can be right now- 1 landscape, 1 material, and 1 grass foliage actor. I've been trying to get a large amount of mileage out of as few input assets as possible as another goal of this series

Although I agree with above, I think that the lighting and grass foliage is spot on. Looking forward to seeing further developments!

Let's lay out in marketplace xD

nailed it!

Sorry for going off topic @Higuy8000 can you point me to the facebook group please.

Champion

Awesome work man, really nice!
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

That looks fantastic. Any chance you'd be willing to talk about how you made that grass material?

UE Community Manager
    These are really phenomenal! Keep up the great work and please keep us posted with anything new you're doing
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Champion

Sweet breadcakes on a bowl of whipped cream batman!
    Love the minimalism yet realism
    Marketplace content:
    Luos's Modular Cave Pack - 500+ meshes! (try the free version!)
    4 Elements pack! - Both defensive and offensive!
    A Particle A Day project pack 1 - 28 particles, soon to be 56!

Other content:
    A Particle A Day Project - Soon to be continued! (grr @ real life)
    2016 VFX Showcase & Rad Rodgers VFX Showcase!!

This looks AMAZING. I completely disagree with the guy that says that the grass looks repetitive. There's grass exactly like that in natural, untouched, areas. Some kinds of grass just don't grow a lot. I work with this kind of thing everyday (similar, architectural rendering) and I know how hard it is to achieve realistic looking grass. This is a work of art, and I would love to see a breakdown on how you did it!

Great work mate! How does it perform?
    Game Developer @ LODZERO - My Twitter | tomlooman.com UE4 samples & tutorials | C++ Survival Game (Open-source template)

That looks awesome, I would love to see some breakdown if possible. Great work!

Infiltrator
    Looks amazing! Would love to see this effect used for creating infinite sidescroller backgrounds. It's something I imagined doing a while ago but didn't know how.

Quote Originally Posted by TemporalDrift View Post
    Sorry for going off topic @Higuy8000 can you point me to the facebook group please.
    Hey there @TemporalDrift, heres a link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ue4devs/

Quote Originally Posted by EoinOBroin View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words

Made a few tweaks to that scene to fix some of the problems that I noticed when I woke up!

The next scene is coming on nicely, should be finished later today!
    Heey, how did you that sand? Is it fine texturing? Is it planar projection? Triplaner projection?

Supporter
    That mountain scene looks very much like I would imaging NyLeve crashsite (if you played original 1998 Unreal). Would love to see you developing this scene in that direction or sharing it on the market. Inspiring

Quote Originally Posted by Galeon View Post
    OOoo.. Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by brunogruber View Post
    This looks AMAZING. I completely disagree with the guy that says that the grass looks repetitive.
    Second that.

wow this is great! I's also love to see a bit of breakdown for this

Champion

@EoinOBroin The grass is in a transparent material true ?
    Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
    These are really phenomenal! Keep up the great work and please keep us posted with anything new you're doing
    Thank you! Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by brunogruber View Post
    This looks AMAZING. I completely disagree with the guy that says that the grass looks repetitive. There's grass exactly like that in natural, untouched, areas. Some kinds of grass just don't grow a lot. I work with this kind of thing everyday (similar, architectural rendering) and I know how hard it is to achieve realistic looking grass. This is a work of art, and I would love to see a breakdown on how you did it!
    Thank you so much! I will do a breakdown if people are interested, but really everything is super simple

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Looman View Post
    Great work mate! How does it perform?
    Since my main goal of this series is to try and achieve photorealistic visuals, my scenes are not very optimised at all and could be hugely improved in terms of performance. Really I'm just trying to make nice looking scenes for now before moving on to my main game project that I have planned. With that said, I set a minimum goal of 30 FPS @ 1440p but both of the scenes shown so far run at 60+FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Millionviews View Post
    Heey, how did you that sand? Is it fine texturing? Is it planar projection? Triplaner projection?
    The sand is just a simple diffuse and normal map run through my landscape master material! I did increase the normal map intensity and layered with a detail normal map for some variation/detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hevedy View Post
    @EoinOBroin The grass is in a transparent material true ?
    Yes! Using transparency allows for a softer look, but it causes depth issues and certain effects don't render correctly such as DOF. The masked version of the shader looks almost as nice, but being able to fade out the grass gives it a nicer, more natural looking finish- for my purposes translucency works fine! I'm working on making a shader that can match the visuals of the current translucent shader but use the usual masked method!

I've been working on a new scene for the last few days having fun learning SpeedTree, will be posting shots soon!
    Last edited by EoinOBroin; 03-09-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Wow I hope you release a playbale demo for it (and I hope it doesn't need the power of Kite Demo)

Unreal Engine Developer
    That gif looks fantastic. Awesome work dude!

Very nice work OP! I like it alot!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast