Heavy Metal Mazes

This is a work in progress, but it’s getting to the point where I’m able to finally start expanding and customizing my graphics and other gameplay elements. I’ve got my Flares and Pickups and Flashlight configured, but there’s MUCH more to come. :slight_smile: If you can’t tell by the video, there’s a timer element to it, also. I’m planning on adding an actual Timer to the HUD, but for now, you’ve got from the time the moon rises until the time the moon sets to finish each level. It starts off really fast for the first level, but gets gradually longer as the levels get harder. (Pay attention to the shadows.)

Each level (and game) is completely generated at random, so no two gaming experiences are ever the same. It can actually be pretty challenging, and that’s a whole lot of fun. I think I’ve only made it past level 9 once! LOL! And there have been many times I’ve failed at level TWO! :slight_smile:

Oh, and I finally got the Pause Music thing in place. You can see that when it gets to Level 4. Looking forward to your opinions and criticism. I know maze games just don’t seem all that popular or fun, but I plan on changing that dramatically. lol!

Anyway, here’s the gameplay video of the first few levels. (Again, most of the graphics and stuff are just placeholders until I’m ready to do the finalized artwork and stuff, but it’s still pretty cool, and a heck of a lot of fun to play. Not to mention Challenging. The farthest I’ve ever made it was to level 10, and that was only after about a billion tries at level 9. LOL

Mazes are cool. Heavy metal is cool. Sounds like it could be a good bit of fun. I’m actually working on a maze game of my own (but one that’s very much different to this one). So I’m always excited when I see someone doing something with mazes. So a couple of questions I have:

Did you write your own maze generator for it?
How big does it get before it runs into trouble generating a bigger maze?
Do you do anything to stop “wall following” to get through without getting lost?

Thanks. I wrote my own generator. I tried to convert it to BP, but, in the end, had to resort to keeping it in my original C++ class and just use BP for generating the actual geometry in each level. As far as the size? Well, the generator itself could probably do any size you wanted in a very, very short amount of time. But the BP creation is where the slowdown really would come into play, but that’s okay, because it doesn’t really slow down until you get to sizes that would really be unplayable anyway.

If you need a generator for your mazes, just let me know. I have no problem sharing my generation code, just as long as I get mention for it. :slight_smile: LOL

Any game with a Maze sparks my attention. I’m always curious as to what algorithm developers choose to use in their Maze Generation. I scripted my Labyrinth Generator using Depth-First Search Algo all in Blueprints. Things really get fun trying to find ways to optimize generation.