Why should I keep paying?

Hi,
I’m thinking about trying out UE4, and paying the first month ($19).
Why should I keep paying if I have everything on my machine?
And why should a team of 10 developers pay $190 per month if it’s the same thing?

I could just get the code for $19 (One month), and get an update every 6 month or so… (Unless there are major bugs fixes)

What am I losing if I unsubscribe? what am I missing here?

Thanks

Hi ,

Subscribers get 4 main things that non-subscribers do not: 1. Access to the marketplace, 2. Access to the Epic Github, and 3. Access to updates regularly, 4. Ability to publish games for profit. While none of these are necessary to be able to develop, and should you decide to cancel a subscription after getting the engine that is certainly acceptable, these are tools that are designed to help designers gain immediate access to the most up to date information and content. At the end of development if you want to re-new the subscription to be able to publish that is allowed as well.

Thank you and have a great day!

[= ;467]
Hi ,

Subscribers get 4 main things that non-subscribers do not: 1. Access to the marketplace, 2. Access to the Epic Github, and 3. Access to updates regularly, 4. Ability to publish games for profit. While none of these are necessary to be able to develop, and should you decide to cancel a subscription after getting the engine that is certainly acceptable, these are tools that are designed to help designers gain immediate access to the most up to date information and content. At the end of development if you want to re-new the subscription to be able to publish that is allowed as well.

Thank you and have a great day!

[/]

Hi ,

What is the Marketplace?

There you can sell and buy assets for the UE4

Hi ,

[]
And why should a team of 10 developers pay $190 per month if it’s the same thing?
[/]

The EULA states that:

[]

“You,” “your” or “yourself”, whether or not capitalized in this Agreement, means you as an individual or the legal entity exercising rights under this Agreement through you. For legal entities, “you,” “your” and “yourself” include any entity that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with you, where “control” means the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of the entity in question, whether by contract or otherwise, or ownership of 50% or more of the outstanding shares or beneficial ownership of the entity in question.

[/]

So, You as an individual developer pay $19 and are bound by the licensing terms by yourself. But then, when a company having 10 developers wants to license the engine, then the company pays $19 and the company is bound by the licensing terms.

As far as other questions go, EULA answers those as well:

[]
After cancellation of your Subscription by either you or Epic, you will not be entitled to access or use future Versions of the Engine Code or future Assets that Epic makes available under the License.
[/]

So you lose the updates. You still can use the engine and make a game with it and sell it and pay 5% to Epic.

Regards,

EDIT: Don’t me on that :wink: I’m not a lawyer.

Hello again!

While Endru6 is on the right track, the first statement in the EULA agreement does read as follows:

1. User License

The Licensed Technology is licensed to you for use by a single User. The User may store the Licensed Technology on any of the User’s computers, but the Licensed Technology cannot be shared with others (including any other employees or agents) except through a permitted Distribution as described above.

Within this, the company is subscribed as the owner of the license but each seat or user must be paid for separately for access to the initial install of the engine. Afterwards the company could choose to cancel until such time as they wished to receive updates or publish their game. The exception to this is Academic Institutions, who do not have to oblige the Single User agreement. Any EULA questions can best be answered on the EULA FAQ located here:

https://unrealengine/eula

So then what about this scenario:

I have a team of 5 people. We each buy our seat and pay the monthly fees. We sell the game under a company name and generate $100,000. What is the royalty and who pays it? Does each of the 5 people need to pay 5% on the $100,000 totaling $25,000 (5 x 5%) or does the “project” pay 5% totaling $5,000 (1 x 5%)?

[=JohnJ;675]
So then what about this scenario:

I have a team of 5 people. We each buy our seat and pay the monthly fees. We sell the game under a company name and generate $100,000. What is the royalty and who pays it? Does each of the 5 people need to pay 5% on the $100,000 totaling $25,000 (5 x 5%) or does the “project” pay 5% totaling $5,000 (1 x 5%)?
[/]

You would pay $5,000 in this scenario. Honestly you guys are really looking for loopholes here :stuck_out_tongue:

As for who pays it, that’s up to you to decide between your team. Though I imagine you have a development leader that pays the team members post-shipping? I guess that person would be in charge of paying the royalty fee first.

[=;677]
You would pay $5,000 in this scenario. Honestly you guys are really looking for loopholes here :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

That wasn’t searching for loopholes, that was asking for clarity :slight_smile:

[=;677]

As for who pays it, that’s up to you to decide between your team. Though I imagine you have a development leader that pays the team members post-shipping? I guess that person would be in charge of paying the royalty fee first.
[/]

Its not a question about team setup and management… its for clarity of the EULA because it is written for individuals.

When you sign it and agree to pay a 5% royalty you are doing so an an individual and not as a team. There is no actual team described or locked under a license. Each team member is and based on the wording each person that has the license and releases a game for revenue has to pay the 5%. So the description of releasing a game could use some clarification.

Here’s a plainer explanation of the EULA language on company vs individual use:

The licensee agreement is between Epic and either the individual who signs up or the individual’s company, depending on whether you sign up on behalf of a company (filling in the company field).

Each human being who wants ongoing access to new versions of UE4 should subscribe separately. So, in a company with 3 active developers, you’d generally sign up for 3 subscriptions.

Each human being who subscribes to UE4 can install and use it on all of their computers at home and work.

Anybody can cancel at any time. By canceling, you won’t receive access to new versions but can continue using existing versions you had access to as a subscriber.

When a company ships a product, the company is responsible for paying the 5% royalty on gross revenue from users.

We’ll eventually add team-management features to simplify the process for companies, but that’s many months away, sorry!

I know its really offtopic, sorry for that… but…
I find it funny how “THE” still has junior status :slight_smile:

To stay a bit more on topic, Had to 's latest message on facebook a few times now, lots of people are confused by this.

[=;727]

Each human being who subscribes to UE4 can install and use it on all of their computers at home and work.

[/]

And there are some restriction? I can install it in my two PCs and in my work PC without any problem, like UDK3?

Can have the two PCs running UE4 at the same time and connected to internet (with the same ip)?

personally for the price i dont see the harm of subscribing for a few months i do hope they keep adding new demo scenes on a regular bases and such :-).

[=;727]
Here’s a plainer explanation of the EULA language on company vs individual use:

The licensee agreement is between Epic and either the individual who signs up or the individual’s company, depending on whether you sign up on behalf of a company (filling in the company field).

Each human being who wants ongoing access to new versions of UE4 should subscribe separately. So, in a company with 3 active developers, you’d generally sign up for 3 subscriptions.

Anybody can cancel at any time. By canceling, you won’t receive access to new versions but can continue using existing versions you had access to as a subscriber.

When a company ships a product, the company is responsible for paying the 5% royalty on gross revenue from users.

We’ll eventually add team-management features to simplify the process for companies, but that’s many months away, sorry!
[/]

Thanks , that clears my questions up!

Is there any limit on the amount of times we can subscribe/unsubscribe? For instance, if I sub and unsub right now, to get the initial build of the engine, could I do the same thing again in a few months, to get some updates? So like, every 6 months or so, I would sub and then unsub immediately afterwards. Would that be alright?

You are free to subscribe and unsubscribe as you please. There is no limitation imparted on our end.

[=ffejnosliw;807]
You are free to subscribe and unsubscribe as you please. There is no limitation imparted on our end.
[/]

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m just a student without much money, so I need to pay attention to these kind of things :slight_smile:

If you plan to make big sales at all with this engine, then the $19 would not be a problem. I dont see how its not worth anything at all with this great engine :smiley:

[= ;467]
At the end of development if you want to re-new the subscription to be able to publish that is allowed as well.
[/]

I’m sorry, but this sounds different from what I understood so far.

I thought that one can subscribe, then unsubscribe at any time and still be able to publish their game with no need to subscribe again. Did I get it wrong?