[FEATURE REQUEST] Easier moving BP variable to parent class

Hi,

Lets say I have the following situation:
I create a Pickup Parent BP that handles stuff pickups have in common, such as play a specific sound when destroyed, etc.
Then I create an AmmoPickup class, where I add ammo specific variables and also an “amount” variable.
Later I create a HealthPickup and notice: “Hey, the health pickup also needs an amount”.

It would be nice if I could go into the AmmoBP and select the amount variable and say “Move to parent class”.
If I create a variable “amount” in the base class, I still have to remove the amount variable in the AmmoBP (first) and redo all connections.

Or is there already a way to move variables up the classses :confused:

Cheers,
Klaus

PS:
I just discover more and morre needs of ways to properly refactor Blueprint class hierachies.
In addition to the request above it would be nice to be able to:

• move functions to the parent class as well
  • convert a Blueprint actor class into a BP component class
  • reintroduce a function with same name and same or different signature
  • allow overloading of functions

My added comment above made me thinking:
How far does BP actually support the concept of polymorphism … ?
I would like to apply some of my coding habbits to BP as well :slight_smile:

I totally agree. Currently there is still a lack of refactoring features in blueprint.
As i come from the programmers side, working with C# for more than 10 years, especially refactoring blueprints feels like you have to do it with one finger instead of two hands.

In many cases, variables, methods or even higher level functionality like components need to be moved into new created parent classes.
Especially if you have a variable of a deeper structure used in inherited class and decide to move this variable into another parent class (just because it is needed in this case and the guy working on it before just didn’t implement it like this). Then you have to adjust each usage of this variable and i got the worst case here (a struct used to balance different objects, which needs to be moved into parent blueprint). Something like “Move variable/method/macro/component to parent blueprint” if the parent blueprint is a custom blueprint would be a very very great help in terms of refactoring features.

Maybe there is already something like this (because i know, unreal is a very powerful engine with a lot of features and probably some features like this hidden somewhere already?)
But however, as much other parts in blueprint editing is pretty solid already, it would be great to have more tools making the refactoring more convenient.

>- convert a Blueprint actor class into a BP component class
reparent should do the trick

me and my dev team would really appreciate it too. Joining the request.

Any update on if variable moving is possible?