User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 241

Thread: Road Editor

  1. #1
    0

    Road Editor

    Plugin now available here : http://talos-studio.com

    Road Editor is a plugin allowing level designers quickly edit a road network during level design.





    Here is a quick documentation for now : http://talos-studio.com/road-editor-release/

    Basic spline edition :

    • Insert point by clicking on landscape
    • Segment selection
    • Basic transform for selection


    Added feature on spline :

    • Cut road
    • Merge similar roads
    • Automatic digging (Original height data saved on first run)
    • Side Objects (Actors and Meshes) Placement
    • Snap on terrain
    • Crosses beetween splines
    • Swap socket beetween road on cross output


    Road network configuration :

    • Dedicated Editor
    • Auto Crossover
    • Digging setup for cross (continuity)
    • Side Objects Setup (Actors and Meshes)
    • World Composition Compatible
    • Cross and Spline instance customizable in Editor Runtime
    • Fully optimized for cooked game (Only actors and meshes)


    18 Meshes for starter content (4 side objects), fully textured (except extrude for your landscape material) and 5 LODs for each mesh. A default road network configuration for example.

    For any issue or request, post in this thread.
    Last edited by Le Samedi; 03-25-2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Tutorial video

  2. #2
    0
    This looks awesome, can't wait to try it! Nice work
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

    Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

  3. #3
    0
    Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    576
    This looks much better than Epics attempt, and I really like the merging and crossover. Im just wondering if there is the ability to copy the splines, as well as have meshes spawn along the side of the road at set distances? For instance if you wanted to have street lights following a segment of the road, could you automatically have them spawn a certain distance from the center or edge of the road, and have them spaced a certain distance away from eachother? This would be beneficial for stuff like guard rails, lights, sidewalks, ect.

  4. #4
    0
    Patron
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32
    I cant wait to try this. I hope you release this soon.

  5. #5
    0
    Hopefully this will come with multiple road types?

    Roman, dirt, gravel, etc?

  6. #6
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirk View Post
    This looks much better than Epics attempt, and I really like the merging and crossover. Im just wondering if there is the ability to copy the splines, as well as have meshes spawn along the side of the road at set distances? For instance if you wanted to have street lights following a segment of the road, could you automatically have them spawn a certain distance from the center or edge of the road, and have them spaced a certain distance away from eachother? This would be beneficial for stuff like guard rails, lights, sidewalks, ect.
    Copy spline not difficult to do, i will do it. For spawn on side of road and cross, yes, both mesh components and actors (with light for example), you will just need to specify sockets for location and of course frequency. (for sidewalks just take a road mesh with sidewalk, works perfectly fine)

    Just look at the editor in preparation :

    Name:  EditorRoadConfiguration.png
Views: 10312
Size:  366.0 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by PMRhynedahll
    Rhynedahll
    Hopefully this will come with multiple road types?

    Roman, dirt, gravel, etc?
    You can put whatever mesh you want for roads and crosses. My meshes and material on it is just an example.

    Thanks all for support.

  7. #7
    0
    Great work! Hope it makes it to the marketplace soon!

  8. #8
    0
    +1
    Looks interesting and long overdue.
    Bet this will be very popular....

  9. #9
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sarchasm View Post
    Great work! Hope it makes it to the marketplace soon!
    It will be release both on marketplace and outside the marketplace, because the tool is almost done in his first version, and for the marketplace, c++ plugins
    do not seem to able to be release right away. But of course i will submit my plugin to Epic.

    Quote Originally Posted by franktech View Post
    +1
    Looks interesting and long overdue.
    Bet this will be very popular....
    We hope so, we can do a lot of things from this plugin, and affordable for indies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirk View Post
    This would be beneficial for stuff like guard rails
    I forgot to say in the version after the release, we plan to add rivers and bridges, so you will be able to define " side spline " for your guard rails on a road, and activate desactivate on segments because rules and runtime can have different value, even if they share similar attributes at generation. I hope I made ​​myself clear.

  10. #10
    0
    Looking forward to this, great work

  11. #11
    0
    Luminary
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,669
    Questions:

    1. How much will this cost?
    2. Does this work with the world composition toolset?
    3. Will this support Bridges?

  12. #12
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    1. How much will this cost?
    Little less than 100$ at start.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    2. Does this work with the world composition toolset?
    Plugin main object is on persitent level. All game objects generated by the plugin belong to the level of the landscape on it. So if you hide a level, it will hide the road and unload height data for the landscape i work with.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    3. Will this support Bridges?

    If the development is viable for me , version after release will inlude auto bridge rules and side splines. In fact it already support bridge if you disable auto digging for a road family. But you need to have a cross for transition beetween the road and the bridge.
    Last edited by Le Samedi; 02-11-2016 at 11:02 PM.

  13. #13
    0
    Luminary
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,669
    So, last question and I will leave you alone for a little bit.

    Are there any plans for open street map integration with this tool?

    I would like to import a file from open street map and just let the tool auto populate a neighborhoods road network.

  14. #14
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    So, last question and I will leave you alone for a little bit.
    Yes i have work to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadClot View Post
    Are there any plans for open street map integration with this tool?
    There is a lot of plans for this tool, and openstreetmap data is in, everything about road in fact. For now we focus on release, and next, rivers and bridges with clear editor functionalities. The main goal for now is a designer tool that save a lot of time.

  15. #15
    0
    nice job ,, keep up the good work

  16. #16
    0
    Is this not a god send? The tool looks really smooth and simple to use. Please keep us updated when you implement new features.
    I am also working on a road editor tool with OSM integration, however I am using the experience to better understand programming, we will see how far I get and if I publicize my work.

  17. #17
    0
    Hi Le Samedi,

    One thing that makes your tool much more useful is for the spline to be snapped to landscape while you move it around instead of raise/lowering landscape when you move it around. So the road would follow the shape of the landscape. Do you think you can include such an option?

    Cheers.

  18. #18
    0
    This looks really good awesome job.

  19. #19
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
    Hi Le Samedi,

    One thing that makes your tool much more useful is for the spline to be snapped to landscape while you move it around instead of raise/lowering landscape when you move it around. So the road would follow the shape of the landscape. Do you think you can include such an option?

    Cheers.
    Yes, not difficult to do, and useful. Plugin will have a shortcut, when pressed, it will disable digging and snap selected points of a road (or a cross) on the ground when moving, so it will fallow the shape of landscape (Functions are already done because you can disable dig and snap on the terrain, i dont show all in the video). When shortcut is realeased, it will reactivate digging, if auto digging is enable of course.

  20. #20
    0
    Looks great.

    Does it have the ability to adjust the width of the road mesh at each spline point as well as I want to use more basic stoney countryside roads that have a natural width variance based on local geographical features?

    Also will it be able to have different road types branching off different road types whilst still using the seamless spline blending? For example, a smaller gravel track branching off a tarmac road? Without having to fuss on creating a manual junction blend?

    If so then day one purchase for me as this is something that I feel should be part of UE4 default engine and if EPIC don't do it themselves then I'll gladly pay you to save me the time!

    Regards

    Slinky

  21. #21
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMuffins View Post
    Does it have the ability to adjust the width of the road mesh at each spline point as well as I want to use more basic stoney countryside roads that have a natural width variance based on local geographical features?
    To be honest, i didn't implement this for now, because scale is for falloff dig, and i didn't want to deform UV and have strange tilling. And for clean width mesh edition, i will have to implement an other transform widget (1 - Location, 2 - Scale for falloff, 3 - Scale for mesh, and 4 - Rotation). But it is clearly possible to scale the width of the road mesh. If I have time, i will try to implement this.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMuffins View Post
    Also will it be able to have different road types branching off different road types whilst still using the seamless spline blending? For example, a smaller gravel track branching off a tarmac road? Without having to fuss on creating a manual junction blend?
    If i clearly understand, i think what you ask is impossible, because you cannot blend beetween two different meshes that have not same vertices configuration (morph prerequisites is a minimum). For the release video, and default content, i will show what you can do, with one-way road, two-way road, and dual carriageway. And if you merge a one-way with a two-way, the plugin will search a "cross" to link beetween the two differents roads, even if your cross have only two outputs. So if you need to blend beetween a gravel track and a tarmac road, you need a cross in your road network configuration that link this two roads (like i show in the editor picture down on the thread). But you have to do your "blend mesh" just one time. Auto crossover will do the job at each meeting of this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlinkyMuffins View Post
    If so then day one purchase for me as this is something that I feel should be part of UE4 default engine and if EPIC don't do it themselves then I'll gladly pay you to save me the time!
    Yes, but Epic is mainly a game studio and they don't do games that need a road network. But they give us the possibility to do this. So i am happy this plugin to be so useful. Thank you for your good words
    Last edited by Le Samedi; 02-19-2016 at 02:28 PM.

  22. #22
    0
    Looks interesting when are looking at submitting it to the marketplace?

  23. #23
    0
    Insta-buy for me hopefully it comes through to the marketplace shortly

  24. #24
    0
    Thank you for support.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjshah View Post
    Looks interesting when are looking at submitting it to the marketplace?
    We first release outside the marketplace (1 week, maybe 2), and after cleaning the integration code, we will directly submit the plugin to Epic.

  25. #25
    0
    Name:  SideObjects.jpg
Views: 9644
Size:  309.4 KB

    We are making the content by default , textures, objects and actors. It remains a small thing to do but it starts to become impressive . It will not be long.

  26. #26
    0
    Patron
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32
    Looking awesome. Cant wait to get my hands on this

  27. #27
    0
    Absolutely gorgeous. One of the few plugins I feel like is so sorely needed and is priced fairly for what it offers!

    Will early buyers of the initial release get updates for free?
    Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
    - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

  28. #28
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Therriault View Post
    Will early buyers of the initial release get updates for free?
    Yes of course.

  29. #29
    0
    wow amazing, I can not wait to have him. Will be possible to export the created road as fbx? example: File>Export All/Export Selected, it work with your plugin?. Great Work.
    Last edited by PeppeDK; 02-29-2016 at 11:27 AM.

  30. #30
    0
    Good question.

    Name:  Export.jpg
Views: 9246
Size:  88.1 KB
    Name:  Export2.jpg
Views: 9232
Size:  61.0 KB

    Yes it works. But it does not seem to export material. Merge actors also works.

    Name:  MergeActors.jpg
Views: 9233
Size:  52.7 KB

    I will try again when i'll put LODs in default content but it seems to work fine.
    Last edited by Le Samedi; 02-29-2016 at 12:45 PM.

  31. #31
    0
    Ok perfect

  32. #32
    0
    I assume you will also have to model roads with sidewalks on the edges as well?

  33. #33
    0
    Name:  Sidewalks.jpg
Views: 9168
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  SideWalks2.jpg
Views: 9207
Size:  66.2 KB

    Yes, if people want my meshes, there will be the same default roads and crosses with and without sidewalks But not a lot, default content is just an example. And a designer will have much better result than a programmer by modeling the road network i think, the purpose of the plugin is to put any mesh you want in. Otherwise, I can do a road pack, but it will be not part of plugin. For next, working on side splines to have one mesh of side walk, guard rails, fences for all type of roads for the second release could be a better idea, we will see.
    Last edited by Le Samedi; 02-29-2016 at 04:44 PM.

  34. #34
    0
    Looking wonderful. Please keep the news of progress coming.

  35. #35
    0
    Infiltrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    18
    Looking awesome! Its perfect for use cases around vehicle simulations which where I want to experiment with.

  36. #36
    0
    Any updates on this?

  37. #37
    0
    Yes, the editor and the toolkit is finished. Currently i am linking slate with runtime plugin functions, assuring me that all is well. I have to finish the meshes, make a final presentation (the video show just the half of the plugin) and it's finish for the first version

    Name:  linking.jpg
Views: 8968
Size:  428.9 KB
    Name:  linking2.jpg
Views: 8994
Size:  357.0 KB

  38. #38
    0
    wow this looks amazing i am soooo ready for this
    Interested in having someone review your game? want to do an interview on it?

    This check out this website.

    Working on a game as well.

  39. #39
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Samedi View Post
    Yes, not difficult to do, and useful. Plugin will have a shortcut, when pressed, it will disable digging and snap selected points of a road (or a cross) on the ground when moving, so it will fallow the shape of landscape (Functions are already done because you can disable dig and snap on the terrain, i dont show all in the video). When shortcut is realeased, it will reactivate digging, if auto digging is enable of course.
    Really waiting for your road tool + that feature. I hope it'll be implemented before release.

  40. #40
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum-Dev View Post
    Really waiting for your road tool + that feature. I hope it'll be implemented before release.
    It's already implemented. It's the "T" key

    Copy paste (ctrl c + ctrl v) also implemented for Shirk.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •