for UE4 (GTX 960M vs 970M)

Hey everyone!

I’m looking for a good for UE4 and ended up with these two options after couple hours of research:

Asus ROG GL752 17,3" (~ $1100)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ / 2.6 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 RAM (2133 MHz)
GPU: GTX 960M (2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM)
Storage: 1TB HDD + 126GB SSD

MSI GE72 2QF Apache Pro 17,3" (~ $1500)
CPU: Intel Core i7 5700HQ / 2.7 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
GPU: GTX 970M (3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM)
Storage: 1TB HDD + 126GB SSD

So it’s a bit of a give and take with the RAM and CPU, but I think the main difference would be the GPU. From what I read so far, the 970 seems to be quite a step up from the 960. But 400$ more is quite a step up as well and I can’t find any precise information about how much better the 970 actually is.

If anyone could give me some advice on what would be the better choice in terms of value for money (and also how these cards perform with UE4, if you have any experience with it), it would be very much appreciated!

I run a GTX860m on my and it runs UE4 perfectly fine. I always have 3 UE4 instances at one time, so you can just go with the cheaper one and save money. I’m also partial to ASUS anything.

Thanks for the replies! Getting a bit of mixed messaging here, but it seems the 970M might actually be the better choice, even if it’s quite a bit more expensive.

As for getting a desktop PC: I actually do have a solid desktop, but I’ll be on the road quite a bit in the future and want to be able to take UE4 with me.

yeah the 970m would be better, as for the brand ASUS do make nice laptops but I have seen quite a few people around the internet having issues with them(especially the earlier ones) which is why I brought a and I can say they are very good laptops, I guess it will mostly come down to your personal preference but if it was my money I’d go MSI.

I actually found a that’s slightly better than the GE72 I had in mind (256GB SSD instead of 126 and apparently better cooling) so I went for that model. Thanks for your input!

your welcome:), although the 256GB SSD probably wont be a single SSD, it will probably have 2x 128GB SSD’s in raid like mine and they load so fast its ridiculous.