Training Stream - Tanks vs. Zombies C++ - Live From Epic HQ

WHAT
We’re kicking off a new C++ focused stream, with and Lauren! We’re making tanks to fight a zombie onslaught, using Paper2D. In the first stream, we’ll go over the project overview and get started building our Tank and Turret. If we have enough time, we’ll start building out our level with Tile Maps.

We’re using a selection of sprites from Kenney.nl’s asset packs (Assets · Kenney). Download these two images, make sure you have VS2015 (with C++ enabled!) and 4.10 installed, and you’ll be set to follow along!

&stc=1

TankTileMap.png&stc=1

The topics we are going to cover are:

• Project Overview
  • Setting Up Your Development Environment
  • Starting the Project
  • Building Our Tank Pawn
  • Adding The Turret Actor
  • Tiling the Level

WHEN**
Tuesday, Feb 16th @ 2:00PM-3:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE

WHO

• Training Content Creator )
  • Sr Learning Resource Engineer

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember, while we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Archive:

Here’s a link to the code we created: https://epicgames.box.com/s/1s4yt9e1…djau163f0be0yl

Awesome! Look forward to it.

That is great. We need more C++ focused streams

Good! I’ll mark the date down on my calendar! I do have one question though will the source code be available once the project is complete.

Thank you epic!!!

This so much, especially on advanced topic.

Will this broadcast be uploaded for those of us who will miss it?

But I just bought the C++ tutorial on Udemy… R.I.P 17$ :3

They usually post the source up front pretty quickly (see battery project). BUT, the actual UE4 project still not up…

I can’t wait I’ll see you guys tuesday.

I bought the Udemy C++ course too!! This training should be announced earlier.

This is going to be awesome !!

Perfect! I’m currently learning C++ in UE4, though I don’t think I can attend the stream. I hope it will be uploaded somewhere once it’s done. :slight_smile:

Those are still good! They’ll teach you different stuff than what we’ll cover, so there’s no loss on your part, only more good stuff.

Hi! Really glad you guys are excited for the stream next week. :slight_smile: We will upload the video afterwards to YouTube and you’ll be able to find it in our Live Training Stream Video Archive: A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums. Source code will go up after each video so you’ll be prepared for the next video in the series, too.

Scrolling through the outline for the Udemy C++ course, I think we’ll definitely be covering different material, so no worries on that front. For our C++ tutorials, we generally try to build upon basic C++ knowledge of declaring classes, functions, and variables of basic data types with Unreal Engine-specific syntax and using the gameplay framework classes. The C++ course and these training streams should complement each other. :slight_smile:

Tune in next Tuesday!

Even if they melded in some ways or another, I normally believe the way one person does something will always be completely different than how another person will do something. So I consider it a great opportunity to see contrasts and comparison from execution to coding style. I can’t wait :smiley:

Nice, will try to make it!

I’m kinda more hyped for the Paper2D top-down Tile Map stuff than the C++ part :slight_smile:
Excited to see what new things I’ll learn there.

This is great !! More C++ and then I will leave Unity (once and for all :slight_smile: )

Nice! Thank you!