User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wasabi Horizon

Wasabi Horizon

Wasabi Horizon

Wasabi Horizon is a 2D, action adventure game that allows the player to explore distinct environments, battle hordes of enemies, and traverse through otherworldly dungeons, in order to save the land from the armies that plague it.

Wasabi Horizon is currently being developed using Paper2D

Features:

Name:  Wasabi WIP Unreal 3.jpg
Views: 3838
Size:  75.1 KB

Tumich Wasabi, an octopus learned in the ways of the warrior who becomes unwittingly involved in a battle between two forces the likes of which may not ever be fully comprehend. When Wasabi’s once familiar island home becomes the warped staging ground for the forces of the Four Seasons, Wasabi will embark on a quest rich with discovery and filled with the true spirit of adventure. On this quest Wasabi will come face to face with overwhelming enemies both brutal and cunning, marshalled by forces hellbent on the spread of chaos, all the while, an ominous figure weaves a mysterious path through the land. Throughout this adventure, Wasabi will discover who is truly behind this invasion and bring balance back to the island.

Name:  Wasabi WIP Unreal 2.jpg
Views: 3825
Size:  58.2 KB

There are four main environments for Wasabi to explore and each will depict a different element and season. They will also feature a rich and expansive history interwoven throughout it, told through exploration, breathtaking landmarks, and humorous island folk.

The game is focused on combat, offering many types of enemies to battle as well as different weapons to chose from. Wasabi must traverse through each of the warlords’ fortresses in order to free the lands. Each warlord bested in combat will provide Wasabi with their weapon along with different abilities. Throughout this adventure, enemies will drop erratic crystal power ups which may temporarily bestow powers or curses onto Wasabi in a “Roulette system”.

Gameplay
    Explore stylish environments of a land on the edge of eradication

Things To Come:
    Fight through time warped fortresses
    Fast paced combat against the hordes of the Four Seasons
    Wield the forces of artifact weapons
    Harness unstable power crystal to unleash unimaginable powers
    Rich and humorous storytelling

Style
    Surreal characters depictions and outlandish environments.
    Traditional Hand Drawn Animations

Current Build:

Name:  Wasabi WIP Unreal.jpg
Views: 3811
Size:  56.3 KB

Wasabi’s Movement and attacking have been implemented as well as a primitive dodge.

An enemy has been created to be the base for future enemy types.

3 Powerups<Power Crystals> have been created to feature the roulette system and the base for the roulette system has been finalized and tested

An Environment has been drawn and implemented by the designer and artist that will be a base for future experimentation and land building with more textures and sprites.

We’ll keep you posted on future updates here with more implementations and concept art!

Name:  Wasabi WIP Unreal 5.jpg
Views: 3786
Size:  73.1 KB

Concept Art Update 02-10-2016

Name:  wasabi banner_WIP2.png
Views: 3633
Size:  358.8 KB

Credits
    Created and Developed by Good War Games.
    Twitter: @goodwargames
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/goodwargames
    Instagram: goodwargames
    Last edited by Pedwar2; 07-15-2016 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added new Wasabi Demo Video

Wow! I LOVE the character art and visuals of everything!

Is this paper 2D?

Quote Originally Posted by Macroh View Post
    Wow! I LOVE the character art and visuals of everything!

Is this paper 2D?
    Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, this is being put together with paper 2D. We have been hitting some obstacles with z rendering. The only solution we've come up with to getting the desired effect of the character moving behind items, but over that same item when in front of them was the biggest hurdle. We are looking for a better way to do it.

DUDE THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I love the color scheme you went with for the game and the music!

Concept Art Update 02-10-2016

Quote Originally Posted by JWright68 View Post
    DUDE THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I love the color scheme you went with for the game and the music!
    Thanks for the feedback. Here is a new concept poster our artist just finished up. Enjoy!

Name:  wasabi banner_WIP.png
Views: 3641
Size:  774.3 KB

This game looks great, surprised no one else is commenting on it! I love the art style

I would be vary curious as to how you got the z depth working - you said it was troublesome but still, how? I've been wanting to merge my gamemaker project into UE4 for a long time now, which acts as a Diablo top down game similar to the view used in this. Gamemaker makes it super easy and almost automatic, but so far I've seen no real easy way to do it UE4 either.

Z render solution on objects (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Higuy8000 View Post
    This game looks great, surprised no one else is commenting on it! I love the art style

I would be vary curious as to how you got the z depth working - you said it was troublesome but still, how? I've been wanting to merge my gamemaker project into UE4 for a long time now, which acts as a Diablo top down game similar to the view used in this. Gamemaker makes it super easy and almost automatic, but so far I've seen no real easy way to do it UE4 either.
    Thank you for the support! The projects on your site look terrific as well.

With the paper 2D system, for the z depth, we had to find a temporary workaround until we find a better system for this particular style of game, . Our solution for now is that for every object we have in the world that Wasabi interacts with (rocks, walls, trees, etc) is made up of two copies of that same object that have different render geometries showing: top part and bottom part. We then layer both copies of that object on top of each other and give each piece a different render translucency sort priority. The top part will have a higher priority than Wasabi (creates illusion that character is behind) and a lower priority for the bottom part (creates illusion of the character is in front). Then we place a collision box where needed (usually on the copy of the item that is on the bottom) in order to finish creating the illusion. In the video, there are a few examples of this effect. The first is at 0:15 where Wasabi walks behind a tree. The the next ones are at 0:28-0:30 where the character walks behind a rock and the gate.

I know that the explanation can get confusing so if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.
    Last edited by Pedwar2; 02-11-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Awesome art direction, and awesome gameplay! Have played this game, Good War Games sure know how to make them as good looking as fun! Would totally love to see it go 2.5D if not full 3D tbh

Quote Originally Posted by DonMorti View Post
    Awesome art direction, and awesome gameplay! Have played this game, Good War Games sure know how to make them as good looking as fun! Would totally love to see it go 2.5D if not full 3D tbh
    Nah, keep it 2D. we need more love for Paper2D ! :P

I like the art style aswell. Good luck on getting this done!
    Fighting Game Template: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleon View Post

Haha I agree, and I will try my best to make sure that we stay paper2d

I've been following your work with the Unreal Fighter2d stuff for a bit now and your approval means a lot, so thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DonMorti View Post

Thank you both for the support! It truly means the world to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedwar2 View Post
    Thank you for the support! The projects on your site look terrific as well.

With the paper 2D system, for the z depth, we had to find a temporary workaround until we find a better system for this particular style of game, . Our solution for now is that for every object we have in the world that Wasabi interacts with (rocks, walls, trees, etc) is made up of two copies of that same object that have different render geometries showing: top part and bottom part. We then layer both copies of that object on top of each other and give each piece a different render translucency sort priority. The top part will have a higher priority than Wasabi (creates illusion that character is behind) and a lower priority for the bottom part (creates illusion of the character is in front). Then we place a collision box where needed (usually on the copy of the item that is on the bottom) in order to finish creating the illusion. In the video, there are a few examples of this effect. The first is at 0:15 where Wasabi walks behind a tree. The the next ones are at 0:28-0:30 where the character walks behind a rock and the gate.

I know that the explanation can get confusing so if you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it very much. I'll have to start toying around with it and see if I can get it working myself. If there is one thing that should be made a clear example and/or integrated into Paper 2d, its a feature like this. So many games use this view/style, no idea why it wasn't supported or a content example made available . If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask you! Good luck on your project!

Update 02-19-2016

Update: Sprint has been implemented. GIFs for reference.

Sprint:

Sprint Stopping

Turning

Attack Stop

Camera Change

New Wasabi Animations WIP
    Name:  DeathAnimation.gif
Views: 3400
Size:  63.3 KB
    Name:  FrontRun1.gif
Views: 3376
Size:  9.6 KB

Yaaaay Update! Gogogo! Looking nice. ^_^

Yaaaay Update! Gogogo! Looking nice. ^_^
    Thank you, trying to put in that paper2d work naw mean

Paper 2D: Small Animation and Dodge update

UPDATE 02-26-2016: Two More Key frame animations!

As well as a refined dodge based on command inputs!

Good War Games.
    Unreal Engine WIP: Hyper:BAE
    Unreal Engine WIP: Wasabi Horizon

Update 03-04-2016

Small update:

- Weapon concept art are in progress
    - Weapon system has been prototyped. Currently awaiting testing.
    - Story development in progress.
    Good War Games.

Roar! Do more! :3

Update 03-11-2016 - Weapon Concepts

Update 03-11-2016:

Wasabi Horizon OST (In progress)- https://soundcloud.com/suezo/sets/wasabi-horizon-ost
    Weapon Switch System in Progress
    Level Layout Design is in progress.
    Story is in progress of development.
    Various Weapon Concepts

Name:  Weapons1.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  586.6 KB
    Good War Games.

Update 03-19-2016 - Movement and Demo Dungeon WIP

Update 03-19-2016 - Movement and Demo Dungeon WIP

Camera Lag added to give Movement a sense of fluidity.

Demo Dungeon Layout WIP. Each green room will be a locked room battle event.

Name:  bf4cf7222d3846cfa8d6512864194ae7.png
Views: 2935
Size:  97.0 KB

Line Shocking Boss Pattern Examples. This is one of the demo boss powers, work in progress using zelda placeholders

Name:  Line Shocking Patterns 1.png
Views: 2911
Size:  140.1 KB
    Good War Games.

Update: 03-26-2016

Update: New Boss Skill Mock up, Bolt/Beam, using Zelda placeholders

Name:  Basic_Charge_Lightning_Bolt.png
Views: 2821
Size:  228.8 KB

Demo Boss Concept

Name:  new boss concept.PNG
Views: 2844
Size:  639.3 KB

New Wasabi Character Concepts: Different details and colors are being tested on Wasabi's character model

Name:  Wasabi color pallette.PNG
Views: 2789
Size:  116.9 KB
    Good War Games.

Update 04-01-2016

Character Concept Art Update.

** We would like to thank the Unreal Engine team for the Community Spotlight! It means a lot to us and motivated us even more. **

Potential Companion for Wasabi

Name:  onigiri concept.PNG
Views: 2584
Size:  360.4 KB

Town Mayor- Acro

Name:  Mayor Acro concept.PNG
Views: 2570
Size:  446.3 KB

Enemy Mob Demo Concepts

Name:  Demo enemies.PNG
Views: 2575
Size:  657.5 KB
    Good War Games.

Wow this is some killer concept art! Great work!!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWaltherMedia View Post
    Wow this is some killer concept art! Great work!!
    Thanks! We're working hard to make sure our art captures hearts and souls.
    Good War Games.

UE Community Manager
    I really love Mayor Acro's design! Nice update
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
    yay! Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
    Thank you! We can't wait till we have all the characters finalized and in the engine running around. That update post will be glorious!
    Good War Games.

Update 04-09-2016

Update - Concept Art and Design

This week there is a small update for art and design. There are a few things in the works that are not ready to show in the update just yet. Implementation for paper2d assets into the engine will hopefully start within the month once most of the art concepts are finalized. In the meantime, enjoy some more cool looking stuff!

Demo Boss Ability Design mock up

Name:  Whack-a-mole.png
Views: 2338
Size:  747.3 KB

Wasabi's Sensei concept - Meet Sensei
    Name:  sensei concept.PNG
Views: 2290
Size:  255.7 KB

Early WIP of Wasabi communication device UI - The Cuboid. *Looks an awful lot like a phone :3*

Name:  Wasabi Phone - Cuboid.png
Views: 2251
Size:  89.9 KB
    Good War Games.

This is just becoming great, keep up the good work Senpai!

Update 04-16-2016

Update - Chat/Communications Concepts, Line Charge boss Ability Prototype

Another small update.

First up, A couple of in game chat UI concepts.

Next up - Prototype of one of the Boss abilites for the demo. This prototype is functional and lets us control any pattern based on a grid of any size. The yellow signifies where the attack will damage and the red is the execution.

Good War Games.

Update 04-23-2016

Art Update:
    We got a big update today. First off, we want to present the new reworked Wasabi model that we will be going forward with. Wasabi's design has evolved over many iterations and this one is the best one yet. Let us know what you think!

Name:  Wasabi idle poses.PNG
Views: 2104
Size:  381.4 KB

Along with the new rework, we have our first engine ready animation. Would be great if the engine would support the animation notifies for paper2d. Now, without further ado:

Along with the new Wasabi rework, we got some more art concepts and UI arts.

First up, a concept animation for an in game pick up that you have to slash through to open! Whats inside? Nobody knows

Next up, a new WIP Health/resource UI.

Name:  HUD UI NEW.PNG
Views: 2063
Size:  26.3 KB

Last but not least, an iteration on the chat system UI.

Name:  Chat UI New.PNG
Views: 2042
Size:  629.6 KB

That's all for this week! Let us know what you guys think so far. We are working hard to get our demo done. We will be showcasing at Florida Supercon on July 4th weekend, if anyone will be in South Florida at that time, stop by and say hello!

Cheers
    Good War Games.

This game has so much style!

I can't wait to see some more killer gameplay

And of course, seeing paper2d being used is great! Keep up the good work!

Woah, you're making fast progress with this. Always nice to see other people using Paper2D.

I absolutely love the bright, bold colours!

Will you be sharing the demo online, or only playable at the event? Would love to check it out but I'm the other side of the world

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWaltherMedia View Post
    This game has so much style!

I can't wait to see some more killer gameplay

And of course, seeing paper2d being used is great! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the support we appreciate it very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    Woah, you're making fast progress with this. Always nice to see other people using Paper2D.

I absolutely love the bright, bold colours!

Will you be sharing the demo online, or only playable at the event? Would love to check it out but I'm the other side of the world
    Thanks! We are trying to keep weekly updates for everyone, regardless of how small, we want to keep the community informed. About the demo, we do have plans to release it online, though it will most likely be after the event and it has been fixed up and optimized.

Everyone is welcome to follow us on our pages for any updates as well!
    Good War Games.

UE Community Manager
    Looking really good! Good luck finishing off your demo, can't wait to see more

Update 04-30-2016

Update: New Animations and New WIP Level Layout

Hey everyone! Small update this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess.Hider View Post
    Looking really good! Good luck finishing off your demo, can't wait to see more
    Thank you for the kind words, Jess. We plan to continue making progress and sharing our project with everyone!

Going to slowly be pumping out animations. For this week we have Wasabi's right facing running animation.

We also have a new work in progress level layout. Nothing fancy yet, but its coming. Going to a more natural layout, for the purpose of an outside setting.

Our blueprints/ test levels are made with the Tilemap editor. The editor still seems to have some problems, as it crashes the engine quite frequently. The editor has improved overtime, especially with the addition of different layers. It would useful to have separate collisions for each layer that can be placed in the tilemap instead of the same collision for each one.

We are also working on some more story concepts and dialogues!
    Last edited by Pedwar2; 04-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    Good War Games.

Update 05-07-2016

Update: New Animation and Boss Ability Prototype

Hey everyone, got another weekly update on our lovely paper2d project.

First off, we have another Wasabi running animation. This time, we have the Running up animation.

Next up, we continued prototyping another demo boss ability: The Lightning bolt/beam.

This ability is going to be the boss' bread and butter. The boss will constantly borrow and emerge from the ground throughout the fight and shoot Wasabi with these beams. Here is the first prototype gifs (still early WIP.)

Let us know what you think of the project so far! Don't forget to follow us on our social medias (in the links in the sig!) to keep track of our progress, as well as any events and updates!
    Good War Games.

Update 5-13-2016

Update - Art, Prototypes, and Enemy Flowcharts, oh my!

Hey everyone! This week we got another update on the progress of your favorite paper2d project, **wink wink**.

First up, we got a rough idle pose for the boss we are working on, thoughtfully named Zappadugg. This picture is being used for scale reference. We are still messing with how big Zappa will be compared to Wasabi.

Name:  boss_scale_reference.png
Views: 1753
Size:  261.2 KB

Next up, we have a couple of flow charts that depict how our two regular enemies will function in the demo. They are fairly simple and straightforward, with their attack patters not being very different.

Name:  Heavy_Enemy_1_Flowchart.png
Views: 1724
Size:  54.7 KB Name:  Basic_Enemy_1.png
Views: 1702
Size:  43.8 KB

For this weeks, prototype phase gif, we have another of Zappadugg's abilities. The WHACK-A-MOLE! hue hue

That's all for this week's development update! Let us know what you think!
    Good War Games.

Update 05-20-2016

Update: Boss Charge Blast!

This week in Good War Games update corners we have a small HUD WIP update as well as some nice GIFS of the Boss Charge Blast ability prototypes!

We added some color and slight adjustments to the older concept that was posted earlier.

Name:  NEW UI Redux.PNG
Views: 1645
Size:  37.0 KB

For the Charge Blast, the attack and pattern will get more severe as the fight continues. These gifs are showing different types of attack patterns.

Thanks again for checking out our thread! Drop us a line, don't be shy!
    Good War Games.

Update 05-28-2016

Update: Boss Mechanics, Wasabi Dodge and new Pause Menu

Hey everyone! We are getting very close to finishing up the Boss encounter, mechanics wise. Today we see an example of Zappa's floor line charge patterns, a small materials graphic for Wasabi's dodge, and a new WIP pause menu.

The line charge attack can be made to fit any pattern on the grid. The way it is set up, only one line can come out at a time, but they can be made to come out very fast, sometimes even giving the illusion that the are coming out at the same time. We are using this to give the Zappa's flow of combat some spice. Zappa will cast this attack periodically during the different phases of combat. We are currently working on making many different patterns for the fight.

As for Wasabi. She is going to be dodging a lot in the game. We haven't gotten a dash animation or frames yet, but we have starting playing around with different material settings to give the dash a solid indicator. This is what we've made so far.

A small update to our pause menu to better represent the new aesthetics of the UI.

Once again, thank you everyone to checking out our progress. If you have an questions or comments, feel free to drop us a line. 'Til next time!
    Good War Games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast