Why is the Landscape Paint Tool painting entire squares and not just in the brush?

I looked around the net for how i can paint my terrain but there is a problem . When i create a special material for the terrain with at least 4 layers and i use the paint tool it just apply that layer(materrial) on the full square and don’t paint only where is the brush i dont understand why it is doing it . Please somebody help me .

Im having the same problem. Anyone??

Hi Icailo Korakov,

This is a known issue and is being looked into by our developers. As a temporary workaround, try painting with all of your materials while stopping to let each one compile it’s shaders. Once you do this, go back and try painting with each material and see if that works.

Thanks, TJ

I’m unsure of when it will be fixed, I just know that our developers are looking into it.

As far as painting with all the materials, pick each material and start painting with it. You will see the shaders start compiling, just stop painting until they finish compiling. Then pick the next material and do the same thing. Keep doing that until you have tried painting with all of the materials, then go back and start again. This time the materials should paint without much of an issue.

Hi I am new to the engine and here comes my problem. You said to paint all my materials on the terrain but i have no idea how to do that and how i can stop them to compile the shaders. And because of that and that the engine is new and there isn’t soo much info for that i just can’t do anything . And soo my hope is that to be fixed. And please one more question - Do you have idea when this will happen.

I did what you said. I applied all the materials on the terrain, waited for the shaders to compile and tried again to paint my textures on my terrain. The same result. I created a special material for my terrain :

Do you have any other idea how i can workaround that bug.

What version of UE4 are you using?

Version 4.1

I fixed it this is the material i created and it worked perfect !!

This is the template for each layer and you can create ne layers by switching only the texture. It is simple and works. You do the same for the normal maps. Then you apply that material on to the terain and start painting.Atleast this thing works for me.

I think you can Highlight this post as a solution on the problem for now.
Thank you for the help !!!

You’re welcome, I’m just glad you figured something out that works for you.

Have a good day, TJ

Have a good day!

Hi Ivallo, I have the same problem and I would like to fix it as you did it, but the images are too much small to see every node.

May you be so kind and share the shader or something, to see all the setup and apply it on my material?

Thank you!

Héctor

Hi, Could someone please explain or upload bigger images to know how fix this issue? I keep having the same problem and I don’t know how get a solution for it.

I will apreciate it so much! thanks!

Hi ,

If you click on the image link below the screenshots it will open in another tab and you can zoom-in. Or right-click on the image themselves and save them.

Hi TJ , thanks I Downloaded the images and I Built the shader, but I keep having problems.
It works for a while, but if I start painting with other layer, everything goes to hell, because the new texture erase everything around it, as image shows. Before, the brush painted the square complete, now erases everything (If you see the image, dark gray and gray squares appear, instead the layer color)

I’ve Rebuilt the lights, Recompiled the shader, but nothing works, unless again paint everything in one layer, but if I do that, I will have the same problem again, when I use other layer.

What Can I do? This is kind a frustrating, because I can’t go forward.

I will appreciate any help, thanks!

.-

Did you try the full solution I posted above?

1. Try painting with all of your materials while stopping to let each one compile it’s shaders completely. Once you do this, go back and try painting with each material and see if that works.

2. Another idea is to zoom out, make your brush size very large, paint the entire landscape with each texture. Make sure to stop and let the shaders compile as well, if needed.

If neither of these work, post back and I’ll talk with another dev here that may have more suggestions.

Hi TJ, I tried both alternatives, but none of those worked.
Why could it be happening this? I’m trying to build a material with 5 different textures Are there too much textures for a Material?
Is there a way to cut the mesh of landscape in order of colors that I painted? If I do that, I can make more than one shader and assign it to different meshes.

Thanks again TJ.

I just discovered something else. When I paint a square with 3 different colors, there is no problem, but when I add a 4th color, the squares turns grey and it doesn’t compile correctly again. Is there a Limit with the number of colors that you can paint by square?

Hi g0mo,

The limit for how many Texture Samples you can have active per component is currently 12. Using any more than this and you will only see the grey checkered material rendered on that component (square).

Feel free to post a screenshot of your landscape material.

I’m also having the same issue as g0mo,