How to find out missing input texture in material?

When there is need to use existing asset (material) but in different structure (referenced files are in diferent location), there are missing input texture errors after compiling this new material. Is there a way how to find out the original name of this missing file?

There is a info in the Output Log about missing specific files for that asset, but it is not obvious, where are they belongs to exactly if there is more than one per asset.

Info about expecting filename in editor view in that ERROR! hint message “TextureSample> Missing input texture” would be very helpfull. But there is not such an info.

Any ideas?

I would like to know an answer to this as well, especially since this is potentially a high priority problem. The error message (“Error [SM5] (Node TextureSample) TextureSample> Missing input texture”) is utterly meaningless if the material is not of your own creation and you have hundreds of textures that could possibly go into that missing texture sample node.

1 Like

Yes, it is important problem that occured with me today. You can do simple steps: locate the material in browser by name. Open this file .uasset in editor (I use Total commander). Find by search (Ctrl + F) all used textures with prefix “T_”. Also you can exclude ones that you can see in Unreal Editor.

Right click the material, then “Asset Actions>Migrate…”, you will see all other textures/materials it uses.

Good approach, thank you for the answer. Better to see list of names of all used textures than nothing. But it still gives no answer what texture belongs to what node. When there is dozens of missing, you can only guess where tu put them.

1 Like