Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it typical to use an animtree for the arms in a fps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it typical to use an animtree for the arms in a fps?

I'm looking at the UT example code and it doesn't look like it uses a animTree for the weapon class.

I'm asking because my weapon class uses an AnimNodeSequence to play anims for the players arms (firing, reloading, etc). When attempting to smooth-up the transitions between the animations I realized that there doesn't seem to be any blendIn/blendOut functionality on AnimNodeSequence.

I want to simply add some blends between anims for my fps arms, but not sure how I should proceed. Should i switch it over to using an anim tree?

Thanks in advance.

This may not help in your instance, we are not using a tree (I guess it works?) but use at times additional anims (e.g. test if rifle raised, if so play a lower rifle anim then the reload anim) or you could even lower arms below camera then transition if it was a major blend issue.

Comment

Thanks for your response. Is anyone else using an anim tree for their player arms? I just feel it would be way more flexible for blending between states. For example starting to sprint from a weapon raised position, idle position or firing position would all require different anims just for the transition.

Comment

Not directly for the player arms but I believe the Rocket Launcher uses an AnimTree (for loading up multiple shots?). So using an animtree for the arms as well should be fine.
        Youtube - UnrealEverything

Games:
        [Android] World of Bricks Released!

[TUTORIAL] Edge Detection Post Process Effect using World Normals

2B || !(2B)

Comment

Thanks for the response. So I'm switching over to using an anim-tree. The tree handles the idle/sprinting animation blending. I have an AnimNodeSlot which I use to play the majority of the custom animations (reload, firing, equipping, etc).

One question I have is: Is it possible to get the current playing anim from an AnimNodeSlot, it's rate and playback time-remaining? These seem to be absent from the class (unlike AnimNodeSequecne)...

Comment

See udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimationNodes.html
            Try:

Code:
            AnimNode.GetTimeLeft()
            and
            Code:
            GetPlayedAnimation()
            Used in our game are timers where if we know the length of an anim then set a timer to run at the point you might want to do something else
            Last edited by Yummy-Vegetables; 01-29-2016, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Working...
              X