Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to change lighting channels on foliage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to change lighting channels on foliage?

I have some bushes in an outdoor level placed with the foliage tool. And I have some small rocks in a cave also placed with the foliage tool. I have separate sky lights and directional lights on separate lighting channels for the static meshes in each level. But the foliage seems stuck on the static lighting channel. Is there a way to customize which channels affect foliage?
    Check out Himeko Sutori, the upcoming tactical RPG where you control armies of over 100 unique characters.

And if that's not possible, is there a way to convert placed foliage into static meshes, so that I can change the lighting channels on the static meshes without placing them all by hand?
    Check out Himeko Sutori, the upcoming tactical RPG where you control armies of over 100 unique characters.

Comment

I think you can select the foliage in the editor and export it as a fbx.Than merge in another software and reimport.But than it will be a static mesh and I'm not sure how will you go with the lightmap.(unless you attach one bone to all of the exported combined foliage and make it a skeletal mesh as those don't need the light map channel.)

Comment

exporting the foliage as fbx would be a very bad idea
        each mesh wouldn't be a mesh by itself, but one big mesh. so huge memory impact and no occlusion/frustum culling

to convert foliage into meshes you could try running code in the editor (https://forums.unrealengine.com/lega...rved-in-editor) to access the foliage instance data (https://forums.unrealengine.com/lega...ol-performance) and use that to spawn actors. I'm not sure if the instance data has all the info you need and I don't know if you can actually spawn stuff. worth a try

or maybe accessing the instance data via code allows setting lighting channels
        Last edited by Chosker; 07-25-2018, 01:58 AM.
        Follow me on Twitter!
        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
        Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Thanks very much for the information and advice both of you.

I'll see what info I can get from the foliage instance in the editor. I knew I needed to learn that brush trick ever since I first heard you mention it. Maybe now I'll force myself to go do it.

Comment

Working...
          X