No announcement yet.

Mixed Reality Status update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am on the same boat... Can´t believe I will have to switch to Unity after all...

Comment

Maybe some UE developer can chime in and throw some light over all this, mixed reality is a pretty big deal nowadays with VR.

Cheers!

Comment

It's still on Epics new "future roadmap": https://trello.com/c/g4XR9mXx/130-co...-reality-tools
        but no approx ETA given
        Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Originally posted by MMS_Tester View Post
          I got it running in 4.15 after i copy all the code for my own (marked in code with //Mixed Reality) into my running engine code. Before this i got running an early implementation from here: https://github.com/haowang1013/UE4-MixeReality
          Its allmost the same code like this from the post here: https://github.com/richmondx/UE4-MixedReality only that richmondx add some modification to get some forground calculations.

You only(!) need to copy the code from SteamVRFunctionLibrary.h (...\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Classes)
          and SteamVRFunctionLibrary.cpp, SteamVRHMD.h and SteamVRRender.cpp (...\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\Steam\SteamVR\Source\SteamVR\Private)
          and recompile everything completely new(!).

If you got some problems with this line (you will get problems):
          Code:
          RHICmdList.Clear(true, FLinearColor::Black, false, 0, false, 0, FIntRect());
          you have to replace it with this line:
          Code:
          RHICmdList.ClearColorTexture(BackBuffer, FLinearColor::Black, FIntRect());
          After compiling and seting up you scene with the blueprints (like BP_VRCapture2D)(Or first try the downloaded MR Sample), you have to set this:
          Code:
          [SteamVR.Settings]
          WindowMirrorMode=3
          in the Engine.ini file of your project.

Some optional stuff:
          With the code from tweaq, you put it after "else if (WindowMirrorMode == 3){:" in the SteamVRRender.cpp,
          Code:
          RHICmdList.ClearColorTexture(BackBuffer, FLinearColor::Black, FIntRect());

RendererModule->DrawRectangle(
          				RHICmdList,
          				0, ViewportHeight / 2,
          				ViewportWidth / 2, ViewportHeight / 2,
          				0.0f, 0.3f,
          				0.4f, 0.4f,
          				FIntPoint(ViewportWidth, ViewportHeight),
          				FIntPoint(1, 1),
          				*VertexShader,
          				EDRF_Default);
          you can also add the view from the vr headmount.
          Also you need to remove RHICmdList.ClearColorTexture(BackBuffer, FLinearColor::Black, FIntRect()); in a later codeline.

And with the blueprint action from MeleeCampz you got some other fancy stuff.

cheers
          I was able to get everything running in 4.15.1. Thanks to MMS_Tester, richmondx, MeleeCampz, tweaq, and everyone else who posted here.

I built another small application that allows you to use the Kinect v2 to filter out the background so you don't need a green screen It's sort of limited to the accuracy of the Kinect but it's still cool and helpful because its portable.
          I'd be happy to share that if anyone is interested.

The issue I'm running into with the quad view method is that the resolution seems to be capped very low. Maximizing the window doesn't increase the resolution either. I tried playing around with stuff like increaing r.screenPercentage and r.SetRes but it doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Cool! Could you post a video?

I heard that you need to output to a 4k monitor for better resolution.

At this site: https://streamshark.io/blog/live-stream-mixed-reality/
            I found this:

"It’s important you have a machine that is powerful enough to run VR content at 2K resolution and at a constant frame rate. The reason for 2K resolution is that due to the way mixed reality content is captured, the output resolution will be halved. With a standard 1080p monitor, the final output resolution would be 960 x 540, which is quite small. With 2K resolution (2560×1440), the final output resolution is 1280 x 720. If you want a 1080p stream, then you will need a 4K monitor."

Comment

Originally posted by fabito rychter View Post

I found this:

"It’s important you have a machine that is powerful enough to run VR content at 2K resolution and at a constant frame rate. The reason for 2K resolution is that due to the way mixed reality content is captured, the output resolution will be halved. With a standard 1080p monitor, the final output resolution would be 960 x 540, which is quite small. With 2K resolution (2560×1440), the final output resolution is 1280 x 720. If you want a 1080p stream, then you will need a 4K monitor."
              Thanks for sharing that. I'll post a video soon. I do have a 4k monitor. Plus 2 Titan X's in SLI. Not quite sure what to do about the issue with the resolution

Comment

Originally posted by MeleeCampz View Post
                Hey guys. Unfortunately I have to stop working on my Mixed Reality solution ;(
                However for those still tinkering with the stuff posted in here, you may look at this plugin : https://github.com/chaosgrid/ExtraCamWindow
                It allows to render a camera to a second game window (works in 4.15). If you could combine this with the source for the SteamVR-Plugin mod as well as my shader you could create s pretty sick plugin solution that just works out of the box
                The plugin was very helpful we were able to go up to well beyond even HD with it
                Last edited by KaranMonster; 06-07-2017, 09:12 PM. Reason: updated info

Comment

Just wanted to post what we did at a local makerfaire a few weeks ago: www.flickr.com/nasa_acl
                  As for performance, we have not found a way to have it running with MR at 90fps. We're running an i7, win10, with a 1080 running at 1440p. We even tried using a hdmi capture and capturing on a separate computer. As soon as the MR camera is active/rendering it drops the frame rate. Our "hack" was to have a shortcut to kill or create the camera. So you can at least run 90fps until you want mixed reality.

Comment

Originally posted by fabito rychter View Post

I found this:

Video link is below: https://vimeo.com/220966477

Performance still seems to be a bit of an issue but there should be a solution in place for that pretty soon.

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm looking for any solution to make my VR demo into beautiful video tour. I was waiting for UE mixed reality in April, but they have removed trello board with this announce. Who have working tutorial for 4.16 to make this working? There is bits informations everywhere how to do it, but they all use some external techniques. Are they still actual? Who was able to solve real DSLR camera and Virtual Camera? I can do it offline, I mean, I can shot video on my cell-phone and at the same time I want to be able to rotate camera around me? Maybe I should use Vive-Tracker as a Vrtirual-Camera assistant? Who have clear information about this? Let's do it at least offline, so we can all make VR demos from third view!

Comment

How this guy made this video?

Comment

well... is this game Unity based or Unreal Based?

Cheers.

Comment

I'm not sure about Unity, I have this game for my Vive and I assume they have made it in Unreal Engine

Comment

Arizona Sunshine is made in Unity.

Comment

Why Unreal developers can't make this for so long? I want to be my demos also in the third view, I have Vive and Vive Tracker, I don't mind to use GreenScreen and overlay two videos, but how to capture video from Virtual Third person who is holding Vive tracker and shooting me at the same time?

Comment

Working...
                                X