Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by dkoding View Post

Good question! How would I check that? This used to work but I have switched from Vive to Oculus as a test device recently during development.

Basically, I want a stutter free loading screen to show during level initialization (there is some heavy random level generation occuring). I am a little confused as to how the plugin works with the XR- and Oculus specific library functions? 'Set loading screen/Show loading screen' does not seem to work...
    Oculus will by default load up in the Oculus native module unless you disable it, the functions you are referencing are OpenVR only.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Are you actually in OpenVR or are you in native oculus or OpenXR
    Good question! How would I check that? This used to work but I have switched from Vive to Oculus as a test device recently during development.

Basically, I want a stutter free loading screen to show during level initialization (there is some heavy random level generation occuring). I am a little confused as to how the plugin works with the XR- and Oculus specific library functions? 'Set loading screen/Show loading screen' does not seem to work...
    Last edited by dkoding; 09-25-2020, 02:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

I just patched 4.24+ with a fix for originally scaled meshes with the welded bone driver.

I'll also note that you will need to unsimulate your mesh, set scale, and re-simulate it in order for it to generate the correct collision in the first place if doing this in BP, otherwise the engine doesn't cleanly handle scaling simulating meshes.

In c++ you can force the body to update.
    Hey, thanks for the update and your quick response. I was just able to test this out (we're using BP's) and that fixed my problem!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dkoding View Post
    Hi @mordentral - Has SetSuspendRendering and SetManualCameraFade stopped working? I'm unable to fade the view during loading. Nothing happens to the camera in either case.
    Are you actually in OpenVR or are you in native oculus or OpenXR

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi @mordentral - Has SetSuspendRendering and SetManualCameraFade stopped working? I'm unable to fade the view during loading. Nothing happens to the camera in either case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

Yeah I saw that in the source, its strange to me, cause i didn't change much. Could be the collisions as u mentioned might have gotten changed a bit..

Also could the single grip stiffness be changing after gripping with a second hand? How do the primary and secondary grip stiffnesses work?. I'll have to do some debugging

I'll updste with any findings.
    Its based on the settings in the grip script as to what the per hand values are yes, one hand uses the default settings, and two hands uses the per hand settings in the grip script depending on if the hand is front or back

Leave a comment:

• replied

That shouldn't be the case, its only used in one spot in the code and that is specifically to deny penetration if the bool is true and there is no secondary hand, the bool is checked first so it will be the only check in cases where it is false. It's likely that you have something else going on with stiffness or collision.
    Yeah I saw that in the source, its strange to me, cause i didn't change much. Could be the collisions as u mentioned might have gotten changed a bit..

Also could the single grip stiffness be changing after gripping with a second hand? How do the primary and secondary grip stiffnesses work?. I'll have to do some debugging

I'll updste with any findings.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
    Possible bug, that exists with the templates use of the melee GS.

Cant tell if its my misusing the class or if this has been noted before, but I'm not at my system currently and cant test on a fresh install.

When the melee weapon has 'bOnlyPenetrateWithTwoHands' is set to 'false', penetration acts normally as expected, stabbing works with one hand.
    When two hands grip the blade, penetrate still works.. However now, after the player removes their hand from the weapon, penetration no longer will work with one hand anymore.

Any run into this before?

Thanks again in advanced for any help..
    That shouldn't be the case, its only used in one spot in the code and that is specifically to deny penetration if the bool is true and there is no secondary hand, the bool is checked first so it will be the only check in cases where it is false. It's likely that you have something else going on with stiffness or collision.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Possible bug, that exists with the templates use of the melee GS.

Cant tell if its my misusing the class or if this has been noted before, but I'm not at my system currently and cant test on a fresh install.

When the melee weapon has 'bOnlyPenetrateWithTwoHands' is set to 'false', penetration acts normally as expected, stabbing works with one hand.
    When two hands grip the blade, penetrate still works.. However now, after the player removes their hand from the weapon, penetration no longer will work with one hand anymore.

Any run into this before?

Thanks again in advanced for any help..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dalamo View Post
    Hi,

I try to use the plugin, but i have some problems.

Im using a oculus quest.

In the example map i cant load, i launch in UE4.25 when is loading in my oculus return a message "App can be close" i can launch.

With the tutorial examples of plugin, First i implement a scene and it run perfectly(i enter with oculus and i see a floor, the sky,...) , but when i load the puglin into my scene and i check, the app try load and start but only see dark,dont load the scene.

I check the sdk and ndk and reinstall with the scpecification for 4.25 but i have the problem again.

I'm newbie and sure is a problem of knowledge, but i'm crazy with this.

Thanks in advanced.
    Check your adb debug log, also you will want to disable the openVR module, even though it compiles out implementations when on android its still better to not have it at all for that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

I try to use the plugin, but i have some problems.

Im using a oculus quest.

In the example map i cant load, i launch in UE4.25 when is loading in my oculus return a message "App can be close" i can launch.

With the tutorial examples of plugin, First i implement a scene and it run perfectly(i enter with oculus and i see a floor, the sky,...) , but when i load the puglin into my scene and i check, the app try load and start but only see dark,dont load the scene.

I check the sdk and ndk and reinstall with the scpecification for 4.25 but i have the problem again.

I'm newbie and sure is a problem of knowledge, but i'm crazy with this.

Thanks in advanced.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by EngineerDveloper View Post
    Hey mordentral. First, I really appreciate all the work you put into this plugin.

We're utilizing your grasping (physical) hands and they're working great!. However, when scaling the skeletal mesh hands up using "SetWorldScale3D", the physical animation colliders become mis-matched with the skeletal mesh.

I've tried these two tests on the scaled up hands to no effect:

A. Clearing and resetting the BaseBoneNames array in "SetupWeldedBoneDriver"
    B. Calling "RefreshWeldedBoneDriver"

I believe I've narrowed the problem down to the "SetupWeldedBoneDriver" function as calling this on the scaled up hands produces the mis-matched colliders.

Do you have any recommendations that would help remedy the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance!
    I just patched 4.24+ with a fix for originally scaled meshes with the welded bone driver.

I'll also note that you will need to unsimulate your mesh, set scale, and re-simulate it in order for it to generate the correct collision in the first place if doing this in BP, otherwise the engine doesn't cleanly handle scaling simulating meshes.

In c++ you can force the body to update.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey mordentral. First, I really appreciate all the work you put into this plugin.

We're utilizing your grasping (physical) hands and they're working great!. However, when scaling the skeletal mesh hands up using "SetWorldScale3D", the physical animation colliders become mis-matched with the skeletal mesh.

I've tried these two tests on the scaled up hands to no effect:

A. Clearing and resetting the BaseBoneNames array in "SetupWeldedBoneDriver"
    B. Calling "RefreshWeldedBoneDriver"

I believe I've narrowed the problem down to the "SetupWeldedBoneDriver" function as calling this on the scaled up hands produces the mis-matched colliders.

Do you have any recommendations that would help remedy the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tex-murph View Post
    Hi. The default template works great, but I was curious if the alternate VR Character Controller "Simple_BaseVRCharacter_NotNetworked" is up to date? Looks like it's using pre 4.24 input mappings possibly, and the older version of Get Gripped Actors before it had function pins. Seems like just using the default "Vive_PawnCharacter" is the way most people work with the project, but figured I'd check. Was thinking of starting off with a simpler base functionality possibly. Thanks!
    mmm, yeah actually I thought I had taken that out of the example template already. It was never being used and was a hassle to update alongside the main one so I had dropped it in favor of basic grip tutorials instead.

Originally posted by omfgdude2 View Post
    Hey all,
    I have been having some strange issue with the hands and held objects bouncing around while moving, its worse if there's frame rate drops while level streaming. I have tried setting the mass of the held object way down which helps a lot, but doesn't completely resolve the issue... I feel like I am missing something fairly simple here, hands work fine without an object held, or when an object is place on the body. any insight is appreciated.
    The hands attach to the object when you grip it instead of directly to the controller, that way the objects can have per object grip strengths and settings irrespective of the hands constraint. You'll want to adjust the grip settings on the objects themselves.

Originally posted by Claudelag View Post

And how can i download it and use it as fresh start off? Is the "binaries" here (https://vreue4.com/binaries) that I must download?
    If you don't want to compile the plugin off of the source directly then yes. I do suggest that people keep source copies and update from time to time as its more up to date than the binaries (which are updated with each number version of an engine version), and also gives you more flexibility in the future when wanting to pull in specific fixes.

Originally posted by thegiffman View Post

Thanks - glad you like it! Feel free to use it as you see fit as a thank you for your work. I may ask them to do an updated one with the cinderblock tug-of-war between 3 people, since that's such a cool moment. But our office is upside down this week with filming a shoot, so I can't promise.

A few questions:
    1. Is this plugin, including all the multiplayer functionality, independent from the Advanced Sessions plugin?
    2. How do you resolve discrepancies in multiplayer physics for rigid bodies? Aka, my local simulation says the box falls here, you think it's over there. I did some preliminary work on this (https://twitter.com/thegiffman/statu...03196502065153), following Glenn Fiedler's article (https://developer.oculus.com/blog/ne...ity-and-physx/) but it seems quite tricky.
    Advanced sessions is just in the template as I made it as well, so might as well use it for the lobby portion, you don't need it at all no.

The engine actually handles that itself depending on what mode you use, with client auth if you turn on client authority throwing the client takes ownership of the objects movements post release for a time and then transitions back to the server ( I re-use the physics replication prediction subsystem that ue4 has and inject positional updates from the client to update the server), with server auth the server always handles it post release (causing some hitching on throw based on ping). I do not attempt to group object together based on interactions and who owns the last thing to run into them, that will have many failure cases and is generally far too heavy for what most physicality is used for in VR.

In 4.26+ (ue5) chaos will be capable of a fixed rate update and has a lot of built in physics replication framework so things will be a lot better (when its stable, currently no-where near).
    Last edited by mordentral; 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Welcome to the plugin, and I have to say, their little play around video there is a better showcase of the plugin / template than any of my gifs or text write ups.
    Thanks - glad you like it! Feel free to use it as you see fit as a thank you for your work. I may ask them to do an updated one with the cinderblock tug-of-war between 3 people, since that's such a cool moment. But our office is upside down this week with filming a shoot, so I can't promise.

A few questions:
    1. Is this plugin, including all the multiplayer functionality, independent from the Advanced Sessions plugin?
    2. How do you resolve discrepancies in multiplayer physics for rigid bodies? Aka, my local simulation says the box falls here, you think it's over there. I did some preliminary work on this (https://twitter.com/thegiffman/statu...03196502065153), following Glenn Fiedler's article (https://developer.oculus.com/blog/ne...ity-and-physx/) but it seems quite tricky.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X