VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by graysan View Post
    Congratulations! It may be slower for more than just a bit, lol.

Quick question; I'm using blueprints and have the VRCharacter in my level but how do I access the motion controllers? Do I need to spawn them? If so, where do I attach them?
    VR character comes with the motion controllers as children to the pawn already, if you make a blueprint with it as the parent then you can start controlling it and seeing the components more easily.

If you were to make a custom pawn then you would have to add GripMotionControllers yourself.

The VRCharacter is kind of meant to be an all in one pre-made of the various components (plus some features like navigation require it as it overrides some functions in base character).

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I must have missed something then. The blueprint is a child of the c++ VRCharacter but the motion controllers aren't visible.

The steps I took were;

1. Downloaded 4.13 Re-Write commit 0bd77d0
      2. New Blueprint Project "Virtual Reality" template.
      3. Created "Plugins" directory and copied files across.
      4. Added new C++ class "MyVRCharacter" from Parent Class VRCharacter. Initial compile within UE4 was unsuccessful due to being unable to overwrite binaries so I deleted the binaries and re-compiled in Visual Studio.
      5. Created a blueprint child from MyVRCharacter.
      6. Created a blank level and added MyVRCharacter. The only property of MyVRCharacter I changed was "Auto Possess Player: Player 0".
      7. Play in VRPreview. HMD tracking normal but motion controllers aren't visible.

Comment

Originally posted by graysan View Post
        I must have missed something then. The blueprint is a child of the c++ VRCharacter but the motion controllers aren't visible.

The steps I took were;

1. Downloaded 4.13 Re-Write commit 0bd77d0
        2. New Blueprint Project "Virtual Reality" template.
        3. Created "Plugins" directory and copied files across.
        4. Added new C++ class "MyVRCharacter" from Parent Class VRCharacter. Initial compile within UE4 was unsuccessful due to being unable to overwrite binaries so I deleted the binaries and re-compiled in Visual Studio.
        5. Created a blueprint child from MyVRCharacter.
        6. Created a blank level and added MyVRCharacter. The only property of MyVRCharacter I changed was "Auto Possess Player: Player 0".
        7. Play in VRPreview. HMD tracking normal but motion controllers aren't visible.
        Oh, you need to attach something to them. They don't have meshes, they are just the component themselves, what they look like is up to the user.

You can also pull the players SteamVR Controllers in with the SteamVRLibraryFunctions component and a procedural mesh component attached to the controllers, but since that is more complicated and you just want to test for now, just attach some spheres to the GripMotionControllers.
        Last edited by mordentral; 09-28-2016, 08:29 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
          Oh, you need to attach something to them. They don't have meshes, they are just the component themselves, what they look like is up to the user.

You can also pull the players SteamVR Controllers in with the SteamVRLibraryFunctions component and a procedural mesh component attached to the controllers, but since that is more complicated and you just want to test for now, just attach some spheres to the GripMotionControllers.
          Doh! Got it. Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Just pushed a new commit

Code:
            09/28/2016- 4.13 migration update

Locked previous plugin to 4.12 locked branch so that 4.10-4.12.5 builds would have a stable version.

Re-wrote navigation for 4.13 specifically, removed legacy 4.12 compatible code

Removed all supporting code for past engine versions

Changed how parent relative component calculates its Yaw to remove a slight offset that was triggering my OCD.

Renamed Default branch to Master, is now 4.13 compatible only.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Mordentral is there any way you could compile a version with the 4.12 oculus forward renderer
              https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.12-ofr

Comment

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                Hi Mordentral is there any way you could compile a version with the 4.12 oculus forward renderer
                https://github.com/Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine/tree/4.12-ofr
                If you are using the oculus forward renderer already than you can just compile it yourself, the locked 4.12 branch should be compatible with it as 4.11 was still compatible with that version last I checked (in case its missing commits). I have a version on the NVIDIA multires 4.12 branch that is working just fine as well as one on the NVIDIA VR GameWorks 4.12 Branch.

You'll need a source file in your project to package anyway as it isn't an Engine plugin.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

No it doesn't compile I'm afraid I think its because it uses the 4.12.4 branch of UE. It starts out saying its building then after about five minutes it gives an error message.

Comment

No it doesn't compile I'm afraid I think its because it uses the 4.12.4 branch of UE. It starts out saying its building then after about five minutes it gives an error message.
                    Whats the error message?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Whats the error message?
                      It asks if I want to rebuild as normal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wouldyouliketobuild.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1116031

Then it starts the build.

Name:	StartBuild.JPG
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1116032

Then after about 5 minutes it gives this error.

Name:	Couldnotbecompiled.JPG
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1116033

Comment

It asks if I want to rebuild as normal.
                        Oh, you have to do what it asks, open up a project file (solution file, SLN) and build the project. It can't always build plugins correctly from the auto build during launch. Mostly when switching engine versions entirely.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Oh, you have to do what it asks, open up a project file (solution file, SLN) and build the project. It can't always build plugins correctly from the auto build during launch. Mostly when switching engine versions entirely.
                          I'm sorry what do you mean open up the project file? If you mean double click (open) the uproject file then that's what I'm doing.

Edit: Ahh hang on you mean open up the visual studio file. What do I do from there though? Just click build f5?

Comment

It just gives the same error when I try to rebuild from the sln file.

Name:	Rebuild1.JPG
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1116034

Name:	Rebuild2.JPG
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1116035

Comment

I'm sorry what do you mean open up the project file? If you mean double click (open) the uproject file then that's what I'm doing.

Edit: Ahh hang on you mean open up the visual studio file. What do I do from there though? Just click build f5?
                              Right click on your project name on the right window and left click on build or click on build in the menu and build your project name (not the entire engine). You can build F5 but it will launch from the IDE then, and you don't need to do that, once it is built you can open it like normal from the UPROJECT.

*Edit* If it didn't pick up on the plugin then click on REBUILD instead.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Right click on your project name on the right window and left click on build or click on build in the menu and build your project name (not the entire engine). You can build F5 but it will launch from the IDE then, and you don't need to do that, once it is built you can open it like normal from the UPROJECT.

*Edit* If it didn't pick up on the plugin then click on REBUILD instead.
                                Hi Mordentral its just not working. I tried build and when I tried to start the uproject it asked to build and failed to build. The same thing happened with rebuild (which took much longer) tried to build again when I clicked on uproject.

Name:	Game1.JPG
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	1116046

Comment

Working...
                                X