VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Link_AJ View Post
    How do I add the VRExpansionFunctionLibrary to a Pawn? Isn't it supposed to be a component? I can't access the functions.

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    Open up the pawn, add component, OpenVRExpansionFunctionLibrary.

As of the last update the VRExpansionLibrary is a blueprint library only as the only reason it was a component was because of SteamVR features. Now the OpenVRExpansionLibrary is a component and handles the OpenVR specific functions.

This way if you ever want to totally remove OpenVR (for say Oculus Home) you can just disable the plugin for it separately.

*Edit* Judging by your screenshot you have the new module either not enabled or not compiled. It should enable by default, so I assume you did that on purpose. In that case you should be able to find the VRExpansionLibrary functions without a reference as they are all static blueprint nodes (right click on blueprint editor, search VRExpansion or the name of the node). If you wanted the OpenVR specific stuff you'll have to re-enable the plugin and add the component.
    Its been a while since I used this plugin. I just updated it to 4.17 and the ability to add OpenVRExpansionFunctionLibrary to a pawn is gone. How do you do it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobohotpants View Post
      I'm trying to create my own grippable actor and I'm having trouble with the socket snapping. Everything else works and I can't seem to figure out where and how to apply the socket information. I read the wiki and I don't understand where the grip function happens. With context sensitive on the grip function doesn't appear for any of the components I try to add it to. Did I miss an example in the project? Can anybody point me in the right direction?
      Just add a socket to the mesh, the static meshes now can have sockets as well since like 4.9 or something. Then you name the socket either VRGripP1 or VRGripS1 (Primary grip #1 / Secondary Grip #1) and it will use that location.
      You can check out the gun in the example template, the mesh for it has several sockets in it.

The names are prefixes so it knows if the socket is for primary grips or secondary, the number afterwards is just so that they have different names.

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Link_AJ View Post
      How do I add the VRExpansionFunctionLibrary to a Pawn? Isn't it supposed to be a component? I can't access the functions.

Its been a while since I used this plugin. I just updated it to 4.17 and the ability to add OpenVRExpansionFunctionLibrary to a pawn is gone. How do you do it now?
      Nope! Since 4.16 Epic finally updated to a newer Steam version on the backend, this means that I no longer have to manually load and call .DLL functions for that utility library.

All nodes are now static and can be used from anywhere without a component.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Just add a socket to the mesh, the static meshes now can have sockets as well since like 4.9 or something. Then you name the socket either VRGripP1 or VRGripS1 (Primary grip #1 / Secondary Grip #1) and it will use that location.
        You can check out the gun in the example template, the mesh for it has several sockets in it.

The names are prefixes so it knows if the socket is for primary grips or secondary, the number afterwards is just so that they have different names.
        I suspected that and set up my static mesh with a socket named exactly what was used on the gun example. I created a socket using VRGripP1 but it doesn't snap. Just to be clear, I'm not using any of your grippable components. I only created an actor blueprint , static mesh component and added the Vr Grip Interface. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobohotpants View Post
          I suspected that and set up my static mesh with a socket named exactly what was used on the gun example. I created a socket using VRGripP1 but it doesn't snap. Just to be clear, I'm not using any of your grippable components. I only created an actor blueprint , static mesh component and added the Vr Grip Interface. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
          You will need to fill in the "GetClosestSocketInRange" function in the interface then, there is a default helper node that you can just connect to it.

The reason it is overridable and in the interface and not just searching, is for hot swapping locations or "snap when active, free grip when not" kind of things.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

So far input in here and in the support discord has been varied enough that I will be re-shelving thoughts of re-factoring the suggested areas.

Going to make a video going over the interactibles tomorrow, intended to do it today but life got in the way.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Cool, I look forward to it!

Comment

You rock, I love this plug-in!
                Last edited by LCCssumsion; 08-15-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Little go over video of the two new interactible components and something special using them and 4.17.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Lots of manual work, I know of "two?" people combining them already in my support discord. It doesn't work right out of the gate because the version that they (weaponmaster devs) use for themselves using my plugin isn't the marketplace version. Also they don't have any multiplayer support so if you want that then it will take a decent amount of re-factoring to get working correctly.

That being said if you don't care about physics based grips or the replication/multiplayer you can just literally use the weapon pack with the movement parts of the plugin and ignore all of the interaction stuff that the plugin provides. Its not mandatory to use the GripMotionControllers special features, or even use a hybrid where it uses their stuff for guns and the grip controllers for other things.

Honestly I really wish that some of the gun pack devs would just start making generic interfaces for their systems so that they could tie into anyone's interaction systems. Out of the three (or four) weapon systems on the marketplace / available none of them provide generic interfaces to tie into systems people already use, instead they all rely on straight coding in the interactions themselves, I feel like this is a major mistake that they are all making as if it was done correctly someone could make a pack that could tie in with any project already in the works.
                    As the Weapon Master VR Dev, I would like to comment on this; the reason I did things the way I did is 1.) I am not yet comfortable with interfaces coming from an inheritance background and 2.) I didn't want to "Copy" anyone's logic and get in trouble (really worried about this all the time). I assume for me to do what you wish I would have to make all of the events that pass on to the weapons generic and in identical to yours? What about variables passed through that you don't current pass with your grip logic? I am actually looking at changing to interfaces when we do our multiplayer update (version 2.0) later this year. When we get around to that would you be willing to help test the integration? I may even look into it for version 1.2 (1.1 is too close to being finished and released to go back to the drawing board).

I have mentioned in our thread that the best (current) way to combine Weapon Master and this plugin is to uses this plugins locomotion and our grab/weapon logic. I would like to make it clear that we have NOT integrated The OpenVR Expansion Plugin into our internal Weapon Master builds yet. Its something I really want to do but with about 20 features currently on the list of things to add, I simply haven't had time.

Thats said our actual game will be an amalgamation of WMVR and OVREP. Your locomotion is just far superior to ours due to the hoops we had to go through just to implement the stuff we wanted through blueprint (Yay c++).

I think my biggest worry is to "step on your toes" in some way but if peeps really want it I am willing to make big changes to what we have to make it better. Including your idea for generic interfaces.
                    Last edited by OneShotGG; 08-16-2017, 04:03 PM.
                    Heavy Diesel Softworks, LLC - Owner
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheRedfoxx777
                    Weapon Master VR Tutorial Stream Every Monday 2:30pm to 5pm CST.https://www.twitch.tv/redfoxx777
                    Assets:
                    Weapon Master VR

Comment

Originally posted by OneShotGG View Post
                      As the Weapon Master VR Dev, I would like to comment on this; the reason I did things the way I did is 1.) I am not yet comfortable with interfaces coming from an inheritance background and 2.) I didn't want to "Copy" anyone's logic and get in trouble (really worried about this all the time). I assume for me to do what you wish I would have to make all of the events that pass on to the weapons generic and in identical to yours? What about variables passed through that you don't current pass with your grip logic? I am actually looking at changing to interfaces when we do our multiplayer update (version 2.0) later this year. When we get around to that would you be willing to help test the integration? I may even look into it for version 1.2 (1.1 is too close to being finished and released to go back to the drawing board).

I have mentioned in our thread that the best (current) way to combine Weapon Master and this plugin is to uses this plugins locomotion and our grab/weapon logic. I would like to make it clear that we have NOT integrated The OpenVR Expansion Plugin into our internal Weapon Master builds yet. Its something I really want to do but with about 20 features currently on the list of things to add, I simply haven't had time.

Thats said our actual game will be an amalgamation of WMVR and OVREP. Your locomotion is just far superior to ours due to the hoops we had to go through just to implement the stuff we wanted through blueprint (Yay c++).

I think my biggest worry is to "step on your toes" in some way but if peeps really want it I am willing to make big changes to what we have to make it better. Including your idea for generic interfaces.

No, nothing needs to be identical to another system in order to be generic enough to be used by it, that wasn't my point. My plugin isn't the only interaction system out there that isn't easily compatible with the gun (and other) packs out there.

All of the clip / damage / aiming logic can literally be the same, the issue is when the actual interaction is hard coded into things it isn't flexible enough to quickly switch out. There should be fallbacks from the hard coded systems or direct methods to tie in without large re-writes.

IE: Giving clips a bindable event they fire off when ready to "dock" instead of actually performing it themselves or using any particular system, giving any system the ability to drop or correctly use the right logic on that occurrence. Its not specific to your pack either, I wasn't trying to insult you.

Right now most of the VR stuff is "use it as is or recode it" and that limits a lot of potential for interchangeability (like using one melee system with another gun system with a custom interaction system that was in the project already).

*Edit* Missed the testing integration stuff and "Step on toes"

There is no stepping on toes here regarding my work, its open source and MIT and I don't sell the plugin itself. Also I am more than willing to assist people in correctly using it when they have need
                      Last edited by mordentral; 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit to the plugin and example template.

Plugin
                        Code:
                        Fixed a bug with HasGripAuthority where the server was being assigned as grip authority
                        for the Client_Auth grip on its end.

Added a 1 frame delay flag after teleport where grips won't check the constraint for
                        if it is outside of the auto drop distance. This is to allow for the constraints localpose to
                        held object to be recalculated. Otherwise it could rarely drop the held object on teleport with
                        small auto drop lengths.

I could manually set the constraints local pose instead, but would rather have the delay anyway.
                        Template
                        Code:
                        Added preliminary examples of Mixed reality support to the new video camera testing actor.

*Edit* I generally leave locked branches alone, but 4.16 was recent enough and the HasGripAuthority is important enough that I merged that commit back into it.
                        Last edited by mordentral; 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi, sure is for noob practice. But latest template doesn't run for me with 4.17.1.
                          At the beggining says not compatible, and after rebuild crash the editor in launch time

Comment

Originally posted by mandango View Post
                            Hi, sure is for noob practice. But latest template doesn't run for me with 4.17.1.
                            At the beggining says not compatible, and after rebuild crash the editor in launch time
                            You'll need to re-build it, 4.17.1 is treated as an entirely different version.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Opened without issue at second try. Had been rebuilted, but crash it at first opening time. Thanks.

Comment

Did some new testing with the camera actor, using the good groundwork of the nice community members over in the mixed reality thread.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X