Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
    Thank you. 5 works perfect for me.

    <I'm sure you've already thought of this>

    I was curious if there was currently a way to set the step-up time. Currently it seems to happen in 1 frame.
    I have considered lerping it...but it is really awkward considering I run full collision, most of the climbing system out there don't have collision and the step up just lerps up to standing on the edge.

    It's on my eventual TODO list to allow for a gradual step up, its just that I would have to lock out all input from the character during it and manually moving the capsule during it could get problematic in multiplayer, its a larger endeavor than it initially sounds like.
    Last edited by mordentral; 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM.


    Consider supporting me on patreon

    My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

    Comment


      I'm very new to Unreal and game making in general so sorry if this is very simple or straight forward to do but i feel lost and could use a little help. I've been looking over the Example Project and playing with the gun setup. what I'd like to do is what i hold the gun with the Motion controllers grip, i wanna pull the trigger to fire, not pull the grip again as I've changed the tags to drop the gun when grip is released, but now can't fire. how do i go about making the gun fire when the trigger is pulled.
      Again if this is really simple i'm sorry, but I've been going over this and trying many things without any luck. Thank you for all your hard work and any help you can provide.

      Comment


        Originally posted by CrashnShroom View Post
        I'm very new to Unreal and game making in general so sorry if this is very simple or straight forward to do but i feel lost and could use a little help. I've been looking over the Example Project and playing with the gun setup. what I'd like to do is what i hold the gun with the Motion controllers grip, i wanna pull the trigger to fire, not pull the grip again as I've changed the tags to drop the gun when grip is released, but now can't fire. how do i go about making the gun fire when the trigger is pulled.
        Again if this is really simple i'm sorry, but I've been going over this and trying many things without any luck. Thank you for all your hard work and any help you can provide.
        The naming of those default tags is a little obtuse, its drop when trigger is released not on grip release. You can go in and change what happens after "GripRelease" input event to reference that tag and remove / add one for the trigger release specifically.


        At some point I would like to make all grip / drop fully check those tags, currently its just drops based on them and doesn't have grip release. I'll make a note of it.

        *Edit* actually I am starting in on that today
        Last edited by mordentral; 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM.


        Consider supporting me on patreon

        My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

        Comment


          Anyone know why I can't step on top of the white blocks, aligned vertically, in the template map? Current step-up height is pretty high, so I've no problem getting up on ledges that have nothing overhead, but I can't step up on those white blocks even with my capsule height at something really low, like 40 (more than half original).

          Click image for larger version

Name:	stepper.png
Views:	1
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	1130541

          Also, I'm looking to get some AI in the game now. I wanted to use DON's pathfinding plugin but I take it using that would mean I lose the offset handling the MoveToExtended command gives. Maybe I'd need to somehow make a new FlyTo command that calculates the offset? There's probably no easy way to make something with the same effect in BP, yeah?
          Last edited by kusokuso1; 07-02-2017, 10:28 PM. Reason: Failed to research before posting previously

          Comment


            Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
            Anyone know why I can't step on top of the white blocks, aligned vertically, in the template map? Current step-up height is pretty high, so I've no problem getting up on ledges that have nothing overhead, but I can't step up on those white blocks even with my capsule height at something really low, like 40 (more than half original).

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]147140[/ATTACH]

            Also, I'm looking to get some AI in the game now. I wanted to use DON's pathfinding plugin but I take it using that would mean I lose the offset handling the MoveToExtended command gives. Maybe I'd need to somehow make a new FlyTo command that calculates the offset? There's probably no easy way to make something with the same effect in BP, yeah?
            AI shouldn't really be done with VRCharacters anyway, its possible but not recommended due to the overhead.

            Also you should be able to step up to those, if the capsule height is set correctly, see the template level and how some are spaced far enough for it.


            Consider supporting me on patreon

            My Open source tools and plugins
            Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

            Comment


              Originally posted by uw19 View Post
              Ah! Alright, I was hoping it would work without packaging the whole project. I'll try that tonight.

              Thanks for the help!
              So...we tried packaging the template you provide without modifying it and attempted multiplayer with that, but still didn't find any servers. Does anyone know a debug I can provide to get multiplayer hosting/joining up and running?

              Comment


                Originally posted by uw19 View Post
                So...we tried packaging the template you provide without modifying it and attempted multiplayer with that, but still didn't find any servers. Does anyone know a debug I can provide to get multiplayer hosting/joining up and running?
                Are you guys local to each other? App ID 480 (the test app id) is region locked and doesn't let people find each other outside of set regions, though you said you have found each other before with AS.



                You can look in the packaged directory under Saved/Logs and see if steam fails to initialize in there, because I know for sure that the template project connects as I test multiplayer builds across steam using it.


                *Edit* Also heads up to people, I have this week off of work and intend on doing a lot of work on the plugin over it, there will be a stall in update notes and incremental changes over this time due to some major revisions being done and being tested.

                Today I started in on changing up the template character to be more of an actual template and less of a "How-To" example.


                Consider supporting me on patreon

                My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                  Are you guys local to each other? App ID 480 (the test app id) is region locked and doesn't let people find each other outside of set regions, though you said you have found each other before with AS.



                  You can look in the packaged directory under Saved/Logs and see if steam fails to initialize in there, because I know for sure that the template project connects as I test multiplayer builds across steam using it.


                  *Edit* Also heads up to people, I have this week off of work and intend on doing a lot of work on the plugin over it, there will be a stall in update notes and incremental changes over this time due to some major revisions being done and being tested.

                  Today I started in on changing up the template character to be more of an actual template and less of a "How-To" example.
                  We have found each other in the past, yes (Seattle-Denver). I did move a few hours closer, but perhaps I'm in a new region that doesn't qualify? If I change my region in the Steam settings, do you think that would have an impact?

                  Also, I don't see any logs/saved folders or files in the packaged directory. Maybe that's a sign something isn't working properly.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by uw19 View Post
                    We have found each other in the past, yes (Seattle-Denver). I did move a few hours closer, but perhaps I'm in a new region that doesn't qualify? If I change my region in the Steam settings, do you think that would have an impact?

                    Also, I don't see any logs/saved folders or files in the packaged directory. Maybe that's a sign something isn't working properly.
                    Folder/ProjectName/Saved/Logs


                    Consider supporting me on patreon

                    My Open source tools and plugins
                    Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                      AI shouldn't really be done with VRCharacters anyway, its possible but not recommended due to the overhead.
                      Got it! Sorry i wasn't more clear. The things I want to give AI to are pawns. I was just under the impression that in order for them to properly detect the Player, which is VRCharacter, they had to do some special calculations to get access to the player's true location.

                      Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                      Also you should be able to step up to those, if the capsule height is set correctly, see the template level and how some are spaced far enough for it.
                      I'm not exactly sure how to set up capsules correctly, but I just now double-checked and found that I had Use WalkingCollisionOverride checked and set to StaticMesh. Unchecking it and setting it to PawnWalking fixed it. Sorry, I messed up...

                      Thanks a lot for the help!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
                        Got it! Sorry i wasn't more clear. The things I want to give AI to are pawns. I was just under the impression that in order for them to properly detect the Player, which is VRCharacter, they had to do some special calculations to get access to the player's true location.



                        I'm not exactly sure how to set up capsules correctly, but I just now double-checked and found that I had Use WalkingCollisionOverride checked and set to StaticMesh. Unchecking it and setting it to PawnWalking fixed it. Sorry, I messed up...

                        Thanks a lot for the help!
                        Ah, there is a base AIController that I added to the plugin, just derive their controller from that and they should work just fine for you with the VRCharacter.


                        Consider supporting me on patreon

                        My Open source tools and plugins
                        Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                          ...just derive their controller from that...
                          Apologies for my newbness... Do I just click on FlightAIController (under AIController) to do that?

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	AIderivation.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1130637
                          The current open project is based on the VRExpPluginExample project.


                          *Edit*
                          I've one more, completely unrelated, question; possibly not even related to the plugin.

                          I got a Grippable Static mesh actor base, and from that I have a child weapon (sword). The static mesh for the weapon has collision built into it (I created both the collision, w/ a UCX prefix, and its accompanying mesh in Blender). Fsr, I can't get hit events to fire on my sword.

                          Click image for larger version

Name:	collision.png
Views:	1
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	1130638

                          I verified the other static mesh (the grey table in the middle of the Example map) has Simulation generates Hit Events checked and is set to block or overlap the Weapon object type.

                          After a couple hours of research it appears the collision has to?/ should be the root in order for hits to work right. But if that's the case, I wouldn't be able to use the grippable static mesh because I can't change the root.

                          Should I post this question in Answer Hub?
                          Last edited by kusokuso1; 07-04-2017, 09:34 PM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
                            Apologies for my newbness... Is this what you mean by deriving their controller from the AIController in the template?

                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]147335[/ATTACH]
                            The current open project is based on the VRExpPluginExample project.
                            the VRAIController is the one I made, derive your FlightAIController from it (set its parents in the class properties in editor to the VRAIController).

                            Then it will check the correct pawn lcoation


                            Consider supporting me on patreon

                            My Open source tools and plugins
                            Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

                            Comment


                              Hey Guys,

                              first of all: thank you for providing this plugin!
                              Second: I'm totally new to unreal.

                              So what I want to do is to open and close a door with a motion controller, just like in the demo application. I already copied the door from that project into my own. I'm also using a SimpleVRCharacter and my approach was to use the GripObject-Funktion, triggered by a MotionController Trigger Event. In the demo it was solved completely different and I don't really understand if I should implement the door interaction in the VRSimpleCharacter or if I should add a Blueprint for the MotionController like it's done in the demo.

                              Thank you for your help!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                                Folder/ProjectName/Saved/Logs
                                Gotcha, I thought I was looking for logs in the packaged folder, not about packaging the project

                                I've attached the logs below and it does say "Steam API Disabled", but it's said that before and worked just fine.
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X