VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    ...it is supposed to be an example of how to set up things, there is a lot in it that you can likely remove and the gripping logic is based around just pick/place/use interactions.
    [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION]
    Thank you for all the info and sorry for the long post.

The Try to Grab Object function's got Drop Object and Grip Object funcs. If those funcs take care of the unparenting/parenting of objects and Gripped Actors array, along with some other magic, wouldn't that mean I have to/should use them any time I drop/pickup an object; otherwise that'd basically defeat the purpose of me making them grippable? I was thinking I could just call drop object w/ Simulate unchecked before doing a custom function that returns the Object to the holster. Just want to make sure if that is one, not so bad, way to do it.

On a side, I just now found out that the BitBucket vrexpplugin url changed (used to be "vrexpplugin", now it's "vrexpansionplugin"). This affects the Specific Commit walkthrough a little bit.

<anyone>
    I followed the Update Plugin instructions (Safe Method version) mordentral gave a while back (on Page 25). fsr, the .uproject won't generate new project files (.sln). Anyone else seeing this problem? Running 4.16.1 and trying to update current with Master VRExpPlugin as of a couple minutes ago.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out that deleting Advanced Sessions was the cause of the .sln not getting generated.
    Last edited by kusokuso1; 06-22-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
      [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION]
      Thank you for all the info and sorry for the long post.

The Try to Grab Object function's got Drop Object and Grip Object funcs. If those funcs take care of the unparenting/parenting of objects and Gripped Actors array, along with some other magic, wouldn't that mean I have to/should use them any time I drop/pickup an object; otherwise that'd basically defeat the purpose of me making them grippable? I was thinking I could just call drop object w/ Simulate unchecked before doing a custom function that returns the Object to the holster. Just want to make sure if that is one, not so bad, way to do it.

On a side, I just now found out that the BitBucket vrexpplugin url changed (used to be "vrexpplugin", now it's "vrexpansionplugin"). This affects the Specific Commit walkthrough a little bit.

<anyone>
      I followed the Update Plugin instructions (Safe Method version) mordentral gave a while back (on Page 25). fsr, the .uproject won't generate new project files (.sln). Anyone else seeing this problem? Running 4.16.1 and trying to update current with Master VRExpPlugin as of a couple minutes ago.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out that deleting Advanced Sessions was the cause of the .sln not getting generated.
      Yeah you should use those if you want to grip/drop an object with the plugin (have it in the array and replicated). For traditional grips like parenting you don't have to use them.

GripObjectByInterface()/DropObjectByInterface() will grip/drop an object and auto fill in its grip settings by querying the interface.

As for the name, it shouldn't have ever been the shorthand, are you sure you weren't working off of a branch that you made? Regardless I corrected it in the setup tutorial.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

GripObjectByInterface()/DropObjectByInterface() will grip/drop an object and auto fill in its grip settings by querying the interface.
        Got it, thanks.

As for the name, it shouldn't have ever been the shorthand, are you sure you weren't working off of a branch that you made? Regardless I corrected it in the setup tutorial.
        Shoot sorry, this is all my bad. I got the right screenshot for the plugin url, but for the copy-pasteable url I copied the url for the template and removed "template" from it, wrongfully assuming it was the only difference.

When updating the plugin, should we not delete the Advanced Sessions folder?

Comment

Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
          Got it, thanks.

Shoot sorry, this is all my bad. I got the right screenshot for the plugin url, but for the copy-pasteable url I copied the url for the template and removed "template" from it, wrongfully assuming it was the only difference.

When updating the plugin, should we not delete the Advanced Sessions folder?
          The template depends on that folder for the server browser, so no I wouldn't delete it. You can manually remove it by editing the .uproject file and then delete the server browser object if you really want to.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

First off, thanks for making the plugin! It's extremely useful. I've been trying to get the VR replication to work for ages and this is perfect.

Quick question, do you need anything further to get the multiplayer working? I sent a copy of the template (with a few minor changes) to my friend, but we haven't been able to find each other. We start SteamVR, open the project in the editor, host a server, and try to search for each other. So far, no luck. We've been able to connect using the Advanced Sessions plugin on a different project in the past, though. Not sure why we can't connect here...any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by uw19 View Post
              First off, thanks for making the plugin! It's extremely useful. I've been trying to get the VR replication to work for ages and this is perfect.

Quick question, do you need anything further to get the multiplayer working? I sent a copy of the template (with a few minor changes) to my friend, but we haven't been able to find each other. We start SteamVR, open the project in the editor, host a server, and try to search for each other. So far, no luck. We've been able to connect using the Advanced Sessions plugin on a different project in the past, though. Not sure why we can't connect here...any ideas?
              SteamVR Home currently breaks the steam subsystem in UE4, you'll have to disable home currently in order to find servers (the subsystem will literally not load with home active).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Little overview of how to use the new VRButton c++ class.

.....not used to using a single screen in ue4, i forget to switch windows a lot, don't mind it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

SteamVR Home currently breaks the steam subsystem in UE4, you'll have to disable home currently in order to find servers (the subsystem will literally not load with home active).
                  Hmm, that wasn't it. We both opted out of the SteamVR Home Beta in the SteamVR settings and still couldn't find each other. Do both of us need VS2017 for 4.16 to work properly?

Comment

Originally posted by uw19 View Post
                    Hmm, that wasn't it. We both opted out of the SteamVR Home Beta in the SteamVR settings and still couldn't find each other. Do both of us need VS2017 for 4.16 to work properly?
                    Oh sorry I missed you saying that you were running it in editor. That won't work, you need I package the project and send that to him. Steam doesn't load in editor previews aside from standalone and even if it did, it would technically still be different builds and autofiltered by epics subsystem.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Oh sorry I missed you saying that you were running it in editor. That won't work, you need I package the project and send that to him. Steam doesn't load in editor previews aside from standalone and even if it did, it would technically still be different builds and autofiltered by epics subsystem.
                      Ah! Alright, I was hoping it would work without packaging the whole project. I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Probably a simple question, but I've spent a bit of time on it already, so i'll just ask. I was attempting to rebase my character to use VRCharacter rather than SimpleVRCharacter, and everything seems working after re-base, but I can no longer use a setWorldLocationAndRotation to set the character to be located where the HMD is in room scale on begin play. When I do that it seems the world is offset strangely from where it should be. My origin in game is not where the origin should be. I see I can get a VRLocation, but can't set it. What's the proper way to set the character world location with VRCharacter? I just need to set it to where the HMD is for begin play, and as a function to return to room scale positioning when needed.

Edit: Figured out that if I just remove the setWorldLocationAndRotation I was doing with SimpleCharacter based version, it is already in correct room scale position for VRCharacter based version. I still have the question of how I would get back to room scale position after using the movement controls with VRCharacter. setWorldLocationAndRotation is causing the world to be in a weird position so seems that's not the right way.

Also, this doesn't look good after re-base. The VRMovementComponent seems to have lost its reference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VRMovementReference.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1130261

Would you know what might be causing that? If not, maybe I just need to update my character blueprint to have the latest and greatest from the example template at this point. My blueprint work has been done on top of the SimpleVRCharacter from last December. Everything else seems to be working besides not knowing how to get back to room scale and this VRMovementComponent reference though.
                        Last edited by MagicBots; 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alltrueist View Post
                          Probably a simple question, but I've spent a bit of time on it already, so i'll just ask. I was attempting to rebase my character to use VRCharacter rather than SimpleVRCharacter, and everything seems working after re-base, but I can no longer use a setWorldLocationAndRotation to set the character to be located where the HMD is in room scale on begin play. When I do that it seems the world is offset strangely from where it should be. My origin in game is not where the origin should be. I see I can get a VRLocation, but can't set it. What's the proper way to set the character world location with VRCharacter? I just need to set it to where the HMD is for begin play, and as a function to return to room scale positioning when needed.
                          Add the camera location to the actor location and set it there, or if begin play is too early for that (it likely is) then you can get the HMD's location directly with the node for that and then offset the actor.

For rotation you need to use ControlRotation unless you uncheck (bUseControlRotation) on the character. There is a rotate in place example in the nodes for the characters that gives rotation around HMD workflow as well.

As an alternative, look at the DoTeleport section, it adjusts by the HMD to place the character.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed small update to the plugin to fix a few VRButtonComponent issues and update the sessions plugin in the template to the newest version.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Mordentral,

Thank you so much for sharing your work on this VR plugin. You have enabled me to work on a prototype called Weaponmaster, where I am creating a medieval wave based game where the player can spawn various weapons depending on where they grab on their character. I wanted to go for a different approach than the Robo Recall inventory kind of approach, where the player more learns by memory and experimentation how to grab their torso to spawn different things (ie; grab behind them with their hands far enough apart to spawn a giant hammer, grab at their chest to spawn a quick shuriken).

In case it helps my fellow fans of your plugin, I've shared how I am doing that by overriding the gripOrDrop function and intercepting the nearest found object based on its name, then spawning an object and gripping it at an exact orientation (so things like throwing axes are gripped at the proper area).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-26.png
Size:	715.9 KB
ID:	1130305Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-26 (1).png
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	1130306Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-06-26 (2).png
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	1130307

I have a help question as well if you can spare the time:

I have followed your VRPluginTemplate and noticed when I pick up objects using the template the teleport and navigation commands are still active.

I exported the VRExpansion classes to my own project, and then re-added the GameplayTags so I could define grip properties on objects, but when using my own objects with the GripInterface or using objects like the BaseGun, I am not able to teleport while moving them.

One other small question--I have experimented with adding socket grips but when I tried with the axe I get a funny bug--if my character grips the axe on its socket, it becomes super tiny in their hand. Is this because the scale I have set to 4?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hey,

How up to date is the template packaged download on the first page?
                                Noticed some strange issues with climbing.
                                - Couldn't climb onto things.
                                - Can only use 1 hand at a time for climbing.
                                Is it an old build or did I do something wrong? Or is this intended?

gotta say I absolutely love how smooth everything else is.

Comment

Working...
                                X