VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    Its because the AI controllers move to commands do not work with an offset pawn (Typical Epic setup or the VRcharacter). The MoveToExtended that I added to the VRcharacter accounts for the offset and corrects it. I would have to make a custom AI controller and override most of the navigation functions to correct it since the engine hard codes root postion as character position everywhere.

Since generally you would never actually be doing a bunch of AI navigation with a VR character via an AI graph it is not high on my priority list.

That being said the SimpleVRCharacter should work fine with it.

However, I would like to re-iterate that if someone is doing a bunch of AI with the character possessing the AI at some point and going back and forth that the SimpleCharacter would be better for it, however at the same time NEITHER would be best, using a normal character and swapping out for a VR one on possession. VR Characters have a larger amount of overhead than typical characters. It would be more work in the end to make the swapping work, but it would result in a more efficient setup overall.
    Got it, thank you very much for explanation

Comment

kusogaki77 was kind enough to make some installation tutorials for the wiki so I posted them up in the OP and the wiki.

Also changed the OP to start listing features instead of the brief outdated component / actor breakdown that was there before.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

The actual Template Example does not work with 4.15.2. I tried the beta 4.16 but it complaints that the modules are not working. Is there a download link for a 4.15 version of the https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vrexppluginexample ?

If not, is there a small tutorial for teleport for teleporting, showing the controllers in hand and picking up objects? I tried to find one, but just saw the wiki and function documentation. I was able to build a small level with collisisions and jump on obstacles when i pressed a trigger, but I am not able to archive the other things. If i would get some hints (with the example level) it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by rohezal View Post
          The actual Template Example does not work with 4.15.2. I tried the beta 4.16 but it complaints that the modules are not working. Is there a download link for a 4.15 version of the https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vrexppluginexample ?

If not, is there a small tutorial for teleport for teleporting, showing the controllers in hand and picking up objects? I tried to find one, but just saw the wiki and function documentation. I was able to build a small level with collisisions and jump on obstacles when i pressed a trigger, but I am not able to archive the other things. If i would get some hints (with the example level) it would work.
          The template requires you to compile the modules as I can't really store the binaries in that repositories size limit. The template was moved over to 4.16 a little early this time around by mistake but I left it due to how many changes were made. 4.16 is by far the easiest template version to learn off of currently.

Wiki now contains a tutorial on setting it up which would help you with the 4.16 version: Step by Step setup

You could also follow the new commit download tutorial from the wiki: downloading a specific commit

And download this commit: 4.15 merged commit

If you really wanted to use 4.15.2

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Howdy mordentral !
            First off....awesome plugin!
            So I have been using this for a while on one of my projects that is from 4.13. when I try to update the project to a newer engine I get a build error.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1128411

what is the proper way to update the engine with your plugin?
            Thanks in advance!

Comment

Thank you a lot, this is what I needed .

Comment

Originally posted by 1HP_And_A_Dream View Post
                Howdy mordentral !
                First off....awesome plugin!
                So I have been using this for a while on one of my projects that is from 4.13. when I try to update the project to a newer engine I get a build error.

what is the proper way to update the engine with your plugin?
                Thanks in advance!
                You'll want to download a copy of the plugin for that specific engine version and then compile it (unless it has pre-built binaries available which I just started doing).

Larger version differences will likely have some revisions required to how to use the plugin however, as the plugin is constantly being updated with new features and better methods of doing things. I try to keep it as backwards compatible as possible to avoid too much growing pains for people though.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I can't get this to install for the life of me.

Comment

Hi I have a realy weird problem. I just updated my project from 4.14 to 4.15 and I now can't move the character anymore. I'm not getting any errors in any BP's and I can still see the code for moving forwards backwards sideways and teleport but it just doesn't work. Checked imput settings also. Did I miss something simple in the upgrade or is there a setting I need to change in the 2.15 plugin?

Comment

Originally posted by Elleclouds View Post
                      I can't get this to install for the life of me.
                      Did you follow the step by step that was added to the wiki?
                      Step By Step Installation

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                      Hi I have a realy weird problem. I just updated my project from 4.14 to 4.15 and I now can't move the character anymore. I'm not getting any errors in any BP's and I can still see the code for moving forwards backwards sideways and teleport but it just doesn't work. Checked imput settings also. Did I miss something simple in the upgrade or is there a setting I need to change in the 2.15 plugin?

4.14 to 4.15? There shouldn't be any real changes to input or control across those two versions. The template gets upgraded across each version as well.

Try breaking at the thumbpad input and clicking step through in the blueprint editor to see where it fails for you, you may have a diconnected node.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Is there any way to replace vive controllers models with hand models? Been digging for few hours in ViveBP's in template files but can't find where they initialized, hand models everywhere but in-game it's vive controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazvolt View Post
                          Is there any way to replace vive controllers models with hand models? Been digging for few hours in ViveBP's in template files but can't find where they initialized, hand models everywhere but in-game it's vive controllers.
                          In the red background comment area of the character unlink the nodes that are after BeginPlay and create the controller meshes, it will fall back to the hand models instead then.

I have the controllers defaulted as it shows how to use part of the plugin and the hands are already exampled in epics template, but they exist as the fallback if the controllers can't be obtained (not in steamVR, ect).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Uploaded new binary package for 4.16, plugin now moved to 4.16 as master branch.

Also was able to remove all direct OpenVR DLL bindings due to new steamSDK 1.39 version.

Sadly my bug report about the debug draw didn't make it to release for a fix, they accepted it with a reproduction so I assume it will hit in 4.16.1. Until then you might want to hide the controller overlap spheres as they can be fairly annoying,.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                              In the red background comment area of the character unlink the nodes that are after BeginPlay and create the controller meshes, it will fall back to the hand models instead then.

I have the controllers defaulted as it shows how to use part of the plugin and the hands are already exampled in epics template, but they exist as the fallback if the controllers can't be obtained (not in steamVR, ect).
                              Got it, thank you!

Comment

Pushed new commit to the plugin / template

Code:
                                Set default MinNetUpdateFrequency values for all relevant in objects.

This was required due to Net.UseAdaptiveNetUpdateFrequency being defaulted to true
                                now in 4.16.

Users will want to be sure to set these for their actors that do not derive
                                from grippable ACTORS (components need their parent actor to set this)
                                or turn off the CVAR.

Defaulting to adaptive net updates being true in 4.16, it means that with default settings replicating actors and actor components can end up in the situation where they can fall behind up to 500ms before they actually update after
                                a property change.

TL;DR, SET MinNetUpdateFrequency above the default of 2 now on all of your actors that have bReplicateMovement or ANY time sensitive replications involved in them (or ForceNetUpdate on changing those).

Also a warning, the steamVR beta update tonight broke UE4 with SteamVR, you'll have to revert to the non beta build to run in VR or turn off SteamVR Home.
                                Last edited by mordentral; 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X