• Show
Clear All

Going over new features for 4.16 and examples

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

It's possible to implement inherited BlueprintImplementableEvent functions in C++. Simply declare them in your header as BlueprintNativeEvent and then define them in your source file like:

Code:
      void MyGripabbleActor::OnGrip_Implementation(UGripMotionControllerComponent * GrippingController, const FBPActorGripInformation & GripInformation){}
      Last edited by MountainCow; 05-05-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainCow View Post
        It's possible to implement inherited BlueprintImplementableEvent functions in C++. Simply declare them in your header as BlueprintNativeEvent and then define them in your source file like:

Code:
        void MyGripabbleActor::OnGrip_Implementation(UGripMotionControllerComponent * GrippingController, const FBPActorGripInformation & GripInformation){}
        While that may currently be possible, I honestly really doubt that it is intended and is likely a side effect of an UBT issue.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I talked about it in my last video, but I added OutputLog data to it and wrapped it up in an interactive tablet using some of the generic controls I was providing samples of.

So here is my proof of concept Console/OutputLog viewer / editor for in VR use.

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnfoldedFairHoiho.webm

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
            While that may currently be possible, I honestly really doubt that it is intended and is likely a side effect of an UBT issue.
            Perhaps. I've not looked at the generated code before, but it seems in the class.generated files BlueprintNativeEvent generates the exec and implementation declarations while BlueprintImplementableEvent only generates the function name declaration. In the intermediate project.generated file both UFunctions are constructed almost identically (FUNC_Native flag missing from a BlueprintImplementableEvent) and are found on the calling UObject by name, which is shared with the base class' UFunction.

Certainly it makes sense to specify them BlueprintNativeEvent in the first place to avoid any possible issues.

Comment

4.16 version looks great... is it already uploaded ?

Problem... since i am a noob with blueprints for door opening interaction i am cloning you door and replacing the mesh... Currently you have 1 door attached . What should i do if i have double door. I also have an instance with 4 doors .
              Also when replaced my mesh with your door mesh there seems to be delay in the interaction. the door is not opening with the hand controller.. kind of spring delay
              please help
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1127710

regards
              J
              Last edited by Jomax3d; 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

No there isn't, you can copy over the logic and characters to a 4.15 project from it, but the map itself isn't backwards compatible and I don't want to keep multiple copies of the map in the repository.

Granted you could pull the template commit directly before the upgrade to 4.16 and that would work, I also normally wait until a build is out of preview to upgrade the template to the latest, but I forgot in this case and left it.

Pretty new to VR development and just recently came across your work and would love to have the 4.15 template. How would I go about pulling the template commit before the 4.16 upgrade? I don't know how to use bitbucket so i'm totally lost. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jomax3d View Post
                  4.16 version looks great... is it already uploaded ?

Problem... since i am a noob with blueprints for door opening interaction i am cloning you door and replacing the mesh... Currently you have 1 door attached . What should i do if i have double door. I also have an instance with 4 doors .
                  Also when replaced my mesh with your door mesh there seems to be delay in the interaction. the door is not opening with the hand controller.. kind of spring delay
                  please help

regards
                  J
                  You need to setup the BP at your desired case. 4 "Grippable Static Mesh" (Doors) independent and a PhysicConstraint for each. Every PhysicConstraint has a different position (for the axis rotation and location, acts like a hinge), and the right and left Meshes (Door) has different angular rotation (+/- Z) for their constraint.
                  Last edited by mandango; 05-07-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mandango View Post
                    You need to setup the BP at your desired case. 4 "Grippable Static Mesh" (Doors) independent and a PhysicConstraint for each. Every PhysicConstraint has a different position (for the axis rotation and location, acts like a hinge), and the right and left Meshes (Door) has different angular rotation (+/- Z) for their constraint.
                    Yeah the "door" example is kind of best for actual player doors, it is specially setup because of its ability to block player movement and its requirement to be somewhat sync'd. For cabinet doors it would be far simpler and more straight forward.

*Edit* Added an example cabinet to the template to help out, made a video showing off the console/output log actor.

Last edited by mordentral; 05-07-2017, 08:16 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by dixonian89 View Post
                      How would I go about pulling the template commit before the 4.16 upgrade?
                      Hey, dixonian. I'm not sure if this is the right or best way to go about it, but it works.

Someone here explains a simple way to do it.

(Basically, just edit the bitbucket-url with the commit tag/id to bring up the download for the repo at the time of the commit.)

In short, you can use this link to get a zip of a template that'll work with UE4 4.15.1.

(I'm not sure if it's the latest one right before the 4.16 implementation, but I think it's pretty close.)

I'll assume you're running Windows:
                      ①Download that zip above and extract it wherever you want.

② [Optional] Once extracted, rename the "mordentral-vrexppluginexample-cbaf5b16589d/mordentral-vrexppluginexample-cbaf5b16589d" folder to something shorter, like "VRExample" or whatever.

③ Cut or copy the folder (shown in red in step ② / i.e., "VRExample") containing 4 folders and 3 files ("VRExample" folder in step) and paste it in your "Unreal Projects" folder; usually <Myusername>/documents/Unreal Projects/

④ Follow the steps on mordentral's bitbucket page (namely, install Visual Studio, generate the sln, build the sln).

Having done that you will be able to launch the template project. Note that the project name will be VRExpPluginExample.
                      Last edited by kusokuso1; 05-08-2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Dear Mordentral and VRExpansionPlugin devotees,

Wanted to post a quick update for my VR stealth project "Espire 1: VR Operative".

This game is built 160% on top of the VRExpansionPlugin - clearly built upon the sliding locomotion & climbing from the template. The GripInterface, everything is being used.
                        The VR pawn is working great with both the Vive and the Rift, and the plugin's VRAIController makes using a VR pawn with AI targeting a breeze. I have also been able to migrate the project from 4.11 (from memory) to 4.15 with very little issues or work in maintaining the plugin components.

This is such a fantastic plugin and I hope to support it in any way I can. Of course if Espire 1 is able to be released I hope you will be happy to discuss a royalty for the use of the plugin if that is possible - no support requested in return. It is only because of the plugin that a budding VR designer like myself could test and prototype gameplay mechanics in such a short time. It is also a huge learning resource in the many ways to approach VR interaction, multiplayer replication and more.

Huge thanks Mordentral for everything you do and I do not understand how you can commit so much time to a project and share the results with the whole world for free. I hope the generosity will be payed back to you tenfold!

Very interested to see what others are doing with the plugin. I will be making regular videos like the one above and will feature the VRexpansionPlugin and how it is being used. I wont post again on here about that to avoid derailing the thread, just wanted to chime in and say thanks again!
                        Michael Wentworth-Bell
                        Espire 1: VR Operative: Espire1.com
                        Melbourne, Australia

Comment

*Edit* Added an example cabinet to the template to help out, made a video showing off the console/output log actor.

Cool update. Thanks for share your all your great and continuos work...

I wish to check because I need to add or modify some behaviours for my purpose in the way to grab it or interact with the constraited actors, following the nodes the scope is till Grip Object by Interface I suppouse all that things are managed between that and VRGrip Interface, all done in C++ and not possible to manage by BP, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by mandango View Post
                            Cool update. Thanks for share your all your great and continuos work...

I wish to check because I need to add or modify some behaviours for my purpose in the way to grab it or interact with the constraited actors, following the nodes the scope is till Grip Object by Interface I suppouse all that things are managed between that and VRGrip Interface, all done in C++ and not possible to manage by BP, isn't it?
                            What exactly are you looking to modify? I have CustomGrips for things so far out there that none of the current options allow for it that let you do all of the logic yourself for that object (the dial in the 4.16 template uses this).

Also the settings for the grips can be altered during the grip itself so most things are achievable between that and adjusting constraints on the simulating object.

I'm open to considering opening the physics grips up more to blueprint if you have found a need for it that can't be solved another way currently, I have been debating how much to expose the constraint settings already.

Originally posted by kusokuso1 View Post
                            Hey, dixonian
                            Thanks, I forgot to reply to him

Originally posted by michaelwbell View Post
                            Dear Mordentral and VRExpansionPlugin devotees,

Very interested to see what others are doing with the plugin. I will be making regular videos like the one above and will feature the VRexpansionPlugin and how it is being used. I wont post again on here about that to avoid derailing the thread, just wanted to chime in and say thanks again!
                            Good to hear, i'm glad everything is working out so far. Its really nice to see you using a Rift in your video as I can't fully test the plugin with that hardware and have to make some assumptions about compatibility.

No need to avoid posting here though, its actually generally a good idea to provide what others are doing with the plugin for reference of its capabilities, my template isn't an actual game and doesn't play like one so its not the full picture.

I'd actually like to eventually make a list of all of the projects that I know of using it and post them with links in the OP eventually.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

What exactly are you looking to modify? I have CustomGrips for things so far out there that none of the current options allow for it that let you do all of the logic yourself for that object (the dial in the 4.16 template uses this).

Also the settings for the grips can be altered during the grip itself so most things are achievable between that and adjusting constraints on the simulating object.

I'm open to considering opening the physics grips up more to blueprint if you have found a need for it that can't be solved another way currently, I have been debating how much to expose the constraint settings already.
                              Some thing I need to do is grab a object with the two hands, but secondary fixed in a specific position (grippable sphere for example), maybe just could be rotated for then launch a skeletal animation, not like the Gun example, moveable the second hand along the mesh.
                              On the other hand, there are a mini tutorial up to the interface cases? I've realized in the template, the BP_PickupCube doesn't neet to be "Grippable actor", just a static mesh but with the "VRGrip Interface", but the Gun, Potion, Door and Drawer actor is based on the Grippable base...

Good to hear, i'm glad everything is working out so far. Its really nice to see you using a Rift in your video as I can't fully test the plugin with that hardware and have to make some assumptions about compatibility.

No need to avoid posting here though, its actually generally a good idea to provide what others are doing with the plugin for reference of its capabilities, my template isn't an actual game and doesn't play like one so its not the full picture.

I'd actually like to eventually make a list of all of the projects that I know of using it and post them with links in the OP eventually.
                              Thumbs up if all you think also than Epic should donate a Rift to mordentral

Comment

Hey mordentral.

1. If you ever get around to handling this like you want post me the code or pull request it and i'll directly incorporate it. The description is simple to implement but is a request that I doubt anyone else will be looking for and I have a lot of upcoming stuff on my plate.
                                Sure thing. I'm now also wondering if going with a slightly delayed yaw rotation for UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent would be a good way to go. And the addition of a neck model so that UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent doesn't move forwards (and down) as the player looks down is also something I'm thinking of testing. Just trying to make it seem like there is a body there rather than feeling like there are items hanging off of the head. I'll let you know how it goes once I get to this.

2. Did it tonight after reading your request.
                                Cool beans! Thanks!

- Dave
                                Latest Demo, Turtle VR: http://www.turtlevr.com
                                Mobile VR Jam 2015 Entry: Circumpaint
                                VR game, Here Come The Dead: http://www.herecomethedead.com/
                                Main web site: http://www.gnometech.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X