No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you get the the very latest 4.16 beta branch? Looks like you have the 4.15, the TStructsOp were changed with the 4.16 update and its throwing an error for you about the motion controller interface being different (it was also changed in 4.16).

So you must have the 4.15 version / deleted the wrong copy, that or you have the old intermediate files from when you had the 4.15 installed and need to delete the intermediate folder.
    Last edited by mordentral; 04-30-2017, 11:36 PM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
      Did you get the the very latest 4.16 beta branch? Looks like you have the 4.15, the TStructsOp were changed with the 4.16 update and its throwing an error for you about the motion controller interface being different (it was also changed in 4.16).

So you must have the 4.15 version / deleted the wrong copy, that or you have the old intermediate files from when you had the 4.15 installed and need to delete the intermediate folder.
      I deleted the intermediate folder, got it working! thanks!

Comment

In the template scene, climbing the cubes is very steady and stable, because the hands could reach deep inside the cube and still grab hold of it.

But when i imported my own objects to climb, i am only able to grab hold of the outer surface skin, a very thin peripheral area of the object. If my hands reach deeper into the object, it is not able to grab hold of it and i will fall down from my climb.

How to make any object "deeply grabable" just like the climbing cubes in template scene?

Comment

In the template scene, i am able to climb the cubes very steadily and stable, because my hands could grab onto the cube even when reaching deep into its center.

However when i import my own objects to climb, i could only grab hold of the surface skin area of the object, which is a very thin peripheral area. If my hands just grab a little deeper into the object, it will loose grip and i will fall down from my climb.

How to make any objects "deeply grabable" just like the cubes for climbing in the template?

Comment

Originally posted by rondee29 View Post
            In the template scene, i am able to climb the cubes very steadily and stable, because my hands could grab onto the cube even when reaching deep into its center.

However when i import my own objects to climb, i could only grab hold of the surface skin area of the object, which is a very thin peripheral area. If my hands just grab a little deeper into the object, it will loose grip and i will fall down from my climb.

How to make any objects "deeply grabable" just like the cubes for climbing in the template?
            Make them support overlapping, the "deep grab" is the fallaback overlap detection.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
              I keep the template on the very latest version due to map compatibilities and using it as a test bed for new releases, as of thursday this is the 4.16 preview. So you will need the newest engine version to use the template project (Epic changed some project level settings in 4.16 which are those errors you are seeing).

The plugin itself still has multple compatible version downloads.
              I realized the same issue yesterday, there aren't a link to template ready for the 4.15? Thanks in advance.
              Last edited by mandango; 05-02-2017, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mandango View Post
                I realized the same issue yesterday, there aren't a link to template ready for the 4.15? Thanks in advance.
                No there isn't, you can copy over the logic and characters to a 4.15 project from it, but the map itself isn't backwards compatible and I don't want to keep multiple copies of the map in the repository.

Granted you could pull the template commit directly before the upgrade to 4.16 and that would work, I also normally wait until a build is out of preview to upgrade the template to the latest, but I forgot in this case and left it.
                Last edited by mordentral; 05-02-2017, 06:42 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Never mind, I had the plugin in my project and just want to test the grabbin with the gun, I don't know If I'm wrong but though be grabbed with the hands at same time, and don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by rondee29
                    I tick "Generate overlap events" in the Collision settings, but it makes no difference.

My static mesh is originally very small in size, i scaled it up like 10 times. Is this causing the deeper parts to become hollow, therefore not grabable? Is there a way to fix it? I've also click "similulate physics" and "MassInkKg:500" but still doesn't work.

* i also click on "Use Complex Collision as Simple" for the collision, is this the correct one to choose?
                    Make sure that the collision settings are allowed to collide/overlap with the Sphere collision components attached to the controllers.
                    Last edited by mordentral; 05-02-2017, 07:09 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a commit to the template tonight

Code:
                      Started adding some additional interactive objects to the level (Lever, Button, Push dial). Will be iterating over them and adding more in order to think about if I need to change any of the plugins workflow to
                      make creating such things easier or not.
                      *Edit* 05/03/17

Changed the dial to also support a wrist twist spin, this allowed me to provide an example of choosing between two grip types based on a variable as well as implementing a custom grip.
                      Last edited by mordentral; 05-03-2017, 01:50 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Would also like to note that the Template being on 4.16 in master already was a mistake, I ran into some engine bugs in 4.16 that I wanted to track down and report and merged it early by accident.

Normally my procedure is to keep the new engine version in a separate branch until it is released and then merge it into master for the template.

The plugin repository itself is still currently on 4.15 for master with a 4.16 alpha branch as is the intended workflow.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I would like to restart game when player falls into a Killz volume. I think the simplest and most effective way is to create the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10358-eventdestroyed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1127266

However i can't, because when i add an "Event Destroyed" node in the Vive_PawnCharacter, it is already taken up by something called "Remove Steam Camera Handle on destroy".

Comment

Originally posted by fspar30 View Post
                            I would like to restart game when player falls into a Killz volume. I think the simplest and most effective way is to create the following:

However i can't, because when i add an "Event Destroyed" node in the Vive_PawnCharacter, it is already taken up by something called "Remove Steam Camera Handle on destroy".
                            ?

Just remove the SteamVR camera code if you aren't using it, its there as an example only. Also you could just connect the OpenLevel-PrintString after the camera shutdown and it would work fine.

Just search for EventDestroyed in the node graph, it already exists is all, use the one already there or delete it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hey mordentral.

I've been working with the last 4.15 compatible version of VRExpansionPlugin, and wanted to bring up a couple of requests while you're working towards the 4.16 release:

1. I finally got around to using the YawTolerance property on UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent, and found that it didn't work as I expected (I just had the wrong expectations, that's all). It appears that YawTolerance causes the component to snap rotate to its value, like a polar angle grid. What I was hoping it would do is stop the component from rotating while the HMD was within a YawTolerance pie wedge, but then rotate with the HMD once the HMD goes outside of this wedge. Like the HMD is pushing up against the wedge's wall, forcing it to move. And when the HMD rotates in the other direction, the component doesn't being to rotate until the HMD pushes up against the opposite wall of the wedge. Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough.

This would allow for some free movement of the HMD without impacting the UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent yaw, but once the player really starts to turn, it drags the UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent's yaw along with it.

2. I'm mainly using C++ while working on my game, with minimal Blueprints. There are a lot of great events defined in VRGripInterface.h such as OnGrip(), or OnSecondaryGrip(), but they are defined as BlueprintImplementableEvent. It would be great if all of these events were moved over to BlueprintNativeEvent to match the rest of IVRGripInterface, as I could then make use of these events from C++. I know this is a breaking change for anyone that is currently using IVRGripInterface from C++ as they would have to implement the event stubs to recompile. As we're currently in the transition to 4.16 with VRExpansionPlugin, hopefully this would just be a minor annoyance compared to the benefit.

I'll likely get around to both of these myself eventually, but it would be great to get them into the mainline plugin if you're still looking for suggestions.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

- Dave
                              Latest Demo, Turtle VR: http://www.turtlevr.com
                              Mobile VR Jam 2015 Entry: Circumpaint
                              VR game, Here Come The Dead: http://www.herecomethedead.com/
                              Main web site: http://www.gnometech.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gnometech View Post
                                Hey mordentral.

I've been working with the last 4.15 compatible version of VRExpansionPlugin, and wanted to bring up a couple of requests while you're working towards the 4.16 release:

1. I finally got around to using the YawTolerance property on UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent, and found that it didn't work as I expected (I just had the wrong expectations, that's all). It appears that YawTolerance causes the component to snap rotate to its value, like a polar angle grid. What I was hoping it would do is stop the component from rotating while the HMD was within a YawTolerance pie wedge, but then rotate with the HMD once the HMD goes outside of this wedge. Like the HMD is pushing up against the wedge's wall, forcing it to move. And when the HMD rotates in the other direction, the component doesn't being to rotate until the HMD pushes up against the opposite wall of the wedge. Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough.

This would allow for some free movement of the HMD without impacting the UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent yaw, but once the player really starts to turn, it drags the UParentRelativeAttachmentComponent's yaw along with it.

2. I'm mainly using C++ while working on my game, with minimal Blueprints. There are a lot of great events defined in VRGripInterface.h such as OnGrip(), or OnSecondaryGrip(), but they are defined as BlueprintImplementableEvent. It would be great if all of these events were moved over to BlueprintNativeEvent to match the rest of IVRGripInterface, as I could then make use of these events from C++. I know this is a breaking change for anyone that is currently using IVRGripInterface from C++ as they would have to implement the event stubs to recompile. As we're currently in the transition to 4.16 with VRExpansionPlugin, hopefully this would just be a minor annoyance compared to the benefit.

I'll likely get around to both of these myself eventually, but it would be great to get them into the mainline plugin if you're still looking for suggestions.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

- Dave
                                1. If you ever get around to handling this like you want post me the code or pull request it and i'll directly incorporate it. The description is simple to implement but is a request that I doubt anyone else will be looking for and I have a lot of upcoming stuff on my plate.

2. Did it tonight after reading your request.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X