VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    I don't want to force CCD on for anything due to its performance hit, I think I found where it was going wrong last night though and intend to try and get it up and running today.
    For the case of two objects * number of clients, it's not enough to matter IMO. You tend to run into big perf hits with CCD mainly when using a *lot* of them all colliding together. In my most recent tests I was able to do about 150-200 CCD objects all colliding together with minimal framerate hit. 50-100 had no hit.
    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
      For the case of two objects * number of clients, it's not enough to matter IMO. You tend to run into big perf hits with CCD mainly when using a *lot* of them all colliding together. In my most recent tests I was able to do about 150-200 CCD objects all colliding together with minimal framerate hit. 50-100 had no hit.
      Thats not the point, if I can fix it without CCD than I should strive to.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I'm a bit lost regarding OptionalSnapToSocketName of the Motion Controller. Documentation says it doesn't work for childs of the component (like a static mesh, which doesn't work for me), so how do we make use of this? Is there a way to create a socket for the Motion Controller component?

Comment

Originally posted by Saiodin View Post
          I'm a bit lost regarding OptionalSnapToSocketName of the Motion Controller. Documentation says it doesn't work for childs of the component (like a static mesh, which doesn't work for me), so how do we make use of this? Is there a way to create a socket for the Motion Controller component?
          I understand your confusion, the socket is to be on the object that you are picking up, not the motion controller itself. That way each actor can have its own grip "points" on it that it can choose from depending on the hands position when gripping.

It offloads the logic of where to place items into an interface / the objects themselves so that it is more flexible.

For example a sword, you would place a socket on the sword mesh at the hilt and pass that socket name in when gripping it, the motion controller then finds that sockets position relative to the motion controller and uses it as the grip point. You don't need to use that shortcut though, you can pass in socket transforms yourself if you set the grip as "bAlreadyRelative".

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Ah yes, this worked and made a lot of sense. Thank you!
            Another matter regarding teleporting I encountered is that when gripping an object and teleporting the gripped object will do a 360 degree spin once teleported. Your docs say "TeleportTo - The standard teleport function is overridden in this character, it will automatically call the GripMotionControllers - PostTeleportMoveActors() function in it.". Is rotation set with the PostTeleport function or just location? Maybe this was overlooked with cube test objects? It is very noticable once you're using longer objects like a staff.

Comment

Ah yes, this worked and made a lot of sense. Thank you!
              Another matter regarding teleporting I encountered is that when gripping an object and teleporting the gripped object will do a 360 degree spin once teleported. Your docs say "TeleportTo - The standard teleport function is overridden in this character, it will automatically call the GripMotionControllers - PostTeleportMoveActors() function in it.". Is rotation set with the PostTeleport function or just location? Maybe this was overlooked with cube test objects? It is very noticable once you're using longer objects like a staff.
              if you are using the physics grip then it will have some things like that, I believe that I corrected it in the beta branch though.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Ok, got the main feature of the beta branch pretty much working. Once I re-write some more navigation functions for 4.13 I will merge Beta into Main. It has a ton of fixes and new features.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Looks pretty neat! From pausing the video I'm assuming navigation will let the character walk to your "teleport position"?

Comment

Looks pretty neat! From pausing the video I'm assuming navigation will let the character walk to your "teleport position"?
                    Yeah, it actually fully works but I forgot to enable it on that controller. I need to make some more changes for 4.13 for it as a bunch of functions were put into legacy and will be removed in the next version and I want it to be using the new ones.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

does the character walk when you teleport? I mean can you see the legs of the character stepping? If I install the plugin does it come with a template? I don't think would be up to programming it? Thanks for help!

Comment

[MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION] - That looks awesome man, can't wait to implement a bow onto the two hand grip. Great work
                        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by rich0550 View Post
                          does the character walk when you teleport? I mean can you see the legs of the character stepping? If I install the plugin does it come with a template? I don't think would be up to programming it? Thanks for help!
                          Walking would be up to an animation blueprint driven by your velocity. Sadly I doubt I would ever have a full template that you could make something out of, you could give the Steam VR Template in here a try though, it uses my plugin as one of the options.

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                          [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION] - That looks awesome man, can't wait to implement a bow onto the two hand grip. Great work
                          Yeah.....I'm just trying to figure out a quaternion issue that I am having now to be able to call it done, quats really aren't my strong suite.

I'm not actually sure it is solvable actually and it is a minor issue but it won't stop bugging me. *Edit* Actually with a bow it might be more pronounced.
                          Last edited by mordentral; 09-12-2016, 03:53 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pffft....never mind, the quat issue also appears in every other VR game with two handed grips and is actually less apparent in my system, it should be good for now. Think I am too much of a perfectionist.

*Edit* I am going to probably merge the beta branch in as it is currently and re-open a second one later to finish 4.13 navigation migration.

Navigation works in 4.13 as is, it just uses some of the old functions.

I won't be able to re-write the wiki pages until tomorrow, there are a ton of changes and additions.
                            Last edited by mordentral; 09-12-2016, 09:30 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Beta branch is merged in, ignore the compiler warnings about navigation depreciation, I will get around to re-writing those eventually.

I need to update the documentation still (it will take a while, this is a large update).

*Edit* This update also added a License.txt file so that people can set their legal fears at ease.

Code:
                              09/12/2016- Big update

Added in a VRPlayerController that if you use for your VRCharacter will enable navigation capabilities (VR Character has several new nodes for navigation now).

Fixed VRRoot and Parent Relative attachment to use unwound Yaw for the Headset (no longer spins when looking straight down).

Made parent relative attachment not rely on actually being attached to the camera and made it a child of the Root capsule in the VRcharacter.
                              This was done because when it was a child of the camera it was being forced into the HMD's late updates and causing anything attached to it to sway with head motions.

Prelim version of a Gripping interface was added.

Added in the complete two handed grip system with Lerp Into / Out of secondary attachment and a bunch of nodes to help support it.

(Other fixes that I forget by now, its been a while working on this branch).
                              Last edited by mordentral; 09-12-2016, 09:52 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                                Beta branch is merged in, ignore the compiler warnings about navigation depreciation, I will get around to re-writing those eventually.

I need to update the documentation still (it will take a while, this is a large update).

*Edit* This update also added a License.txt file so that people can set their legal fears at ease.

Code:
                                09/12/2016- Big update

Added in a VRPlayerController that if you use for your VRCharacter will enable navigation capabilities (VR Character has several new nodes for navigation now).

Fixed VRRoot and Parent Relative attachment to use unwound Yaw for the Headset (no longer spins when looking straight down).

Made parent relative attachment not rely on actually being attached to the camera and made it a child of the Root capsule in the VRcharacter.
                                This was done because when it was a child of the camera it was being forced into the HMD's late updates and causing anything attached to it to sway with head motions.

Prelim version of a Gripping interface was added.

Added in the complete two handed grip system with Lerp Into / Out of secondary attachment and a bunch of nodes to help support it.

(Other fixes that I forget by now, its been a while working on this branch).
                                Thank you for the continued updates, you're a VR community saint in my book.

Comment

Working...
                                X