Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Originally posted by avinashlobo View Post
    Thank you. I have no idea how to recompile the plugin, so I guess it's the bleeding edge for me with the naviation 4.13 branch. Alternatively, if you could guide me here, I'd be very grateful. I tried Googling without much success.
    The 4.13 branch is stable enough you can use it as long as you don't use the new features (which I haven't posted details about yet so it should be fine).

    Also somehow your last post spammed 30+ messages to my inbox...


    Consider supporting me on patreon

    My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

    Comment


      #77
      Originally posted by mordentral View Post
      The 4.13 branch is stable enough you can use it as long as you don't use the new features (which I haven't posted details about yet so it should be fine).

      Also somehow your last post spammed 30+ messages to my inbox...
      Thanks, that's great (about the branch being stable). Not so great about the spam. No idea why that happened. Hopefully this post doesn't also do it.

      Comment


        #78
        Hey mordentral great plugin. I was quickly able to get a multiplayer VR game setup pretty quickly. But I must admit I'm struggling getting the Grip Actor function to "work" on clients.

        > Has Grip functions that are also replicated (call them on the server) but are an optional feature

        When my client calls "grip actor" it doesn't attach. I moved it behind "switch has authority" and still no go. Does it matter if the actor itself is replicated or not? Is there anything else I am missing besides making sure the function is called server side? Thanks

        EDIT:

        Whoops, I forgot that the controller pressed events were client side. Once I added a RPC to fire the grip actor function everything worked as it should!
        Last edited by TheFoyer; 09-01-2016, 05:15 PM.
        Columbus Ohio Unreal Meetup
        @OCGameStudio | Sphere Complex | twitch.tv/WFMOz

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by TheFoyer View Post
          Hey mordentral great plugin. I was quickly able to get a multiplayer VR game setup pretty quickly. But I must admit I'm struggling getting the Grip Actor function to "work" on clients.

          > Has Grip functions that are also replicated (call them on the server) but are an optional feature

          When my client calls "grip actor" it doesn't attach. I moved it behind "switch has authority" and still no go. Does it matter if the actor itself is replicated or not? Is there anything else I am missing besides making sure the function is called server side? Thanks

          EDIT:

          Whoops, I forgot that the controller pressed events were client side. Once I added a RPC to fire the grip actor function everything worked as it should!
          Yeah I actually have it print to the log saying "Call this on the server" when you call it from the client as well.


          Consider supporting me on patreon

          My Open source tools and plugins
          Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

          Comment


            #80
            Keep in mind that I have the grip movement all client side currently, I had server side grips during collision originally but it got really aggravating as a client trying to move things due to latency issues. I have a Trello card to expose server side grip movement as an option in the future again but will leave client side as the default.

            When i get time to go back and finish the hybrid grip type I think that server side would work better, that grip should be the end all be all when it is working perfectly (it still passes through some weird meshes at odd angles sometimes.....).


            Consider supporting me on patreon

            My Open source tools and plugins
            Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by mordentral View Post
              Yeah I actually have it print to the log saying "Call this on the server" when you call it from the client as well.
              Hm maybe it's possibly I glossed over it but don't recall that! In VR it's almost impossible to see the log messages if they print to screen (don't know if those do or not)

              > Keep in mind that I have the grip movement all client side currently

              Does that mean the movement is processed client side so it would be possible to inject your own values? Luckily that's not a concern for myself but good to know for future reference.
              Last edited by TheFoyer; 09-02-2016, 01:53 PM.
              Columbus Ohio Unreal Meetup
              @OCGameStudio | Sphere Complex | twitch.tv/WFMOz

              Comment


                #82
                Originally posted by TheFoyer View Post
                Hm maybe it's possibly I glossed over it but don't recall that! In VR it's almost impossible to see the log messages if they print to screen (don't know if those do or not)

                > Keep in mind that I have the grip movement all client side currently

                Does that mean the movement is processed client side so it would be possible to inject your own values? Luckily that's not a concern for myself but good to know for future reference.
                Well you could always inject your own values even if the server denied it, just run OnHit events and position checks on the server side and its all good. When objects are attached to actors they actually stop replicating as well and each client updates their position instead, It works like that currently for my grip system. Like I said I intend to make it optional to have server side position and it will work pretty good with the hybrid grid, but having latency in the other grips when trying to move is really jarring.


                Not to mention the ultimate problem that in VR the client is the authority for where their limbs are.



                Also that warning prints to the editor log, not to the screen.


                Consider supporting me on patreon

                My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

                Comment


                  #83
                  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong here? I'm following these instructions.

                  Clone Or Download Zip and extract this repository to a folder named "VRExpansionPlugin" in your "ProjectName/Plugins" directory, create this directory if it is missing.

                  So I do that exactly.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Docs.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1114507

                  But then I get this error on launch.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	PluginMissing.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	1114508
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Plugin.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1114509

                  Comment


                    #84
                    It needs to be recompiled? If you updated to 4.13 the current repository version is still for 4.12.5. It works on 4.13 but has to be re-compiled for it.

                    My 4.13 specific branch is undergoing heavy changes so I don't feel comfortable releasing it yet. This is part of the issue of supporting multiple engine versions.

                    I believe that the template using it has a pre-compile version for 4.13 currently.


                    Consider supporting me on patreon

                    My Open source tools and plugins
                    Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

                    Comment


                      #85
                      [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION] - Have you tried using CCD for the hybrid mode? Might help the tunneling in those corner cases.
                      Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

                      Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

                      Comment


                        #86
                        [MENTION=50701]tcla75[/MENTION] I had problems recompiling my project too. Made a new one (BP), compiled with an empty c++ class, added the plugin in the folder, recompiled again, then it worked. Migrated my content from the old project and adjusted it. Guess that just works if you're not that far with your project tho.
                        [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION]: Thanks a lot for this plugin, it's really helped me out with the object interaction. It's actually the first one I'm using, for new versions I assume I'll just have to copy in the new version of the plugin and recompile?

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by Saiodin View Post
                          [MENTION=50701]tcla75[/MENTION] I had problems recompiling my project too. Made a new one (BP), compiled with an empty c++ class, added the plugin in the folder, recompiled again, then it worked. Migrated my content from the old project and adjusted it. Guess that just works if you're not that far with your project tho.
                          [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION]: Thanks a lot for this plugin, it's really helped me out with the object interaction. It's actually the first one I'm using, for new versions I assume I'll just have to copy in the new version of the plugin and recompile?
                          Thanks Saiodin. I actually found an easier way which was removing the plugin from my project, adding c++ to it (Which I didn't have,BP only) then restart it and then it asked me to rebuild it.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            I just tried the 4.13 VR template and found it to be greatly lacking (w/ regards to player collision) compared to this plugin, so I'll be sticking with it for now.

                            I'm having a heck of a time getting grab / drop to work (being a horrible newbie to UE4 and all) and was wondering if there are any step-by-step guides on setting this up with VREP I could follow, just to get my bearings. I couldn't even get overlap events to trigger.

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
                              [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION] - Have you tried using CCD for the hybrid mode? Might help the tunneling in those corner cases.
                              I don't want to force CCD on for anything due to its performance hit, I think I found where it was going wrong last night though and intend to try and get it up and running today.


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                                Thanks Saiodin. I actually found an easier way which was removing the plugin from my project, adding c++ to it (Which I didn't have,BP only) then restart it and then it asked me to rebuild it.
                                You need to have a c++ class anyway for packaging since it is a source based plugin. You can package them like the marketplace does with just binaries but then it has to be installed in the engines directory and that is a lot harder to manage with something going through constant changes.


                                Consider supporting me on patreon

                                My Open source tools and plugins
                                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X