Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bashar Hamdan View Post
    Hello Mordentral,

Thank you for your feedback. Just one more question, when i adjust the parent class of the movement BP to arm swing forsay, i get the controllers stuck on Teleport instead. Can you tell me how to adjust this setting in your plugin template? Sorrry for the very noob question, im just a designer by trade.

Cheers, and thank you for your work!
    In the template I have enums for the controllers that are set LeftControllerMovementMode / RightControllerMovementMode, when you press the grip buttons it cycles between these Enums, the movement logic changes depending on what the current enum value is for each hand.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

When I free grip an object with a manipulation grip I am expecting it to create freely rotational constraint between the touch point of the grab sphere and the touch point of the gripped object.

What appears to happen is that the constraint is made to the location of the Grip Motion Controller instead of the touch point of the grab sphere. Also the orientation of the controller affects the gripped object and sends the object spinning madly.

When I try to counter this spinning effect by making the object interactible with Ignore Hand Rotation ticked I get strange behaviour where the gripped object only behaves correctly when gripped at its origin.

Is this intentional? I have a large crank wheel I want to turn by free gripping its circumference with the a rotationally free manipulation grip but can't for the life of me get it working. It's seems it should be simple. :-(

I'm a bit confused. Its entirely possible I'm misunderstanding things. I'd appreciate some advice.
      Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
        When I free grip an object with a manipulation grip I am expecting it to create freely rotational constraint between the touch point of the grab sphere and the touch point of the gripped object.

What appears to happen is that the constraint is made to the location of the Grip Motion Controller controller instead of the touch point of the grab sphere. Also the orientation of the controller affects the gripped object and sends the object spinning madly.

When I try to counter this spinning effect by making the object interactible with Ignore Hand Rotation ticked I get strange behaviour where the gripped object only behaves correctly when gripped at its origin.

Is this intentional? I have a large crank wheel I want to turn by free gripping its circumference with the a rotationally free manipulation grip but can't for the life of me get it working. It's seems it should be simple. :-(

I'm a bit confused. Its entirely possible I'm misunderstanding things. I'd appreciate some advice.
        Manipulation grips offset is relative to where you grip it from, it makes a kinematic actor that holds the offset from the hand (the sphere location) and connects to the point on the object you are touching, it sounds like you are passing in an incorrect transform or not actually using the manipulation grip?

Also the manipulation grip does keep one axis of rotation, roll, as that allows for turning door handles and the like, but that shouldn't effect a properly setup wheel.

You may want to turn off late updates on all Manipulation gripped objects, I used to force it off but decided that it was a bad idea to force any behavior like that. Late updates tend to break physics constrained objects like that as it will force them out of their max bounds.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
          Manipulation grips offset is relative to where you grip it from, it makes a kinematic actor that holds the offset from the hand (the sphere location) and connects to the point on the object you are touching, it sounds like you are passing in an incorrect transform or not actually using the manipulation grip?

Also the manipulation grip does keep one axis of rotation, roll, as that allows for turning door handles and the like, but that shouldn't effect a properly setup wheel.

You may want to turn off late updates on all Manipulation gripped objects, I used to force it off but decided that it was a bad idea to force any behavior like that. Late updates tend to break physics constrained objects like that as it will force them out of their max bounds.
          Thanks. I'll go and check and double check the things you point out in my code. The problem with still having one axis of rotation still enabled with the manipulation grip is that a twist of the hand will turn a huge wheel right round, hence my experiments with Is Interactible and Ignore Hand Rotation (everthing else not limited, I'm using a physics constraint for the rotation.) This does behave unexpectedly I think.

I'll do a test in your template level and see if I can screenshot whats going on...

Comment

In your template level I set the free default grip type to be manipulation on the PotionMesh component in the PotionActor with no other settings changed. It behaves oddly (to me.) I'd expect it to just dangle there from the grip point (allowing for the hand rotation you mentioned.)

Comment

In your template level I set the free default grip type to be manipulation on the PotionMesh component in the PotionActor with no other settings changed. It behaves oddly (to me.) I'd expect it to just dangle there from the grip point (allowing for the hand rotation you mentioned.)
              It does for me, what is it doing for you?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

For me the gripped potion spins madly and appears to be attached to the motion controller component origin, not the grab sphere.

How strange. The only change from your downloaded template map was the grip type change to manipulation.

I wonder what I've messed up?

It's 3:30am here, which probably doesn't help me. I'll experiment more tomorrow and post again. Thanks for your help, these issues are driving me nuts and now you and I seem to get different results on an identical project. What a headache.
                Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-29-2017, 10:31 PM.

Comment

For me the gripped potion spins madly and appears to be attached to the motion controller component origin, not the grab sphere.

How strange. The only change from your downloaded template map was the grip type change to manipulation.

I wonder what I've messed up?

It's 3:30am here, which probably doesn't help me. I'll experiment more tomorrow and post again. Thanks for your help, these issues are driving me nuts and now you and I seem to get different results on an identical project. What a headache.
                  Mmmmm, No I was able to reproduce by holding the very tip of the potion bottle, its just fighting the angle it wants to hold with controller roll. Removing the roll drive fixes it and it just swings loosely then.

I'll remove the roll from the manipulation grip for now, it actually was never going to work as well as interactive components for that anyway consider it takes the controllers initial angle into account as well.

*Edit* I may have to look into manipulation grips root location for the constraint some, regardless I can't push any changes live until I clean up some code for the Vive Puck and the Camera nodes tomorrow.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 03-29-2017, 11:41 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Mmmmm, No I was able to reproduce by holding the very tip of the potion bottle, its just fighting the angle it wants to hold with controller roll. Removing the roll drive fixes it and it just swings loosely then.

I'll remove the roll from the manipulation grip for now, it actually was never going to work as well as interactive components for that anyway consider it takes the controllers initial angle into account as well.

*Edit* I may have to look into manipulation grips root location for the constraint some, regardless I can't push any changes live until I clean up some code for the Vive Puck and the Camera nodes tomorrow.
                    Thank you very much. Your post was my first 'internet' when I woke up and it has cheered me up lots! I'm not going mad after all.
                    :-)

EDIT: Also saw lots of BlueprintLog overlap messages when picking up the template gun on what I presume is your new stereo layer widget. Really cool. Made me feel like The Terminator.
                    Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much. Your post was my first 'internet' when I woke up and it has cheered me up lots! I'm not going mad after all.
                      :-)

EDIT: Also saw lots of BlueprintLog overlap messages when picking up the template gun on what I presume is your new stereo layer widget. Really cool. Made me feel like The Terminator.
                      Yeah I fixed that last night, someone was complaining about overlaps misfiring and I added a debug log to the gun for testing and forgot to remove it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I can't make the HeadMesh component of the pawn cast a shadow. It's set up the same as the mannequin hands as far as I can see. Could the problem be due to the proximity of the head mesh with the camera?

Cheers

EDIT: I fixed it by replacing the skeletal head mesh box with the GenericHMD static mesh from Epic's VR template.
                        Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-30-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I can't make the HeadMesh component of the pawn cast a shadow. It's set up the same as the mannequin hands as far as I can see. Could the problem be due to the proximity of the head mesh with the camera?

Cheers

EDIT: I fixed it by replacing the skeletal head mesh box with the GenericHMD static mesh from Epic's VR template.
                          Yeah it was just a box, shadow casting was probably turned off for it.

Also I'm not sure I should be removing twist and changing manipulation grips point of contact. The problem is that I will have to start passing in the hit location of grip attempts in order to move the interaction point and most uses of manipulation grip don't require this. It is more overhead for something that is rarely used and I can't really support every possible interaction with just plugin grips anyway, which is why I added the custom grip in the first place. Also on overlap there IS no clean hit point so the logic on that case is difficult to take care of automatically as it pretty much depends on the how the user wants to interact with the object.

I think your use case would be better served by using a "custom grip" and manually constraining the hand and the object when the "OnGrip" event is fired, then "OnDrop" removing the constraint. This will let you get the exact functionality that you want. That or adding a dedicated "handle" interactor to your wheel that you can grip instead that is then constrained to the wheel.

*Edit* Also your greyed out simulate is caused by the mesh not having a physics collision set up, also I made a "wheel" that is constrained in world to only rotate on the rim axis and it works fine with a stock manipulation grip. I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish though.
                          Last edited by mordentral; 03-30-2017, 12:39 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Yeah it was just a box, shadow casting was probably turned off for it.

Also I'm not sure I should be removing twist and changing manipulation grips point of contact. The problem is that I will have to start passing in the hit location of grip attempts in order to move the interaction point and most uses of manipulation grip don't require this. It is more overhead for something that is rarely used and I can't really support every possible interaction with just plugin grips anyway, which is why I added the custom grip in the first place. Also on overlap there IS no clean hit point so the logic on that case is difficult to take care of automatically as it pretty much depends on the how the user wants to interact with the object.

I think your use case would be better served by using a "custom grip" and manually constraining the hand and the object when the "OnGrip" event is fired, then "OnDrop" removing the constraint. This will let you get the exact functionality that you want. That or adding a dedicated "handle" interactor to your wheel that you can grip instead that is then constrained to the wheel.
                            I think I understand the concerns you have about the overhead here but I disagree that the use I want to put the manipulation grip to will be rarely used. My preference is that the naked manipulation grip should act like grabbing an object between your thumb and finger (I get your point about this being object/grip specific) and letting it hang free to be moved around without hand rotation playing a role (optional?). I think most people would expect this behaviour as it is very useful for all sorts of situations.

Would you removing the hand twist from the manipulation grip and my custom grip point issue being handled some other way (by me) be a good compromise? If not then I'll try to follow your advice and implement a custom grip. Would I have to handle all sorts of multiplayer stuff in the custom grip that you do in the plugin? I'm sure to muck that up... :-(

Thanks

EDIT: I already have a handle on my wheel where I place a VRGripP1 socket. I want the grip for this point to be the manipulation grip I described above. Think rotating the large wheel/crank quickly, I don't want any rotational hand input on the grip for the handle otherwise you turn the wheel like you do whilst gripping a steering wheel. This is bad for things that aren't steering wheels. Apols if I'm not communicating clearly.
                            Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I think I understand the concerns you have about the overhead here but I disagree that the use I want to put the manipulation grip to will be rarely used. My preference is that the naked manipulation grip should act like grabbing an object between your thumb and finger (I get your point about this being object/grip specific) and letting it hang free to be moved around without hand rotation playing a role. I think most people would expect this behaviour as it is very useful for all sorts of situations.

Would you removing the hand twist from the manipulation grip and my custom grip point issue being handled some other way (by me) be a good compromise? If not then I'll try to follow your advice and implement a custom grip. Would I have to handle all sorts of multiplayer stuff in the custom grip that you do in the plugin? I'm sure to muck that up... :-(

Thanks
                              Its injecting the hit location that is the problem (How to know where to put the constraint on the hand), there is no way to do it automatically off of the relative transform and I went through the effort of actually implementing it in the plugin this morning as an optional in variable and I didn't like it due to how much additional blueprint nodes it required as well as not being compatible with overlaps as they don't throw a hit location. As far as wrist goes I don't know for sure that people aren't currently using that functionality and so I am loath to change it, more so when generally it doesn't play into the standard interactions. However I WILL make a concession and add an additional grip type "ManipulationGripWithWristTwist" which will retain the classic functionality, with the original dropping the twist drive.

As far as multiplayer, custom grips will throw OnGrip and ReleaseGrip notifications on all authority clients for gripping, in the case of client side gripping that would be everyone, for server side it would be the server only. For custom grips the logic and what happens is all handled in the object being gripped (like Epics default template).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed new commits to the template and the plugin

Plugin changes
                                Code:
                                Linked OpenVRExpansion module directly into VRExpansion to avoid code duplication
                                and allow for cross module class children.

Added a probably temporary child class to GripMotionComponent "OpenVRTrackedDeviceComponent".
                                Until epic stops checking for left/right hand index or creates a new tracked controller class, the default motion controller
                                will not work with the VivePuck after a recent firmware update that changes it to a tracked device/other instead of a motion
                                controller in the OpenVR system. - A child class to UGripMotionController was chosen in order to keep all OpenVR
                                specific code in the OpenVR module. Required opening up the PollControllerState function as public (could have been protected
                                but might be useful) and virtual.

Removed all direct instances of including Engine.h and replaced with the relevant direct header includes.
                                Should improve compile times across the board.

Added interface for getting handles to OpenVR HMD cameras and getting the frame buffer from them into a Texture2D.

Added GetGripByObject node, an obvious node after transitioning to all UObject base for the plugin that was forgotton about.
                                Should eventually remove the GetGripByActor and GetGripByComponent nodes.

Split manipulation grip into a With Wrist Twist and Without Wrist Twist version types.

Default no longer has the wrist twisting drive.
                                Template Changes
                                Code:
                                Added example of drawing an OpenVR HMD camera to a texture for the vive_PawnCharacter.

Removed debug print string from the gun base.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X