VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
    I updated the plugins without any real problems. I had to update my base PawnCharacter to use the new filter nodes based on your template manually and remove now unused vars.

Is there an example use of VRStereoWidgetComponent in the template level? If so I must have overlooked it...

Thanks for the updates and support.
    No, its fairly alpha currently, I need to fix it in headspace. But for world space, just attach it to an actor, and set its widget to any random menu that you have (tested using the server browser). Unless the override is on it will render only in stereo layer while the HMD is active, it is best used for temporary menu's in openVR though as there is no world depth for stereo layers in openVR. Oculus has a world depth and may perform with occlusion correctly, I can't test.

The original idea is from Mitch, its just a lot cleaner and more compact to implement in C++ instead of blueprint.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Just an update, working on implementing the IVRCamera interface for "portals" to the real world possibilities, also have a tracking puck on the way that I intend to play around with after Wed.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
        Just an update, working on implementing the IVRCamera interface for "portals" to the real world possibilities, also have a tracking puck on the way that I intend to play around with after Wed.
        +1 for the HMD camera interface.

+1000 for integrating hip tracking (or whatever you think best) into your plugin. :-)

Comment

Hi Mordentral,

Is it possible to change the grip collision type while you have an object already gripped? I would like to switch from "Interactive collision with physics" to "Physics only" while I have the object in my hand. I set up a small test case but SetGripCollisionType always returns On Failed. I am doing something wrong?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1125650

If it's possible, does the change from one mode to the other have any performance cost?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by jawatr View Post
            Hi Mordentral,

Is it possible to change the grip collision type while you have an object already gripped? I would like to switch from "Interactive collision with physics" to "Physics only" while I have the object in my hand. I set up a small test case but SetGripCollisionType always returns On Failed. I am doing something wrong?

If it's possible, does the change from one mode to the other have any performance cost?

Thanks!!
            You can't "Make" a Grip struct in blueprint, I have most of the variables BlueprintReadOnly in order to prevent people from misusing them. What you should be doing instead is finding the grip for the held object and then passing that grip struct in to SetGripCollisionType (GetGripByComponent / GetGripByActor). That screen shot is failing because the "gripped object" is invalid.

For the server it immediately recreates the grip when the SetGripCollisionType function is called, when the array replicates over to the clients if they detect that the collision type has changed it will "Recreate" the grip then for them.

There is of course a minor performance cost in recreating a grip, over not doing it, when recreating it iterates over all of the values again and sets relevant component settings, but its nothing more than gripping an object in the first place does.

Actually I should probably add GetGripByObject too....

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

It worked like charm, thank you so much

BTW, do you have any tutorial/documentation on how to set up the plugin to work in a multiplayer game? I know the template has an example but I guess that you have to activate several things to make it work and I will have to replicate this in my game.

Thanks
              Last edited by jawatr; 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Hello Mordentral,

I hope all is well. I was having an issue with the plugin, that i hope you could help me with. In my game i am testing the the ability to grab everything, so i left it the default values, but when i switched one of the controllers to 'Dpadhover' and 'RunInPlace', it creates what seems to be hovering in empty space and no gravity. I am not sure how to reproduce this in any other level i have in my game, but i am trying to figure it out, i can post a video if it would make more sense. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jawatr View Post
                  It worked like charm, thank you so much

BTW, do you have any tutorial/documentation on how to set up the plugin to work in a multiplayer game? I know the template has an example but I guess that you have to activate several things to make it work and I will have to replicate this in my game.

Thanks
                  For the most part it works just like any other engine setup for multiplayer, the template covers plugin specific things but the setup in general is the same. I tried to keep the wokflow as close to vanilla as possible.

Originally posted by Bashar Hamdan View Post
                  Hello Mordentral,

I hope all is well. I was having an issue with the plugin, that i hope you could help me with. In my game i am testing the the ability to grab everything, so i left it the default values, but when i switched one of the controllers to 'Dpadhover' and 'RunInPlace', it creates what seems to be hovering in empty space and no gravity. I am not sure how to reproduce this in any other level i have in my game, but i am trying to figure it out, i can post a video if it would make more sense. Thank you!
                  *Edit* are you talking about switching movement modes while climbing causing that? Sounds like you are stuck in Climbing movement mode, there might be a missed edge case for switching movements while climbing that isn't covered in the template, its not really intended that games have all movement modes toggled by a button at all times as its actually kind of awkward, I just have that in the plugin for quick testing of the different modes.

I'll look into it and see if it sticks to climbing movement mode when switching modes in some weird situation, otherwise its likely from you converting the character over and having a check missed.

Either way its in the blueprints.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Ok, I will take a look at the template and the engine tutorials. Thank you very much for your help and keep up the great work with this plugin!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar Hamdan View Post
                      Hello Mordentral,

I just checked, I deny movement mode switching during climbing, so the template doesn't have a "changed movement mode during climb" check. Just put the pawn into falling or manually set them to the movement mode that you want / end climbing.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Got the camera buffer capturing working, needs some work still to ensure that everything is safe, but works great.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Got the camera buffer capturing working, needs some work still to ensure that everything is safe, but works great.

**** this looks interesting, can't wait to test it out. Great work !
                          VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

You can drop it without simulation and instantly pick it back up again with the other hand. See how the template project does it.

The drop function deletes it from the held item array for the hand, so it is kind of necessary, also the fired events can be important.
                            Hi, thank you for the reply.

What I wanted to do is something more "natural". You have an object in your right hand but you want to grab another object with your right hand so you switch hands just grabbing the object you have to your right hand with your left hand. Many vr games do this (hope it make sense).

I have another problem. I have not tested a lot but when I'm running vr mode from editor and I select "Run dedicated server" it will launch the game spawning a "normal" actor instead of the vr actor. Why? It's a problem of mine or it's common?

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DaviDemo View Post
                              Hi, thank you for the reply.

What I wanted to do is something more "natural". You have an object in your right hand but you want to grab another object with your right hand so you switch hands just grabbing the object you have to your right hand with your left hand. Many vr games do this (hope it make sense).

I have another problem. I have not tested a lot but when I'm running vr mode from editor and I select "Run dedicated server" it will launch the game spawning a "normal" actor instead of the vr actor. Why? It's a problem of mine or it's common?

Thank you!
                              ....Yeah that is exactly what it does, "dropping" is just telling the hand to release it so that the other hand can pick it up without interference, if you drop/pickup on the same frame then it just switches hands, think of it like in real life where the one hand lets go when the other hand grabs.

If you try the template out every object can be swapped back and forth between hands seamlessly, the only things that don't are two handed grip objects when you are gripping at a secondary point as it uses two handed interactions then. You just check if the other hand is holding the object when going to pick it up, and if so fire a drop command to that hand, and continue picking the object up.

Also the editor doesn't support running in VR outside of the VR Preview mode, dedicated server mode may be broken in VR, I haven't tried it as it generally isn't fully functional anyway.
                              Last edited by mordentral; 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thank you

I just checked, I deny movement mode switching during climbing, so the template doesn't have a "changed movement mode during climb" check. Just put the pawn into falling or manually set them to the movement mode that you want / end climbing.
                                Hello Mordentral,

Thank you for your feedback. Just one more question, when i adjust the parent class of the movement BP to arm swing forsay, i get the controllers stuck on Teleport instead. Can you tell me how to adjust this setting in your plugin template? Sorrry for the very noob question, im just a designer by trade.

Cheers, and thank you for your work!

Comment

Working...
                                X