No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mordentral. I've got a StaticMeshGrippable actor with a Child Actor Component. I've noticed a subtle problem in that the mass of the child actor seems to affect the gripped object (seems to make it heavier/grip softer) even with the child actor not set to simulate.

Is it possible there is a bug or info that I need to know about on how your plugin handles child actors of the gripped actor? It's likely not a bug just my poor understanding on what is actually going on but I've eliminated some obvious things I thought it could be with no effect and thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
      Hi Mordentral. I've got a StaticMeshGrippable actor with a Child Actor Component. I've noticed a subtle problem in that the mass of the child actor seems to affect the gripped object (seems to make it heavier/grip softer) even with the child actor not set to simulate.

Is it possible there is a bug or info that I need to know about on how your plugin handles child actors of the gripped actor? It's likely not a bug just my poor understanding on what is actually going on but I've eliminated some obvious things I thought it could be with no effect and thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
      Don't weld physics bodies when attaching, it isn't a plugin thing.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
        Don't weld physics bodies when attaching, it isn't a plugin thing.
        I'm not welding physics bodies unless I misunderstand. I have a GrippableStaticMesh actor which has greyed-out SimulatePhysics and MassInKg boxes. I can grip this just fine with Interactive Collision with Physics & Late updates always off.

If I add BP_Box as a child actor that weighs 100Kg to the grippable actor but with Simulate false on the child actor I am expecting the 100Kg not to contribute to the mass of the gripped object. I.e. just act as another collision primitive. Is there any way I can setup this behaviour?

Comment

I'm not welding physics bodies unless I misunderstand. I have a GrippableStaticMesh actor which has greyed-out SimulatePhysics and MassInKg boxes. I can grip this just fine with Interactive Collision with Physics & Late updates always off.

If I add BP_Box as a child actor that weighs 100Kg to the grippable actor but with Simulate false on the child actor I am expecting the 100Kg not to contribute to the mass of the gripped object. I.e. just act as another collision primitive. Is there any way I can setup this behaviour?
          Child components auto weld to their parents, you need to turn that off in the settings if you don't want it to effect weight (uncheck auto weld in the component/actor).

*Edit* Root component, set it on that
          Last edited by mordentral; 03-23-2017, 09:30 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Child components auto weld to their parents, you need to turn that off in the settings if you don't want it to effect weight (uncheck auto weld in the component/actor).

*Edit* Root component, set it on that
            Thanks! That is almost certainly the source of my problem and I was unaware of the option before. However the auto weld option is not available for the Child Actor components. Can you suggest a workaround? Child Actor components are so powerful it would be terrible if I can't get them to behave as wanted for gripped actors.

Comment

Thanks! That is almost certainly the source of my problem and I was unaware of the option before. However the auto weld option is not available for the Child Actor components. Can you suggest a workaround? Child Actor components are so powerful it would be terrible if I can't get them to behave as wanted for gripped actors.
              You don't set it on the child actor component, you set it on the root of the actor that it spawns / unweld and re-attach.

Child actors are newer to the engine and don't fit the architecture as well as just components themselves, you will find times you need to make up workarounds for them.

Also in many cases scripting behavior into a component itself provides all of the logic you need, you very rarely need a full additional actor.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You don't set it on the child actor component, you set it on the root of the actor that it spawns / unweld and re-attach.

Child actors are newer to the engine and don't fit the architecture as well as just components themselves, you will find times you need to make up workarounds for them.

Also in many cases scripting behavior into a component itself provides all of the logic you need, you very rarely need a full additional actor.
                Yes, I understand better now. I have turned off auto weld in the roots of my attached child actors and it seemingly makes no difference. I need to do more tests but you are correct that the plugin is not involved here and what I am seeing is a peculiarity with child actor components and physics objects. I know there have been problems with child actors and realise that workarounds are needed for some things. Another one may be needed for this or it may be a genuine bug.

Of course having written this I will immediately find it's all my fault... I appreciate your expert help, I'm pretty certain the auto-weld behaviour is at fault here once you brought it up.

I appreciate that adding child actors as components can be a sledgehammer to crack a nut but we have a great feature that means I must get them working in this case.

EDIT: Attached Child Actors set to simulate work perfectly with the gripped object but are free to move independently of it. Auto weld setting has no effect. I may experiment with setting simulate and/or force welding the child actors on Construction or On Play as attempted workarounds.
                Last edited by IslandPlaya; 03-23-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

One more small thing. Is it normal for a GrippableStaticMesh actor to have its simulate physics property greyed out/unsettable?

Comment

Hi,

how can I make an object change hand without dropping it first?
                    I have an object in my left hand and I want instead take it in my right hand. If I try to grab it with my right hand it doesn't work. I have first to drop it from my left hand and than grab it with my right hand.

Any suggestion? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DaviDemo View Post
                      Hi,

how can I make an object change hand without dropping it first?
                      I have an object in my left hand and I want instead take it in my right hand. If I try to grab it with my right hand it doesn't work. I have first to drop it from my left hand and than grab it with my right hand.

Any suggestion? Thank you!
                      You can drop it without simulation and instantly pick it back up again with the other hand. See how the template project does it.

The drop function deletes it from the held item array for the hand, so it is kind of necessary, also the fired events can be important.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Where does the second grip gets implemented in the project template ? I know there's a bool set for bCanHaveDoubleGrip, however I'm wondering where I'd need to check to make controller/hand invisible on second (double) grip, especially that I've been trying to find any kind of reference to second socket (VRGripS1), no luck though.
                        VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

Thanks so much for this plugin, it helps so much, and your example project is great to learn from.

I'm having an issue with the gripping in my project though, and wondering if it's just something simple. When holding an object in one hand and trying to grab it with another, only the sphere trace works... getOverlappingComponents returns nothing. Overlaps happen normally on objects not being held.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin_ji View Post
                            Where does the second grip gets implemented in the project template ? I know there's a bool set for bCanHaveDoubleGrip, however I'm wondering where I'd need to check to make controller/hand invisible on second (double) grip, especially that I've been trying to find any kind of reference to second socket (VRGripS1), no luck though.
                            In the grip check code it first checks if the other hand is holding it, if so and it allows for a secondary grip then it activates the secondary grip. The grippable components return the grip points, not the player, its implemented in the default for grippables to check for the closest VRGrip prefixed socket.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new commit to the plugin and template today

Template
                              Code:
                              Added new rolling average and exponential low pass filter nodes to template

Converted smoothing step for RIP and armswing to use the new nodes.

Also included an implementation of a rolling average low pass filter in blueprint for reference.

Added new test actor "VRStereoWidgetActor" which uses the new VRStereoWidgetComponent.
                              Plugin
                              Code:
                              Added rolling average and exponential low pass filter nodes to the plugin for quick use when wanting to smooth values from
                              things like HMD and controller movements.

Added new component to the template "VRStereoWidgetComponent", acts like a standard widget component except when in VR will render the widget to a stereo layer instead of the world.
                              Probably needs a lot of testing (mostly since I don't have oculus hardware anymore) and will need some cleanup, however the basic world space version of it works.

Sadly OpenVR stereo layers don't support world depth and occlusion, Oculus ones may work correctly with this setting but I am unable to test.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I updated the plugins without any real problems. I had to update my base PawnCharacter to use the new filter nodes based on your template manually and remove now unused vars.

Is there an example use of VRStereoWidgetComponent in the template level? If so I must have overlooked it...

Thanks for the updates and support.

Comment

Working...
                                X