VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
    Create a filter for climbing in the "Getoverlappingactors" function.

I also don't know what you mean walls move when the head is colliding, the walls themselves move?

What do you mean without orientation on the teleport? Its not supposed to re-orient you when teleporting currently, you can feel free to add that yourself but for roomscale it is pretty disorienting.
    thank you ver ymuch for the reply mordentral

by orientation i mean the blue teleporting cursor which usually rotates with the trackpad. I am currrnetly using the stand only version not room scale. Please guide me how to add it.

also what can i do with teleporting accuracy, it seems slightly offset sometimes and sometimes it wont teleport.

appreciating a ton for plugin and speedy support

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Jomax3d View Post
      thank you ver ymuch for the reply mordentral

by orientation i mean the blue teleporting cursor which usually rotates with the trackpad. I am currrnetly using the stand only version not room scale. Please guide me how to add it.

also what can i do with teleporting accuracy, it seems slightly offset sometimes and sometimes it wont teleport.

appreciating a ton for plugin and speedy support

thank you
      Ah, the HMD pawn uses a different teleport setup than the Motion Controller pawn for Epics setup, I kept their pawns alive in the template though so you can open up the HMDLocomotionPawn and add/remove (copy / paste over) as you wish. The offset is likely your position in the room offsetting you from center in my pawns, as they are roomscale it won't show you centered in the teleport cursor (assuming standing position oculus, if you are on GearVR then I don't know what you mean by offset).

The current default setup for the template example uses Epics MotionController Pawn teleport setup for roomscale.
      Last edited by mordentral; 03-13-2017, 09:13 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I don't have the log right now, but it fires an access violation exception in GripMotionControllerComponent.cpp at line 2316:
        "if (GetWorld()->ComponentOverlapMultiByChannel(Hits, root, root->GetComponentLocation(), root->GetComponentQuat(), root->GetCollisionObjectType(), Params))"

Comment

Mordentral. Could you tell me if the multiplayer voice-chat microphone stuff I see in the VR pawn is usable?
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
            Mordentral. Could you tell me if the multiplayer voice-chat microphone stuff I see in the VR pawn is usable?
            Thanks.
            I have it disabled, but yes, it technically is usable. You likely would have to increase your client bandwidth settings to get SteamVoice to work correctly in engine as it saturates the network on default engine settings. The voice stuff uses my other plugin "Advanced Sessions" to toggle voice, so just a warning if you try and migrate it.

I was playing around with moving the motion controller near the mouth to activate push to talk, could be open voice or button toggled instead.

defaultengine.ini would need these changed to true:

Code:
            [Voice] 
            bEnabled=False

[OnlineSubsystem]
            bHasVoiceEnabled=False
            Also Defaultgame.ini has this setting:

Code:
            [/Script/Engine.GameSession]
            bRequiresPushToTalk=true
            Last edited by mordentral; 03-13-2017, 10:24 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the important info, that's probably saved me a headache. I'll tinker with it.
              We've been playing with your plugin with a client over the net using quite a poor connection and it works great. Seems robust.

I tried to setup a racket game using the grip. After tinkering with all sorts of settings for the grip and the Physx properties it can be made to work quite well. However the penetration of the ball into the bat when hitting the ball spoils it.
              What are your recommend settings for a bat/ball setup and is it possible the fix the interpenetration/lag issue?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IslandPlaya View Post
                Excellent. Thanks for the important info, that's probably saved me a headache. I'll tinker with it.
                We've been playing with your plugin with a client over the net using quite a poor connection and it works great. Seems robust.

I tried to setup a racket game using the grip. After tinkering with all sorts of settings for the grip and the Physx properties it can be made to work quite well. However the penetration of the ball into the bat when hitting the ball spoils it.
                What are your recommend settings for a bat/ball setup and is it possible the fix the interpenetration/lag issue?

Many thanks.
                That is a result of the late update kicking in, visually the bat and its collider are slightly offset as it carries on a little past where it was when the physics were ran.

You can turn off late updates for it (bat will lag behind controller a bit)
                Do some velocity checks and try and figure out the bats future position for impacts
                Accept the interpenetration

I have the enum for "NotWhenCollidingOrDoubleGripping" that is defaulted to true for grips that when in collision the bat should stop late updates, however this would cause a visual hitch in the bat itself and since the collision is likely across one frame it probably isn't going to be noticable, so whether that is preferable or not I don't know.

Also you might want to look into RoboRecalls bullet slaps as they use the new CCD setting for kinematic actors to keep hitting fast moving projectiles easy.

Bats also don't really need to be physically constrained (could be a different grip type), but if you are getting acceptable results with a high strength constraint than thats fine.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMrG View Post
                  Hello Mordentral,
                  When I grab a destructible mesh and destroy it while it is grabbed, it causes the game (and the editor) to crash. Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
                  I added a check to the motion controller where if the held object is a destructible component that is currently (just) fractured then it auto drops it and prints a warning to the log that such objects should be dropped before fracturing.

I was right, when fracturing it removes its scene reference and re-creates them in the async scene, this normally wouldn't be a big deal except the engines ComponentMultiOverlap function crashes on getting the objects physx scene shapes after fracturing (not exactly a plugin bug I guess). Also it leaves the object in hand which eats up resources so it shouldn't be like that anyway.

If you want a cleaner way to handle held destructibles I would actually suggest having a grippable actor with a primitive root component and then a destructible mesh component attached to that root component. That way you are not directly constraining the object that will fracture and can work out some neat effects with it.

Regardless the check in in the plugin now, I am not entirely sure that I SHOULD be checking for this, or whether I should be enforcing proper cleanup on the part of the user but until I make up my mind I added it in.

Pushed new commit to the template/ plugin

Code:
                  Fixed Vivecharacter not picking up base simulating actors anymore (when changing for the new IsHeld interface function I set a node wrong)

Added the plugins new check for destructible components being fractured, not entirely sure that I should even be doing this.
                  In the future I may force the end user to properly clean up destructible meshes instead by dropping them or attaching them to
                  a root component that is gripped instead.

Currently auto drops the held component when it detects fracturing
                  Last edited by mordentral; 03-13-2017, 11:20 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

That is a result of the late update kicking in, visually the bat and its collider are slightly offset as it carries on a little past where it was when the physics were ran.

You can turn off late updates for it (bat will lag behind controller a bit)
                    Do some velocity checks and try and figure out the bats future position for impacts
                    Accept the interpenetration

I have the enum for "NotWhenCollidingOrDoubleGripping" that is defaulted to true for grips that when in collision the bat should stop late updates, however this would cause a visual hitch in the bat itself and since the collision is likely across one frame it probably isn't going to be noticable, so whether that is preferable or not I don't know.

Also you might want to look into RoboRecalls bullet slaps as they use the new CCD setting for kinematic actors to keep hitting fast moving projectiles easy.

Bats also don't really need to be physically constrained (could be a different grip type), but if you are getting acceptable results with a high strength constraint than thats fine.
                    I think the info about handling the late update setting could be what I'm looking for. I'll add this setting to the pot when exploring the grip parameter space.

Thanks once more.

A tip for other folks playing with spherical Physx bodies. Make sure you turn on Enable PCM in Project Settings - Engine - Physics - Simulation - Advanced. Your balls will be badly behaved otherwise (!)

Comment

I added a check to the motion controller where if the held object is a destructible component that is currently (just) fractured then it auto drops it and prints a warning to the log that such objects should be dropped before fracturing.

I was right, when fracturing it removes its scene reference and re-creates them in the async scene, this normally wouldn't be a big deal except the engines ComponentMultiOverlap function crashes on getting the objects physx scene shapes after fracturing (not exactly a plugin bug I guess). Also it leaves the object in hand which eats up resources so it shouldn't be like that anyway.

If you want a cleaner way to handle held destructibles I would actually suggest having a grippable actor with a primitive root component and then a destructible mesh component attached to that root component. That way you are not directly constraining the object that will fracture and can work out some neat effects with it.

Regardless the check in in the plugin now, I am not entirely sure that I SHOULD be checking for this, or whether I should be enforcing proper cleanup on the part of the user but until I make up my mind I added it in.

Pushed new commit to the template/ plugin

Code:
                      Fixed Vivecharacter not picking up base simulating actors anymore (when changing for the new IsHeld interface function I set a node wrong)

Added the plugins new check for destructible components being fractured, not entirely sure that I should even be doing this.
                      In the future I may force the end user to properly clean up destructible meshes instead by dropping them or attaching them to
                      a root component that is gripped instead.

Currently auto drops the held component when it detects fracturing
                      First of all thank you very much for yourf work!

I tried to attach the destructible mesh to a static one that dissappears when the destructible fractures, but it causes instant fracture, which is undesirable. I don't know if you mean another thing by primitive root component.

Again thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMrG View Post
                        First of all thank you very much for yourf work!

I tried to attach the destructible mesh to a static one that dissappears when the destructible fractures, but it causes instant fracture, which is undesirable. I don't know if you mean another thing by primitive root component.

Again thanks in advance
                        You likely have fracture on impact turned on and it is colliding with it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I tried getting this project to work in 4.13 and 4.14. Each time with different issues. In 4.14 it's saying VRExpPluginExample could not be complied. Try rebuilding from source manually. When I try to build in Visual Studio it says SteamVRPrivate.h No such file or directory.

In 4.13 I got the project to open in unreal but when I tried to load the SteamVR Game Override it would do nothing a say the package failed to load.

Is anyone interested in getting paid to help me set this project up and get it working... Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan326 View Post
                            Hi Everyone,

I tried getting this project to work in 4.13 and 4.14. Each time with different issues. In 4.14 it's saying VRExpPluginExample could not be complied. Try rebuilding from source manually. When I try to build in Visual Studio it says SteamVRPrivate.h No such file or directory.

In 4.13 I got the project to open in unreal but when I tried to load the SteamVR Game Override it would do nothing a say the package failed to load.

Is anyone interested in getting paid to help me set this project up and get it working... Please help.
                            You need to use the 4.14 locked branch, you downloaded the 4.15 version.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You need to use the 4.14 locked branch, you downloaded the 4.15 version.
                              I'd like to note that in one of the instructions you still say it's only compatible with 4.13 and 4.14, which also got me confused

How do I get set up?
                              Current compatible versions for template: 4.13-4.14
                              Right click on VRExpPluginExample.uproject and switch to your preferred (compatible) engine version.
                              If project files did not automatically generate after switching, right click again and select "Generate Visual Studio Files"
                              Open Solution and build
                              Run

Comment

Originally posted by Link_AJ View Post
                                I'd like to note that in one of the instructions you still say it's only compatible with 4.13 and 4.14, which also got me confused
                                It is compatible with multiple versions although, there are releases of the plugin corresponding to each UE version. In other words, there is no universal plugin release which works on all the UE versions.
                                I hope that explains things to you guys (=

Comment

Working...
                                X