Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silpher View Post
    Hey Mordentral,

Still enjoying the plugin, Question though. How would you detect the release of for example the drawer? So whenever I pull the drawer out then release the drawer I can make something else happen?
    Event on grip release is for the whole blueprint isn't it? There are a couple of drawers in the blueprint and the event is just a single event.
    Any thoughts?

Cheers!
    You can compare the gripped object that is passed in on Event Release (part of the grip structure) to the drawers to get which one was dropped. That or you make the drawer a grippable component subclass itself with its own logic for when it is dropped and handle it in there directly.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by DonnieVegas View Post
      Hi [MENTION=7998]j[/MENTION]omax3d, and welcome to the forums dude!

Have you tried looking at the Unreal Video Tutorial section yet? You can find it here https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Videos/

Also there are a ton of really good tutorials to be found on YouTube, i have just started learning UE4 in the last month so you are not alone lol. Goodluck
      Peace
      D
      Thanks Donnie

i will check those

J

Comment

Weird, I thought I asked my question here already but can't find it so guess I'll do it again.
        The plugin seems very nice and I would like to use it for my project.

So to my question..
        Is there any license I should be aware of or may I do whatever I want with the plugin?
        Or what am I limited/restricted to? What can I not do?

Comment

Hey, another question.

I got a problem with crouching, it just does not work.

When I go to crouch, the capsule goes from this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-10 13_09_33.png
Views:	1
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	1124556

to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-10 13_10_12.png
Views:	1
Size:	804.8 KB
ID:	1124557

And in the end I can never uncrouch, because the capsule collides on the bottom in an unfixable way. I did modify the engine to find out what happens, but I am wondering if I am doing something obvious wrong.

Note:

This is not under actual VR, it is in the editor using a debug control scheme. The idea is that I can switch between VR and not VR.

Is there an easy solution for that?

Comment

Originally posted by skyflash View Post
            Hey, another question.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132757[/ATTACH]

to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132758[/ATTACH]

And in the end I can never uncrouch, because the capsule collides on the bottom in an unfixable way. I did modify the engine to find out what happens, but I am wondering if I am doing something obvious wrong.

Note:

This is not under actual VR, it is in the editor using a debug control scheme. The idea is that I can switch between VR and not VR.

I'm not sure about that, but I'm working on trying to create a VR/nonVR solution. I have a function to allow me to switch between VR/nonVR which sort of works.. Only problem is, the hand meshes aren't showing in the VRpawn for me. Trying to figure out.
            Are you interested in helping one another out?

Comment

Originally posted by Simple2012 View Post
              I'm not sure about that, but I'm working on trying to create a VR/nonVR solution. I have a function to allow me to switch between VR/nonVR which sort of works.. Only problem is, the hand meshes aren't showing in the VRpawn for me. Trying to figure out.
              Are you interested in helping one another out?
              Well, I am not really using most of this Plugin, so I may be of limited help. The only thing I am using really is the VRCharacter.

I have a totally different system for hand meshes and the 3rd person controller.

Comment

Hey, another question.

to this:

Note:

Well to be honest, I think that the crouching code is the only section of character movement code that I didn't overhaul for the VR chracter, since it makes no sense to "toggle" crouching on a VR character. The Simple Character would probably handle it fine due to how it works. That is messing up because the actual capsule location is different from where the crouch expects it to be.

I was actually planning on disabling the crouching system entirely for the VRCharacter instead of overhauling it to try and prevent confusion, but I don't think it would be that much effort to just clean it up instead.

I will alter the crouching functions today, but I will note to you that the best practice here would be two separate pawns, to avoid additional overhead and make control schemes easier. That being said I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't allow it for very special cases, so I will still change the crouching code.

Originally posted by Simple2012 View Post
                Weird, I thought I asked my question here already but can't find it so guess I'll do it again.
                The plugin seems very nice and I would like to use it for my project.

So to my question..
                Is there any license I should be aware of or may I do whatever I want with the plugin?
                Or what am I limited/restricted to? What can I not do?

The plugin has a License.txt file packaged with it, it is MIT, you pretty much are free to do whatever.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hey, another question.
                  Pushed a new commit today to the plugin / template repositories

Code:
                  Added crouch capability to the VR characters, suggest not using for when possessed with a HMD, but allows for
                  when possessed by a different controller to work.

SimpleVRcharacter always had working crouch, this fixes it for the VRCharacter.

Last possible interaction that needs testing is swimming.

*Edit* Also a reminder, I am still open to requests for additional features, I have been sitting on the core feature set for awhile now to check out stability.

I am not going to end up making the VR Boundries I was hoping to do as SteamVR removed their complex Room Scale Boundries functions .
                  Last edited by mordentral; 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thank you for continuing to absolutely kill it with this plugin, mordentral! Also thank you very much for splitting the plugin into two modules.

Would it be possible to add the option to only use the wall push if your head is overlapping something? It gets weird pushing yourself away while leaning over waist high objects. I've managed a workaround on my project (by basically turning off collision on the vr root when you stop moving so you can clip into things, and added a head collision sphere to turn it back on if you push into something), but native support for that functionality would be great too.

Thanks again!
                    Last edited by thejerenator; 03-10-2017, 01:08 PM. Reason: a word

Comment

Originally posted by thejerenator View Post
                      Thank you for continuing to absolutely kill it with this plugin, mordentral! Also thank you very much for splitting the plugin into two modules.

Would it be possible to add the option to only use the wall push if your head is overlapping something? It gets weird pushing yourself away while leaning over waist high objects. I've managed a workaround on my project (by basically turning off collision on the vr root when you stop moving so you can clip into things, and added a head collision sphere to turn it back on if you push into something), but native support for that functionality would be great too.

Thanks again!
                      For the "std" VrCharacter there is actually already kind of a way.

Code:
                      	UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "VRExpansionLibrary")
                      	bool bUseWalkingCollisionOverride;

UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadWrite, Category = "VRExpansionLibrary")
                      	TEnumAsByte<ECollisionChannel> WalkingCollisionOverride;
                      Setting bUseWalkingCollisionOveride on the root component and setting it to a channel that doesn't collide with your waist high object channel would work like what you are currently doing.
                      (Not sure that I have this documented currently).

An alternative is you can turn off player collision for those waist high objects / Have them be on a "table" collision channel that you turn on / off on the pawn if moving.

Its possible to run a separate check for the head but I have concerns about multiplayer, I would have to start sending the HMD position in the movement component replication as well.

I would like to get that better to be honest but feel like any "solution" is hacky without actual waist tracking. I had a solution 90% working with the VRCharacter with two separate collision components but that approach wouldn't work with keeping the Simple character "simple". It's my intention to re-visit it eventually, but until I think of something that would be good enough to feel like a default implementation I don't really want to commit to it (like climbing).

All of the distance based penetration and assuming lean systems that other devs have made don't actually work if the player isn't actually leaning, they just walk through the object then until they hit the limit, I don't see that as being good enough over no collision in the first place.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi Mordentral

currently in your plugin everything seems to be climb enabled, How can i dissable the climb option for a particular mesh,
                        Also when i import some walls into the scene it moves when the head is colliding.
                        Again the teleportation is not accurate for me and its without orientation. Please help

J

Comment

Originally posted by Jomax3d View Post
                          Hi Mordentral

currently in your plugin everything seems to be climb enabled, How can i dissable the climb option for a particular mesh,
                          Also when i import some walls into the scene it moves when the head is colliding.
                          Again the teleportation is not accurate for me and its without orientation. Please help

J
                          Create a filter for climbing in the "Getoverlappingactors" function.

I also don't know what you mean walls move when the head is colliding, the walls themselves move?

What do you mean without orientation on the teleport? Its not supposed to re-orient you when teleporting currently, you can feel free to add that yourself but for roomscale it is pretty disorienting.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello Mordentral,
                            When I grab a destructible mesh and destroy it while it is grabbed, it causes the game (and the editor) to crash. Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hello Mordentral,
                              I hope you remember me from the PM's!
                              I just had one question, how would i go on enabling the switch between VR, and None VR?
                              Thank you again for your work,
                              Cheers,
                              -b

Comment

Originally posted by SpanishMrG View Post
                                Hello Mordentral,
                                When I grab a destructible mesh and destroy it while it is grabbed, it causes the game (and the editor) to crash. Do you know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
                                Mmmm, I'll have to look into the how it handles the base component when destruction happens, the broken meshes are handled in the async scene, so I assume that the actors physx scene reference is completely removed (normal objects aren't on the async scene) when the destruction happens which might have issues with being currently constrained by a physx constraint. Regardless if you "drop" it right before "destroying" it will clean up any physics handles on the object and shouldn't crash. You don't have logs or error/callstack messages from when it happens do you? That could likely speed up seeing if it is fixable.

Originally posted by Bashar Hamdan View Post
                                Hello Mordentral,
                                I hope you remember me from the PM's!
                                I just had one question, how would i go on enabling the switch between VR, and None VR?
                                Thank you again for your work,
                                Cheers,
                                -b
                                For this plugin there are examples in the template, it freely switches between the two.

For something not using the plugin, its all about possession and unpossession of the proper pawns or if using a single pawn then turning off HMD lock on the camera and setting the controllers to either not be active or to be in a static location.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X