VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
    [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION] - Is there a way to get at the SteamVR user environment models, similar to how you do for the controller models? I would like to make it so that users can use the SteamVR environment in my VR audiobook player, since then people can do stuff like listen to Star Wars novels or whatever on the Death Star or LotR in a Hobbit house etc.
    I don't think they currently are accessible, they would probably fall under the "misc" render models directory but In the openvr version that UE4 is on at least that is still listed as "for future expansion".

You could check the directory your self and load the models manually of course, but the layout is done with a json file and multiple models. Its beyond what I would support with this considering how few (probably just you) would use it and how long it would take.
    Last edited by mordentral; 01-31-2017, 07:53 PM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by dkoding View Post
      Hello [MENTION=4285]mordentral[/MENTION], thanks for your plugin, it is very useful.
      I have a question: I have a bow and arrow that I want to manipulate using the VRGripInterface. I really want an event for OnSecondaryUsed - kind of like event OnSecondaryGrip/OnSecondaryGripRelease - any hope for getting this as well? That way I can both double grip with left and right grip button and can also use left and right trigger button to manipulate objects.
      I added secondary used and end secondary used interface events, they will be in the update tonight, I won't have time to revise the blueprints to allow for it (grips to drop secondary grip instead of trigger) tonight though.

Also its in the 4.15 alpha branch since that will be the main branch post official release (due to the header changes from 4.14 - 4.15).

Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
        I don't think they currently are accessible, they would probably fall under the "misc" render models directory but In the openvr version that UE4 is on at least that is still listed as "for future expansion".

You could check the directory your self and load the models manually of course, but the layout is done with a json file and multiple models. Its beyond what I would support with this considering how few (probably just you) would use it and how long it would take.
        Alright, probably not worth bothering with compared to just making my app support mods itself, really. I was mainly wondering if there was a nice way to do it through the OpenVR API I could implement myself, but it doesn't seem like it.

Thanks!
        Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Yeah, you can use a physics constraint on the mesh and constrain the meshes to the controller component. I don't know how much you want to do that considering the "wrist breaking" effect, I would normally suggest just denying gripping while interpenetrating. (you would also want to add the controllers to the additional late updates array that I added to the controllers so that they wouldn't lag behind when moving fast).

You could also "grip" the meshes using the controllers and skip the first grip during operations, one of the grip types (Interaction Physics with sweep) would just stop on the wall when trying to go through and wouldn't have all of the physics jittering and flattening to the wall that you would get otherwise.
          Thanks for the answer, is it possible to give some examples since i cant reproduce this my self . Maybe additional pawn with this these type of colliding hands in the template project ?
          Have a nice day !

Comment

Quick question - how would you handle leaning over stuff? As it is, when my 'feet' collide with an obstacle I can no longer move forward. But when I lean forward, my 'feet' will also move forward, as it is the head that is tracked. I was thinking of scaling the capsule up/down based on if you are moving using the controller and not, but that lets a player move up to a wall using controller movement, then walk right through it using the room space. Anyone have other suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by dkoding View Post
              Quick question - how would you handle leaning over stuff? As it is, when my 'feet' collide with an obstacle I can no longer move forward. But when I lean forward, my 'feet' will also move forward, as it is the head that is tracked. I was thinking of scaling the capsule up/down based on if you are moving using the controller and not, but that lets a player move up to a wall using controller movement, then walk right through it using the room space. Anyone have other suggestions?
              Most projects (plugin or not) right now are letting players overlap to a set distance into an object before blocking them, turning off player collision entirely on things like tables (simple and effective), or running a separate collision check on a boundry around the head and blocking based on that plus a distance from the "foot" position.

They can all be implemented fairly simply, the issue is that they will always be hacky and incomplete without proper foot tracking. For tall walls you want total blockage, and for short ones even if you allow for "play distance" where the head can move out away from the body for a bit the average player is likely to be just walking that extra distance, not just leaning, so the immersion isn't really any better unless the player strictly follows leaning over things.

I've been considering implementing the seperate head collision again (trialed it awhile ago) but due to the inherent imperfections of any system made currently it hasn't been high on my priority list, the easiest method (just not colliding with tables and the like) is actually almost the best solution currently.
              Last edited by mordentral; 02-01-2017, 10:02 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Uploaded a video going over the climbing example and a gripping change last night.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Has anyone had success in attaching the grip animation and mapping it to the trigger? I'm having some trouble making it work.

Comment

Im sadly just getting a 500kb archive when trying to download the plugin itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Oskar_OneReality View Post
                      Im sadly just getting a 500kb archive when trying to download the plugin itself.
                      Thats correct, the full size of > 1gb includes the file histories of previous versions (including when i had the binaries in it). Just the source itself should be around that size.

The template is around 64mb though.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Went in today and started making VRClimbingMovementMode a first class citizen in the plugin. Should resolve being able to step up onto objects and use the release velocity correctly.

I will have to do some testing tonight, but so far it looks really good.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Went in today and started making VRClimbingMovementMode a first class citizen in the plugin. Should resolve being able to step up onto objects and use the release velocity correctly.

I will have to do some testing tonight, but so far it looks really good.
                          I set up a climbing system using your plugin to give the player gravity so when you let go you fall. Your climbing system seems to be slightly more rounded out than the one I'm using. I'm not sure if there is anything useful in there for you but if there is feel free to use it.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...mbing-template

Comment

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
                            I set up a climbing system using your plugin to give the player gravity so when you let go you fall. Your climbing system seems to be slightly more rounded out than the one I'm using. I'm not sure if there is anything useful in there for you but if there is feel free to use it.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...mbing-template
                            Its ok, the climbing system is pretty much complete, I had decided that if I was going to do one that I would "over do" it. Good job getting yours up and running though, I know you were looking for one for awhile, I just wasn't willing to tack one onto the plugin, sorry about that.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan_eiger View Post
                              Has anyone had success in attaching the grip animation and mapping it to the trigger? I'm having some trouble making it work.
                              Tried to copy the code from the BP motion controller hand but realized the plugin has two separate hand meshes. I'll keep trying.

Comment

As far as I am concerned the climbing mode is functionally complete now, it is an actual Custom Movement Mode selectable from the character movement component and behaves pretty much exactly like what I wanted.

*4.15 alpha branch*

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X