VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hello there! I've just started going through the Intro and setup video on the tutorials page created by Ravan but have got an error message popping up saying that the OpenVRExpansionPlugin and VRExpansionPlugin modules are missing or built with a different engine version.

When I press the Yes button to rebuild them the progress bar goes to around 90%ish then I get another error message saying MyProject2 could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.

I've tried 4.23 and 4.22 but still get the same errors coming up.

Could someone please ELI5 because I haven't done much developing for the last 30-odd years so I'm more than a little rusty lol

I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio Community if that helps!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

You aren't removing channel collision on grip are you? Many people do that for one reason or another.
    Nope not at all, the only thing I'm doing after the drop actor is removing the object from my inventory, kind of puzzled by this one. I'll make a new grippable BP actor that doesn't go into my inventory so I can cut that execution off and see if it works then.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nostrildumbass View Post

Hi again, I haven't had much time to work on my project lately but now I do have my weapon gripping working pretty nicely. I'm seeing one strange behavior. I can pick up my weapon and drop it, but then I can't pick it up again. It looks like once dropped, the item isn't being detected in the 'get overlapping actors' node which I have set to filter by class on grippable skeletal mesh. Any idea what might be wrong there? I am definitely overlapping it when it's on the ground as I made the collision sphere visible (even stepping away and back in still doesn't get it picked up). The only extra step I'm taking after the Drop Actor function is removing the item that was in my hand from my player's inventory (just updating the appropriate array element and clearing it).
    You aren't removing channel collision on grip are you? Many people do that for one reason or another.

Leave a comment:

• replied

It follows the actual motion controller, my plugin doesn't have any way of knowing specifically what mesh you want to deal with. But that is why the PivotOverride exists, you can define any scene component as the controller pivot and all grips will be offset from there.

The plugin only has one grip type that is actually attachment, the rest are sweeps / physics grips.
    Hi again, I haven't had much time to work on my project lately but now I do have my weapon gripping working pretty nicely. I'm seeing one strange behavior. I can pick up my weapon and drop it, but then I can't pick it up again. It looks like once dropped, the item isn't being detected in the 'get overlapping actors' node which I have set to filter by class on grippable skeletal mesh. Any idea what might be wrong there? I am definitely overlapping it when it's on the ground as I made the collision sphere visible (even stepping away and back in still doesn't get it picked up). The only extra step I'm taking after the Drop Actor function is removing the item that was in my hand from my player's inventory (just updating the appropriate array element and clearing it).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Curs0 View Post
    I thought "rep grip settings" will also replicate grip scripts' AdvSecondarySettings, but it doesn't.
    what's the best way to replicate secondary grip influence (in a client auth situation) since you moved this setting to grip script?

thanks!

edit: even if secondary grip influence is set as default value in a grippable bp (e.g. secondary grip shouldn't influence pistols), this setting is ignored server-side when the client grabs it (host take into account client secondary grip, client dont).
    That said we need to change it at runtime before gripping and sync host as well as other clients (we have an options that let users disable secondary grip influence).
    Sounds like you have the bUseHighQualityRemoteSimulation turned to off? When not true it will only do light two handed calculations to save on cost on non local clients.

As for replicating on the clients settings, those settings can be stored in the player controller and passed up to the server to apply on spawn or on grip to the object. Generally it would be better to just store them in the PC and set them on gripped objects by retrieving those replicated values.

I didn't want to automatically replicate these in all guntools grip scripts as generally those specific settings are global and should be pulled on a client by client basis and applied instead.

*Edit* If you have specific settings that you want the client to be able to modify, this also lets you just store and pass on those specific ones to new grips / spawns. IE: OnGrip in the base class, get player controller of gripping character, set grip script settings. Or if you don't let weapons be swapped back and forth, just do it on spawn.
    Last edited by mordentral; 10-22-2019, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I thought "rep grip settings" will also replicate grip scripts' AdvSecondarySettings, but it doesn't.
    what's the best way to replicate secondary grip influence (in a client auth situation) since you moved this setting to grip script?

thanks!

edit: even if secondary grip influence is set as default value in a grippable bp (e.g. secondary grip shouldn't influence pistols), this setting is ignored server-side when the client grabs it (host take into account client secondary grip, client dont).
    That said we need to change it at runtime before gripping and sync host as well as other clients (we have an options that let users disable secondary grip influence).
    Last edited by Curs0; 10-22-2019, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Hmmm thank you, I'll look into the bone stretching solution. I'm only a few months fresh to UE and game development overall so that'll be something new to learn. I definitely want that approach to accommodate for longer/shorter arms just as you say.

Before I started using your great plugin (the main thing I wanted it for was for sort out of the box roomscale, but I decided it would be best to just make more use of other stuff it offers), I was just attaching my weapons to my hand's socket, and it would stay there regardless of stretching beyond the skeleton's default limit until I decided to detach it when releasing my grip, so I take it the slot gripping isn't attaching to sockets in the same way? I'm genuinely curious on what's handled differently there.
    It follows the actual motion controller, my plugin doesn't have any way of knowing specifically what mesh you want to deal with. But that is why the PivotOverride exists, you can define any scene component as the controller pivot and all grips will be offset from there.

The plugin only has one grip type that is actually attachment, the rest are sweeps / physics grips.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Slot grips define where relative to the object that you want the controller at (ie: it positions the object relative to the controller), it doesn't force the object to sit anywhere on your body mesh (it doesn't even have a way to know anything about your body mesh). You can SetPivotComponent on the controller to a scene component that you place on a socket on your mesh though and it will do that, generally though your approach is less ideal than allow bones to stretch or calibrating the body so that they can't out reach the full body avatar that you made, otherwise you will get a lot of annoyed players with below or above average size.

As for the double BonetoGrip, its a typo in the grip component node, just fixed it. That node is the least used of all as generally you should be using GripObjectByInterface or GripObject instead. Also you shouldn't be gripping a component primarily unless you have a very specific reason, most grips should be on actors, and on interfaced actors for that matter.
    Hmmm thank you, I'll look into the bone stretching solution. I'm only a few months fresh to UE and game development overall so that'll be something new to learn. I definitely want that approach to accommodate for longer/shorter arms just as you say.

Before I started using your great plugin (the main thing I wanted it for was for sort out of the box roomscale, but I decided it would be best to just make more use of other stuff it offers), I was just attaching my weapons to my hand's socket, and it would stay there regardless of stretching beyond the skeleton's default limit until I decided to detach it when releasing my grip, so I take it the slot gripping isn't attaching to sockets in the same way? I'm genuinely curious on what's handled differently there.

Leave a comment:

• replied

I finally have some basic weapon gripping working (I struggled a little bit even with the guides you so kindly provided, but I did get there). The problem I'm having now is if I'm holding a weapon and I stretch my hand out as far as I can, the gun is "floating" past my UE mannequin's hands. I'm under the impression that using slot grips should be preventing that and I might just be missing something, correct? I've set up a VRGripP1 and VRGripS1 on my weapon skeleton. Why are there two "Optional Bone to Grip Name" inputs on the Grip Component function? The interact node in my screenshot is just an interface call I'm using to add the gripped item to my inventory and store it as the currently equipped item (goes back and breaks a loop of overlapping actors once the closest one is grabbed).

By the way, I intend to become a $10 Patreon when the paycheck hits
    Slot grips define where relative to the object that you want the controller at (ie: it positions the object relative to the controller), it doesn't force the object to sit anywhere on your body mesh (it doesn't even have a way to know anything about your body mesh). You can SetPivotComponent on the controller to a scene component that you place on a socket on your mesh though and it will do that, generally though your approach is less ideal than allow bones to stretch or calibrating the body so that they can't out reach the full body avatar that you made, otherwise you will get a lot of annoyed players with below or above average size.

As for the double BonetoGrip, its a typo in the grip component node, just fixed it. That node is the least used of all as generally you should be using GripObjectByInterface or GripObject instead. Also you shouldn't be gripping a component primarily unless you have a very specific reason, most grips should be on actors, and on interfaced actors for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• replied

www.vreue4.com under the documentation tab has tutorial videos now, he is WIP on them so they are fairly new (and only two so far). I understand that a lot of users prefer video over text based but that isn't exactly my forte.
    I finally have some basic weapon gripping working (I struggled a little bit even with the guides you so kindly provided, but I did get there). The problem I'm having now is if I'm holding a weapon and I stretch my hand out as far as I can, the gun is "floating" past my UE mannequin's hands. I'm under the impression that using slot grips should be preventing that and I might just be missing something, correct? I've set up a VRGripP1 and VRGripS1 on my weapon skeleton. Why are there two "Optional Bone to Grip Name" inputs on the Grip Component function? The interact node in my screenshot is just an interface call I'm using to add the gripped item to my inventory and store it as the currently equipped item (goes back and breaks a loop of overlapping actors once the closest one is grabbed).

By the way, I intend to become a $10 Patreon when the paycheck hits
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied

If using the template there are some things that don't play perfectly with the quest (namely some of the more intensive physics assets like the car). You'll have to profile though to really know what it going on.

I would follow the Android Device Monitor instructions in this Oculus article to get some info back from the device.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/de...for-mobile-vr/

You can feel free to PM me the crash information afterwards if it is plugin related. I have quite a few plugin users on Quest without issues currently so it would either be something esoteric or an actual problem with an implementation you specifically have.
    Thanks, glad to hear about the other developers. I realized the plugin was not at the latest release so that couldn't help. Thanks for the fast response!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Ham1ton View Post
    I've been developing on the Oculus Quest and seem to be getting random crashes without any indication as to what it could be. I've setup several different tests on both Unreal 4.22 and 4.23 but I still get random crashes that send the player back to the Oculus dashboard. I've also setup the same tests without the VRE plugin and things are very stable.I know you are not directly developing for the Android platforms but would you have any idea as to what it could be or what I could try out to prevent crashing?
    If using the template there are some things that don't play perfectly with the quest (namely some of the more intensive physics assets like the car). You'll have to profile though to really know what it going on.

I would follow the Android Device Monitor instructions in this Oculus article to get some info back from the device.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/de...for-mobile-vr/

You can feel free to PM me the crash information afterwards if it is plugin related. I have quite a few plugin users on Quest without issues currently so it would either be something esoteric or an actual problem with an implementation you specifically have.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been developing on the Oculus Quest and seem to be getting random crashes without any indication as to what it could be. I've setup several different tests on both Unreal 4.22 and 4.23 but I still get random crashes that send the player back to the Oculus dashboard. I've also setup the same tests without the VRE plugin and things are very stable.I know you are not directly developing for the Android platforms but would you have any idea as to what it could be or what I could try out to prevent crashing?

Leave a comment:

• replied

Ah man. Thank you for sharing that video and the info on the build specific downloads. I searched all around for something like this and couldn't find it. I'm going to suggest that fellow that he rename the video from VREP to VR Expansion Plugin (or at least add that to the name) to help others find it more easily. I intend to support you shortly! I did get the VR character working nicely with locomotion and a little bit of animation including crouching and proning (not sure about the replication working yet).
    www.vreue4.com under the documentation tab has tutorial videos now, he is WIP on them so they are fairly new (and only two so far). I understand that a lot of users prefer video over text based but that isn't exactly my forte.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Grippable actor is just for that case yes, however if you are going to be multiplayer at some point you may want to have two separate bases, one based on skeletal mesh and one based on static, as the engines replication does not actually handle some of the mesh stuff when just adding the components to a base actor instead of using the built actor for each of them.

In singleplayer it wouldn't really matter ever.

You might want to check out the tutorial video that a community member made off of my "basic gripping" text overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3VJ5PqSYQ

Also if you want a specific version of the engine on one of the repositories, you can go to downloads and switch to branches and download the locked version of your specific engine version: https://bitbucket.org/mordentral/vre.../?tab=branches

Keep in mind as well that the OnGrip event is going to fire on the root in that case, component gripping has precedence as it lets you grip child components in an actor. The parent actor would be receiving OnChildGripped with that setup. There is generally no reason to ever have both the root and the actor itself be a grippable class. You would generally have the root be normal, and then sub components can be additionally grippable over it.
    Ah man. Thank you for sharing that video and the info on the build specific downloads. I searched all around for something like this and couldn't find it. I'm going to suggest that fellow that he rename the video from VREP to VR Expansion Plugin (or at least add that to the name) to help others find it more easily. I intend to support you shortly! I did get the VR character working nicely with locomotion and a little bit of animation including crouching and proning (not sure about the replication working yet).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X