Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wrote an article on some VR development quality of life stuff. Let me know if anyone wants anything else documented. It's nice to have on hand. https://lifeartstudios.net/tips-and-...ife-tips-pt-1/
    Consider supporting me on patreon

    Weapon Master and VRE Merge TUT

    Life Art Studios | Discord | End of Days - VR Zombie Survival

    Comment


      Originally posted by dkoding View Post
      Hi mordentral I have a question regarding overriding the holding hand's effect on the gripped object, more specifically the objects rotation.

      I grip a bow in my left hand, and the bow string/arrow with the right. Depending on where the right hand is while gripping the string, I want to rotate the bow accordingly.
      So I do a setActorRotation on it directly. However, the bow-gripping hand overrides my setActorRotation and tries to align the bow back to the gripping hand's rotation - creating wild jittering - as two processes fight between them to set the bow's rotation. How can I alleviate this behavior?
      When gripped the grip functions purpose is to maintain the given grip transform on tick, you have several options for custom rotations.

      #1. Set the AdditionTransform rotation to add rotation to the grip
      #2. Set the GripRelativeTransform to the rotation that you want directly relative to the hand
      #3. Use grip mode "Custom" and run the positioning logic yourself

      #4 (best overall). Create a custom grip script where you override the GetWorldTransform function and modify the rotation to whatever you want, this is the point of the grip scripts, to allow you to inject whatever custom logic you want in between the actual grip logic.

      (bit dated but still valid GS tutorial): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj93T1Zwo5M

      I'll note however that just handling this with the secondary attachment system should "just work" and is typically how people do bows with the plugin, using the back hand as the secondary attachment for the front hand.
      Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
      Quick question.. hope things are going well on your end..

      What do you think would be the best way to go about disabling the trigger from being able to activate the Use event on a held object if a button/bool is pressed on the controller?
      and instead, perform another grab?

      Sorry if this was worded weirdly, let me know if I should rexolain better in more depth what I'm trying to achieve.
      Change the BP logic to precheck and either branch to OnUse or Check for a grip depending on your modifier button, all of that logic is there in the template for you.
      Originally posted by arzcakes View Post
      Hi all,

      I am working away on my project, its coming on nicely.

      I'm hoping to find some 'newby talk' help.

      It might seem really simple (hopefully it is. But I'm having a nightmare changing key bindings.

      when i pick my pistol up, it shoots on pickup. I would like to grip and drop using the grip button on vive.

      When i change it in settings, the whole grip fails.

      Please can someone give me a self palm to forehead moment.

      Also, weapon sounds don't play in vr standalone testing. Not gug into this one yet.

      Thanks all.
      The template has gameplay tags setup for testing input schemes, people have been using them in their final projects (though there are other ways of going about it).
      If you notice the template gun has the grip button set to trigger, but the drop button set to side grip, then use is set to trigger, so you can use it while holding it but drop with the alternate grip button.

      In 4.26 i'm overhauling the gameplay tag names to match the new input event names of PrimaryGrip, SecondaryGrip and Use though. Since the engines input system changed so much.




      Consider supporting me on patreon

      My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

      Comment


        Thanks for the explanation on that.

        Running into a an issue though, whenever a melee weapon is let go of with both hands, tick turns off.. I deleted all the set ticks on the melee base actor, yet tick always turns off, and turning it on afterwards does nothing..

        Is there something in the grip script causing this? or is this something strange on my end?

        Thanks again

        Comment


          mordentral Thanks for your reply. Maybe add a bow to the template? Maybe I am overthinking this.

          Comment


            mordentral Thanks for the reply.

            You are a STAR!

            Comment


              Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
              Thanks for the explanation on that.

              Running into a an issue though, whenever a melee weapon is let go of with both hands, tick turns off.. I deleted all the set ticks on the melee base actor, yet tick always turns off, and turning it on afterwards does nothing..

              Is there something in the grip script causing this? or is this something strange on my end?

              Thanks again
              No there is nothing in the grip script itself that changes its parents ticking. All of the tick settings are in the melee base on penetration or grip adjustment.


              Consider supporting me on patreon

              My Open source tools and plugins
              Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

              Comment


                Hmmm.. .must have been a corruption then...

                Printing the tick works until the object is let go of, then the print stops.. and i had removed all set ticks from the class..

                I'll revert the file to and older and see what happens..

                Really strange bug to me

                Comment


                  I wanted to make a note in here, as of the end of the current patreon billing cycle I am taking the rewards off of it and putting the private support discord public.
                  Feel like its time, now that the core users in there are competent and the plugin is more stable than before, the discord reward was a gate on my time so that I could still have spare time to work on things, however the community in there has been helping each other for awhile now so I think that opening it up more will let people work together better.

                  Should also take some of the micro management away from me checking 7 different messaging systems so I can get more done on the programming side.


                  Consider supporting me on patreon

                  My Open source tools and plugins
                  Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

                  Comment


                    Hey I just started testing out the plugin, awesome work! Thank you so much for this great starting point. Wanted to report a bug tho, the first thing I tried in the example level was to grab the gun in one hand and use the other hand to move in Navigate mode while shooting. Currently it freaks out and starts zig-zagging, any idea why?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by sggvideo View Post
                      Hey I just started testing out the plugin, awesome work! Thank you so much for this great starting point. Wanted to report a bug tho, the first thing I tried in the example level was to grab the gun in one hand and use the other hand to move in Navigate mode while shooting. Currently it freaks out and starts zig-zagging, any idea why?
                      The bullets are set to still collide with the gun, if you turn that off it won't care. I keep them colliding as it helps to stress test some things from time to time. You wouldn't really use large spherical projectiles anyway on a game gun usually.


                      Consider supporting me on patreon

                      My Open source tools and plugins
                      Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

                      Comment


                        So far this plugin looks so powerful. I’ve yet to dive into it deep yet but I do have a quick question. Should the hand animations work out of the box with the example level? When I open up that project and mess around in the level everything works perfectly except I get no hand animations. I’m on the Rift and running UE4 4.25

                        Sorry if this is a dumb question. I read through most of the documentation and didn’t notice an obvious answer so I came here. Thanks for all the hard work that’s gone into this!

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jamisonm17 View Post
                          So far this plugin looks so powerful. I’ve yet to dive into it deep yet but I do have a quick question. Should the hand animations work out of the box with the example level? When I open up that project and mess around in the level everything works perfectly except I get no hand animations. I’m on the Rift and running UE4 4.25

                          Sorry if this is a dumb question. I read through most of the documentation and didn’t notice an obvious answer so I came here. Thanks for all the hard work that’s gone into this!
                          No, I don't use any of oculus's specific stuff, you can port it in at will. Since oculus did a good job of handling an interface for it themselves there was no need for me to re-do the effort.

                          Going into OpenXR when it is stable I will be supporting hand tracking through the OpenXR interface though so that it is cross platform and doesn't require extra effort. My open input module for the steamvr hand tracking will be deprecated and everything will be unified in the main plugin itself under openXR.


                          Consider supporting me on patreon

                          My Open source tools and plugins
                          Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                            No, I don't use any of oculus's specific stuff, you can port it in at will. Since oculus did a good job of handling an interface for it themselves there was no need for me to re-do the effort.

                            Going into OpenXR when it is stable I will be supporting hand tracking through the OpenXR interface though so that it is cross platform and doesn't require extra effort. My open input module for the steamvr hand tracking will be deprecated and everything will be unified in the main plugin itself under openXR.
                            What exactly is it that I need to port in? Is it just the animations that don’t work with the Oculus or would you recommend not learning from the example level if I’m developing for Oculus?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by jamisonm17 View Post

                              What exactly is it that I need to port in? Is it just the animations that don’t work with the Oculus or would you recommend not learning from the example level if I’m developing for Oculus?
                              I'm not entirely sure what animations you are talking about, I thought you were talking about the hand on controller animations or hand tracking streaming?

                              If its the hand streaming that isn't a part of the core engine until 4.26 and is on a seperate oculus branch.


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                Hi,
                                i have a question regarding replicated movement of an object with a custom grip script on it.

                                So i created a gun-slide (ParentClass: GrippableStaticMeshComponent) using the VRGrip interface with GripType set to CustomGrip. For that custom grip i implemented movement constraints and some other stuff. The slide itself is being added to the parent weapon as a child component.

                                For the slide movement there are two options:

                                1. The slide is manipulated manually by gripping it. This works as expected and slide movement is also being replicated to other clients.

                                2. The slide is moved through gun logic, namely shooting the gun. For this i am using SetRelativeLocation on the slide component. Now when in single player, this SetRelativeLocation works without problems. The slide moves forwards and backwards as my logic dictates it to do. However when trying to replicate that movement the SetRelativeLocation does not move the slide component at all.

                                My current approach to replicate the slide movement mimics what the template's GunBase-BP is doing in FireGun -> FireGunServer -> FireGunLocal. So i'm having a call to the server who then again does a Multicast to all other clients which again fires a function "MoveSlideLocal". (Like stated already the code inside MoveSlideLocal works fine in singleplayer) I can tell that the RPC arrives at the clients, because if i add some other stuff to the "MoveSlideLocal" code - e.g. a particle spawn - then i see that happen on all clients. However the SetRelativeLocation node has no effect at all.

                                So my question is, whether there is something in the GrippableStaticMeshComponent / VRGrip that i need to take into consideration when trying to replicate non-gripped movements. I also found some other general threads from users having problems using replication with regard to SetRelativeLocation, however those were old and i wasn't able to draw any conclusions from those.

                                Cheers for any help on this!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X