No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally I store player state variables in the PlayerController where the input handling is done, but I see how in the case of VRE, the input handling is done by separate characters (one for keyboard/mouse). Would you recommend I store game state variables (i.e. health) in either the player controller or within the vive pawn character?
    Last edited by tex-murph; 10-20-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

I don't have any other suggestions for you, that is literally the fix. I don't know if you modified something somewhere or if you are using another subclass of them with it unhidden.
      Hi, I'm responding to this earlier thread with Stanzzz about running into difficulty turning off visibility for the hand colliders.
      I looked into this further, and it seems something is indeed overriding the visibility settings. Any component, such as the hand, cannot be hidden either.
      I tested in a new unmodified project, and as you said, it takes seconds to disable the visibility of any of the components.

However, in terms of our project, I am baffled as to what is the cause of our issue. Visibility is fully off for all components in both the Vive character and the FPS character. Yet full visibility persists.
      I did a check in Windows Explorer for any hidden files, but all I came across were some redirectors, which I easily fixed in UE using Fix Up Redirectors.
      So I don't really see any source for what could be the cause of this, and on a bigger scale, is concerning me that this could be leading to other issues down the line.
      (For example, when starting the game, sometimes the hands start farther away on the floor, instead of in front of the player, and am wondering if this glitchy-ness is related to the same issue)

Any advice on looking for any potential hidden duplicates or ways the blueprint behavior could get overwritten would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tex-murph View Post
        Normally I store player state variables in the PlayerController where the input handling is done, but I see how in the case of VRE, the input handling is done by separate characters (one for keyboard/mouse). Would you recommend I store game state variables (i.e. health) in either the player controller or within the vive pawn character?
        Entirely depends on your game design, considering how you are directly working with tracked devices though, and they are generally either directly inside of the pawn or attached too it. Its cleaner in more cases to handle the input there in VR than in the PC. Variable storage is more of a "where and when" you want access to it kind of thing, health on a PC would include the assumption that it would carry over across multiple bodies, also in the player controller it won't exist for other players if you are doing multiplayer so you would have to have a duplicate health value that is replicated instead of just using the same one for instance.

Its common to have input and variables in either PC or char, or spread across both, your application should dictate which combination you should be using.
        Originally posted by tex-murph View Post

Hi, I'm responding to this earlier thread with Stanzzz about running into difficulty turning off visibility for the hand colliders.
        I looked into this further, and it seems something is indeed overriding the visibility settings. Any component, such as the hand, cannot be hidden either.
        I tested in a new unmodified project, and as you said, it takes seconds to disable the visibility of any of the components.

However, in terms of our project, I am baffled as to what is the cause of our issue. Visibility is fully off for all components in both the Vive character and the FPS character. Yet full visibility persists.
        I did a check in Windows Explorer for any hidden files, but all I came across were some redirectors, which I easily fixed in UE using Fix Up Redirectors.
        So I don't really see any source for what could be the cause of this, and on a bigger scale, is concerning me that this could be leading to other issues down the line.
        (For example, when starting the game, sometimes the hands start farther away on the floor, instead of in front of the player, and am wondering if this glitchy-ness is related to the same issue)

Any advice on looking for any potential hidden duplicates or ways the blueprint behavior could get overwritten would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
        Hands starting farther away is either the tracking not having kicked in yet so they are stuck at zero, or you are using a re-zero'd base with 4.25 and the steamvr module which is bugged currently.

As for the grip sphere visibility, literally just loading up the editor, setting one of them to IsHidden in the blueprint editor and starting in VR works fine for me.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I have been working around with the raycast in the project, where we can pull a object towards you if you have the raycast pointed at it and clicking the back trigger. Is there a way to turn off the coloring of the raycast and still have it work? What my goal is with the raycast is to have it casting without color then when it hits a objects that I can interact with, it will have a highlighted glow to it, so I know which object it interactedable.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanzzz1323 View Post
            I have been working around with the raycast in the project, where we can pull a object towards you if you have the raycast pointed at it and clicking the back trigger. Is there a way to turn off the coloring of the raycast and still have it work? What my goal is with the raycast is to have it casting without color then when it hits a objects that I can interact with, it will have a highlighted glow to it, so I know which object it interactedable.
            That is just the laser beam for widget interaction, it made the most sense to throw on a brief targeting concept to that.

Just use your own trace and highlight and don't rely on the laser beam. You can cut the code from the BP_TeleportController and move it to your own control component or function somewhere. All of the actual "when/how" to do stuff for everything in the plugin / example is public facing and open to changing by the user.

I try not to bake control logic into anything when i can help it.
            Last edited by mordentral; 10-21-2020, 02:35 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

"Event on used" works inside grippable static mesh actor but not with grippable static mesh component. Did I forget something?
              - I added VRGrip Interface under Interfaces
              - I added the gameplay tag
              - Cant use "grippable static mesh actor" because parent is "pool actor" from a plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Queax View Post
                "Event on used" works inside grippable static mesh actor but not with grippable static mesh component. Did I forget something?
                - I added VRGrip Interface under Interfaces
                - I added the gameplay tag
                - Cant use "grippable static mesh actor" because parent is "pool actor" from a plugin
                That plugin must be implemented *strangely* if it needs an entire base actor class to pool with, you should easily be able to create your own pool system, they are very simple, its just spawning as needed (need more than current pooled count) and not deleting but deactivating and re-using.

Regardless, you are likely dropping it, default settings will drop on trigger release which will override the use command.

Set drop on grip or something else so that it doesn't try to drop it instead of use it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello,

Whenever i migrate the vive character to a new project (collisions and all game settings working correctly) the grab sphere gets spawned at the wrist rather than the physical root (which is in correct position) when using physical grasping hands. Likewise when i create a child of the existing grasping hands (no edits). The physics root is in the correct position and when spawning just grasping hands it is in the palm. Any suggestions? Kind Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanielbbb View Post
                    Hello,

Whenever i migrate the vive character to a new project (collisions and all game settings working correctly) the grab sphere gets spawned at the wrist rather than the physical root (which is in correct position) when using physical grasping hands. Likewise when i create a child of the existing grasping hands (no edits). The physics root is in the correct position and when spawning just grasping hands it is in the palm. Any suggestions? Kind Regards
                    Not sure, sounds like a linking issue where its not going back to the character correctly? BP migration is a bit finicky, did you open up the grasping hands and re-compile them and fixup any redirects?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Not sure, sounds like a linking issue where its not going back to the character correctly? BP migration is a bit finicky, did you open up the grasping hands and re-compile them and fixup any redirects?
                      I apologise, I did not realise a socket was determining the location, I thought it was the grab sphere on the vive pawn character. I had not set the socket on my replacement skeletal mesh.

Comment

Hi everyone !
                        I try to have my motion controller have physics collision with walls to prevent it from passing through them but I don't find any tickbox or solution to do that, someone has a solution ?
                        Thank you by advance for your help !

Comment

Originally posted by Galy View Post
                          Hi everyone !
                          I try to have my motion controller have physics collision with walls to prevent it from passing through them but I don't find any tickbox or solution to do that, someone has a solution ?
                          Thank you by advance for your help !
                          You'll have to use a mesh with collision then and enable it to block channels. Then you need to decide if you want to constrain the controller mesh to something to have it physically blocked, or if you want to manually sweep check it against geometry.

Motion controllers themselves have no collidable body, they are primitive components with no primitive.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi mordentral I have a question regarding overriding the holding hand's effect on the gripped object, more specifically the objects rotation.

I grip a bow in my left hand, and the bow string/arrow with the right. Depending on where the right hand is while gripping the string, I want to rotate the bow accordingly.
                            So I do a setActorRotation on it directly. However, the bow-gripping hand overrides my setActorRotation and tries to align the bow back to the gripping hand's rotation - creating wild jittering - as two processes fight between them to set the bow's rotation. How can I alleviate this behavior?

Comment

Quick question.. hope things are going well on your end..

What do you think would be the best way to go about disabling the trigger from being able to activate the Use event on a held object if a button/bool is pressed on the controller?
                              and instead, perform another grab?

Sorry if this was worded weirdly, let me know if I should rexolain better in more depth what I'm trying to achieve.

Comment

Hi all,

I am working away on my project, its coming on nicely.

I'm hoping to find some 'newby talk' help.

It might seem really simple (hopefully it is. But I'm having a nightmare changing key bindings.

when i pick my pistol up, it shoots on pickup. I would like to grip and drop using the grip button on vive.

When i change it in settings, the whole grip fails.

Please can someone give me a self palm to forehead moment.

Also, weapon sounds don't play in vr standalone testing. Not gug into this one yet.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                                X