VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

It has the WeldedBoneDrive embedded in it, which is very useful for physical meshes.

Also some future improvements possibly, I have some notes sitting around somewhere.
    What's the WeldedBoneDrive function used for? Is it to drive angular constraints or something else

Comment

Currently experiencing a bug after replacing our character with the grip mesh instead of the regular.. anytime the physics enabled skeletal mesh bumps into another of the same, a warning pops up saying that "to addImpulse, root 0 must be set to simulate physics."
      Something simliar. I'll get a screenshot next time..

This a known issue or is this likely on my end? It's not really breaking anything, just a bit annoying..
      Only started popping up once i set the default char mesh to be grippable..

Thanks again for any help

Last edited by thelazylion; 09-09-2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

What's the WeldedBoneDrive function used for? Is it to drive angular constraints or something else
        It lets you weld shapes for bones together in a parent bone, and then drive them to animate to match the bone they originally targeted. This keeps joints rock solid on a simulating mesh but still deforms the collision to match the current animation.
        Currently experiencing a bug after replacing our character with the grip mesh instead of the regular.. anytime the physics enabled skeletal mesh bumps into another of the same, a warning pops up saying that "to addImpulse, root 0 must be set to simulate physics."
        Something simliar. I'll get a screenshot next time..

This a known issue or is this likely on my end? It's not really breaking anything, just a bit annoying..
        Only started popping up once i set the default char mesh to be grippable..

Thanks again for any help
        Sounds like you aren't disabling the movement component when the mesh is simulating and its trying to apply force from the capsules movements. Regardless, no there isn't anything special there, but component replacements do cause some minor inconveniences sometimes.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

If setup like the one in the template, if you turn on the replicate initial data bool, it should work fine, regardless of if it is a dedicated server or not. You just have to load balance the max data variable around what your project uses for bandwidth settings.
          thx you, it working nice. I thinking about widget replication from render to texture, try to create this

Comment

Originally posted by x_Pops_x View Post

thx you, it working nice. I thinking about widget replication from render to texture, try to create this
            That would be the worst way of going about widget replication, you would be far more network efficient by syncing states than by doing that.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello all, I am trying to figure out the best way to add an impulse to the VR character as a way of locomotion, for example as a thruster on the controller for flight or a quick dash .. Sorry if this question has already been asked. I've tried using impulse and force with all the components in the BP but figured I'd ask here. Edit: just to point out I haven't really been able to get any impulse at all.

Thanks in advance.
              Last edited by omfgdude2; 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omfgdude2 View Post
                Hello all, I am trying to figure out the best way to add an impulse to the VR character as a way of locomotion, for example as a thruster on the controller for flight or a quick dash .. Sorry if this question has already been asked. I've tried using impulse and force with all the components in the BP but figured I'd ask here. Edit: just to point out I haven't really been able to get any impulse at all.

Thanks in advance.
                The character movement components impulse and launch nodes should work just fine, but you have to break the threshold to enter into flying mode in order to take off unless you manually launch or enter flying mode.

Its the same as the normal engine character.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi,

Thanks a lot Mordentral for providing this great plugin, you helped me a lot !

I'm now in a struggle regarding physics over network. I want 2 players having fun with a ball without gripping it (ie. Volley style), but while the ball reaction is great on hosting client side, even after improvements on replication, the ball reaction when the remote client player hit it is still quite random, or at least inaccurate. Physics computed server side is usually the recommended way to go, but I think the network lag renders the experience inaccurate for the remote player, so I was wondering if there is a way to make it remote computed ?

It's probably more an engine subject than VR (see this message), but I wanted to know if you VR people, had to deal with this problem already, and how ?

Thank you very much for reading, and for any help !

Comment

Thanks again mordentral One more question I have.. working out some melee stuff, for the dagger, on event tick I am determining the speed of the dagger using an added scene component, if the dagger is moving fast enough i set a bool to true.. as long as that bool is true, when the static mesh component hits another actor, i apply damage and make some effects. Now for some reason, this functionality works great at the start, but after some stabs and slices it will still stab but it stops detecting the component hit events. Any ideas why?
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	daggerBP.png Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	1811314

Comment

Thanks again mordentral One more question I have.. working out some melee stuff, for the dagger, on event tick I am determining the speed of the dagger using an added scene component, if the dagger is moving fast enough i set a bool to true.. as long as that bool is true, when the static mesh component hits another actor, i apply damage and make some effects. Now for some reason, this functionality works great at the start, but after some stabs and slices it will still stab but it stops detecting the component hit events. Any ideas why?
                      Click image for larger version Name:	daggerBP.png Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	1811314
                      No immediate ideas as that could be caused by several things (and the stab uses the event hit so its still firing), however I use the impulse of the hit instead of a tracked velocity as the velocity was causing issues with low framerates when people hit reprojection.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

No immediate ideas as that could be caused by several things (and the stab uses the event hit so its still firing), however I use the impulse of the hit instead of a tracked velocity as the velocity was causing issues with low framerates when people hit reprojection.
                        Thanks, I wanted to point out as I just noticed, when the hit even seems to be broken, if i hold the secondary grip, (vive grip in this case) then the events trigger again. Not sure what that means exactly, I didnt change anything on the vive pawn from the example project yet.. just enabled grasping hands.

Comment

Thanks, I wanted to point out as I just noticed, when the hit even seems to be broken, if i hold the secondary grip, (vive grip in this case) then the events trigger again. Not sure what that means exactly, I didnt change anything on the vive pawn from the example project yet.. just enabled grasping hands.
                          Sounds like confirmation bias, an additional input that isn't mapped to the object so can't effect it wouldn't have any direct change.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Sounds like confirmation bias, an additional input that isn't mapped to the object so can't effect it wouldn't have any direct change.
                            would it make more sense to try and use the custom event 'd' in melee base to apply damage on hit? I am not sure where the best place to shim it in would be. I've sort of tracked the issue down to the repositioning hands bool, which sets the tick enabled or disabled for the actor since the speed check relies on the tick being enabled, I suppose it wouldn't be ideal to remove and have the actor always ticking... thanks again for your help.

Comment

Quick question, is there a way to speed up grasping hands location for clients?

They seem to sync pretty well when gripping something, i guess since physics are turned off and attached to a specific object..

However when empty handed, clients see the hands trail behind the vr character by a second or so. Making the character run around like sonic, is there something I'm missing? It looks fine on the host/server vr player.

Comment

would it make more sense to try and use the custom event 'd' in melee base to apply damage on hit? I am not sure where the best place to shim it in would be. I've sort of tracked the issue down to the repositioning hands bool, which sets the tick enabled or disabled for the actor since the speed check relies on the tick being enabled, I suppose it wouldn't be ideal to remove and have the actor always ticking... thanks again for your help.
                                Use a timer for that anyway yes, start it on grip and end it on release.
                                Quick question, is there a way to speed up grasping hands location for clients?

They seem to sync pretty well when gripping something, i guess since physics are turned off and attached to a specific object..

However when empty handed, clients see the hands trail behind the vr character by a second or so. Making the character run around like sonic, is there something I'm missing? It looks fine on the host/server vr player.
                                Sounds like you have movement replication enabled on them? Turn that off.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X