Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleepykid View Post

So I tried to implement this with a physics constraint and got this:

It works pretty great when you grab on, but it's snapping on wrong. What I want to do is snap on using the current rotation of the hand, but the position of the attach point. At the moment the snapped rotation is based on the attach point which isn't what I want. I was getting confused with the transforms in grasping hand and how to use them to get the functionality that I want.

My (slightly) edited InitializeAndAttach function in GraspingHand: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/gh80_uu-/

Thanks again for the plugin, it's been so helpful with our development, and thanks for being so helpful in these forums.
    When you set the meshes world transform in that attach logic, don't set the rotation, just set the location to match, it will retain its current orientation then.

You could also implement GetClosestSocketInRange for a subclass of the lever and setup passing out an aligned transform.

*Edit* I made an example of the second method in the new BPSnippets section of the plugins website:
    https://vreue4.com/bp-snippets?secti...pping-snippets

See the "Snap to location but keep rotation" snippet in the gripping snippets section. You could run some checks to force a general alignment as well if you wanted too.

Grippables in general could call the parent implementation for the socket loc, but levers/sliders specifically don't implement that (if you are using a physics constrained object then call the parent implementation for the socket transform part and just do the lower part of the graph).
    Last edited by mordentral; 09-01-2020, 09:56 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi,
      I'm trying to use my own knife like default one but even though all the settings are the same, mine won't stab. I tried to change the stab constraints and so on but not much changed.
      I'm new to blueprint and coding stuff. I'm still trying to figure out what does what in the plugin

here is a video:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	1807265

Comment

Originally posted by Bulut- View Post
        Hi,
        I'm trying to use my own knife like default one but even though all the settings are the same, mine won't stab. I tried to change the stab constraints and so on but not much changed.
        I'm new to blueprint and coding stuff. I'm still trying to figure out what does what in the plugin
        Well for one your collision on that knife is waaaaay too thin, its tunneling right through the object. For two once you have that corrected you need to check your collision settings on it, i can't tell much from the SS because you didn't show the grip script settings.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Well for one your collision on that knife is waaaaay too thin, its tunneling right through the object. For two once you have that corrected you need to check your collision settings on it, i can't tell much from the SS because you didn't show the grip script settings.
          Thank you!! I fixed it. First I made the collision thicker as you suggested but that alone didnt fix the clipping issue. Turns out my damping and stiffness values were too high. After adjusting them, I only have very minor clippings. And for the stabbing: Even though I literally copied dagger and only changed mesh, the 'penetrate with only with two hands' setting was checked, I unchecked that and lowered required velocity for penetration.

I still need to tweak the settings a little bit. Like penetration depth and gripping locations.
          The required velocity for penetration needs to be very low for my mesh to penetrate... I have to investigate that too.

After penetration, the knife slides into the dummy. Is it because of the physics material settings? Currently Stabbing kind of feels like we stab something that has hard shell on the outside but the inside is empty. Like it's hard to stab but after we stab it slides in like butter. Is there a way to change that?

But nonetheless, I'm very satisfied with the results.Just nitpicking.

This is a great plugin! Thank you for this awesome plugin

Video:

Comment

Thank you!! I fixed it. First I made the collision thicker as you suggested but that alone didnt fix the clipping issue. Turns out my damping and stiffness values were too high. After adjusting them, I only have very minor clippings. And for the stabbing: Even though I literally copied dagger and only changed mesh, the 'penetrate with only with two hands' setting was checked, I unchecked that and lowered required velocity for penetration.

I still need to tweak the settings a little bit. Like penetration depth and gripping locations.
            The required velocity for penetration needs to be very low for my mesh to penetrate... I have to investigate that too.

After penetration, the knife slides into the dummy. Is it because of the physics material settings? Currently Stabbing kind of feels like we stab something that has hard shell on the outside but the inside is empty. Like it's hard to stab but after we stab it slides in like butter. Is there a way to change that?

Video:
            You can adjust the strength on the X axis of the stabbing constraint to adjust how hard it is to slide once penetrated. Its something that you may want to do per weapon based on its mass or the density of the physics material that you are penetrating. That part is all left open out of the script itself so you shouldn't have any issues playing to your hearts content on tweaking it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I have a grippable box on the VR player character that, when grabbed, spawns an item and then attempts a grab by using VRE's Grip Object function. I've put 'VRGripP1' into the Optional Snap to Socket Name field. The item that is spawned is a grippable skeletal mesh, and has the VRGripP1 socket added to the skeleton.

However, while the object ends up being grabbed, the rotation is not correct - the location seems right though? Momentarily dropping and picking up the item amends the rotation problem (and on a side note, picking up the item when it is put in the world manually has no problems using the socket with the correct location and orientation.) However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the rotation to be correct the first time. What can I do to ensure the socket location and rotation is properly used?

With the World Offset Rotation set to 0.0, the rotation is definitely not matching the VRGripP1 socket rotation. I've also tried using the 'Convert to Grip Relative Transform' and 'Convert Transform to Relative' (see attached screenshots) to set the rotation, but neither of these correct the rotation, or perhaps I'm using them incorrectly. But this all indicates to me the socket isn't properly used, and I can't figure out why. I've searched this thread for things like "grip socket" and "grip spawn", but none of the posts really seem to cover this. Any advice?
              Last edited by EdisLeado; 09-05-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Video:
                is this with the default melee actor example? Last I remember stabbing wasn't functional, was there an update? This looks really good

Comment

Teleport onto Movable Platform
                  Anybody know how to set up a movable platform so that you can teleport onto it? The teleport destination doesn't seem to recognize movable objects. When I flipped it to static it recognized it again. I'd like to make it so that you teleport onto a platform and the platform can slowly move the player up or sideways without sliding off.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The teleport "Trace Teleport Destination" seems to only look for "WorldStatic" object types. I left the type as movable and under collision on the Static Mesh, changed it to custom and then the object type to "WorldStatic". I was then able to teleport to it and the platform moved and I didn't even get thrown off like I would have in Unity!
                  Last edited by dupdup; 09-06-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EdisLeado View Post
                    I have a grippable box on the VR player character that, when grabbed, spawns an item and then attempts a grab by using VRE's Grip Object function. I've put 'VRGripP1' into the Optional Snap to Socket Name field. The item that is spawned is a grippable skeletal mesh, and has the VRGripP1 socket added to the skeleton.

However, while the object ends up being grabbed, the rotation is not correct - the location seems right though? Momentarily dropping and picking up the item amends the rotation problem (and on a side note, picking up the item when it is put in the world manually has no problems using the socket with the correct location and orientation.) However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the rotation to be correct the first time. What can I do to ensure the socket location and rotation is properly used?

With the World Offset Rotation set to 0.0, the rotation is definitely not matching the VRGripP1 socket rotation. I've also tried using the 'Convert to Grip Relative Transform' and 'Convert Transform to Relative' (see attached screenshots) to set the rotation, but neither of these correct the rotation, or perhaps I'm using them incorrectly. But this all indicates to me the socket isn't properly used, and I can't figure out why. I've searched this thread for things like "grip socket" and "grip spawn", but none of the posts really seem to cover this. Any advice?
                    Mmm, no it should work with that setup, the alternative would be if you are testing with an FPS pawn as they don't use the motion controller profile offset for the controllers so they would have a rotation offset with that setup.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

is this with the default melee actor example? Last I remember stabbing wasn't functional, was there an update? This looks really good
                      Stabbing has been in since the melee stuff was made.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Stabbing has been in since the melee stuff was made.
                        Crazy, for some reason it never worked on a 4.24 build i was on and I just assumed it wasn't complete. But I just tested it and it seems to work great now.

Few adjustments and it'll be ready for the projects needs..

again as always, the plugins much appreciated

Comment

Sorry for the random question, but what exactly is the use case for the VRE_PhysicalAnimation component vs the standard PhysicalAnimation?

Comment

Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
                            Sorry for the random question, but what exactly is the use case for the VRE_PhysicalAnimation component vs the standard PhysicalAnimation?
                            It has the WeldedBoneDrive embedded in it, which is very useful for physical meshes.

Also some future improvements possibly, I have some notes sitting around somewhere.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello, what about render target manager? is possible to replicate via client on dedicated server? I dont see how to work with this :C

Comment

Originally posted by x_Pops_x View Post
                                Hello, what about render target manager? is possible to replicate via client on dedicated server? I dont see how to work with this :C
                                If setup like the one in the template, if you turn on the replicate initial data bool, it should work fine, regardless of if it is a dedicated server or not. You just have to load balance the max data variable around what your project uses for bandwidth settings.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X