VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dupdup View Post
    Sorry for the newbie questions. To what extent are people just reusing the assets in the example project? I'm coming from a Unity background using VRTK and then SteamVR example assets. I've got the example project going and like what I see. But then when I go to the tutorial videos by Raven it seems he is building a lot of stuff that seems to be already implemented. Interactable objects, teleporting ui, etc. Just a bit confused. I appreciate that there is a ton here but still confused as how to use it and understand fully what was done... If it is not obvious I'm a hobbyist, so don't have professional project requirements right now.
    The example template is "intended" to be a bunch of implementation examples, since the complexities of a SDK are hard to just describe how to actually utilize. Ravans videos are beginner tutorials for how to implement the core concepts from the ground up (which would also help to understand some of what the example template does).

In the end, its preferable to go ground up, but that is more expected of a experienced developer team, the majority of the users are also hobbyists or part timers and most of them are adapting the example template and just throwing out things they don't need.

Games like DropInVR are essentially the template with character customization and with a ton of game logic wrapped around it, while things like ZeroCaliber are ground up I believe, its really up to you and what you feel comfortable with. My concept of best practices doesn't work as well for beginner developers and it depends on how you learn and work best for yourself.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by dupdup View Post
      I appreciate that there is a ton here but still confused as how to use it and understand fully what was done..
      Check out my tutorials as well. A simple step-by-step tutorial for people who are new to the engine
      https://digital-messiah.com/blog/

Comment

Originally posted by Eanir View Post
        Check out my tutorials as well. A simple step-by-step tutorial for people who are new to the engine
        https://digital-messiah.com/blog/
        Eanir's tutorials are pretty great! Wish you would keep going my friend.

Comment

Does anyone have suggestions on how to move an enemy character through gripping? I use a physical animation component to allow per bone gripping for the limbs. I would like to move the entire character by pushing and pulling whilst gripping. I intend to use ik for foot placement, curious how to impart force to the whole character and capsule whilst using the plugins gripping (specifcally interactive physics)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanielbbb View Post
            Does anyone have suggestions on how to move an enemy character through gripping? I use a physical animation component to allow per bone gripping for the limbs. I would like to move the entire character by pushing and pulling whilst gripping. I intend to use ik for foot placement, curious how to impart force to the whole character and capsule whilst using the plugins gripping (specifcally interactive physics)
            Well characters don't actually respond to direct physical forces on the submeshes, as the character itself is the capsule. You can impart the forces to the capsule if you want too with AddForce on the character, or manually handle it following.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi again,
              this is most likely not VRExpansion related, however all of a sudden i do have a problem with my controllers in the VR expansion template.

For some reason the following movement modes in the template do not work any longer, meaning if i move the thumbstick the character won't move:
              • DPadPress-ControllerOrient
              • DPadPress-HMDOrient
              At the very same time the following hover modes do work:
              • DPadHover-HMDOrient
              • DPadHover-ControllerOrient
              The DPadPress versions used to work until now, but all of a sudden they stoppes working. This holds true for the Index controllers as well as the Vive controllers.

I confirmed the problem is also showing in a fresh/plain VR Expansion Template project. Also i haven't messed with the DefaultInput.ini as far as i know. Well this shouldn't be an issue with a plain template project anyways right? So is there some external setting which i might have messed up?

Cheers!

Comment

Hi Mordentral,

I have a regular UE4 pawn with two GripMotionControllers in it. I noticed that when I grip an object and move the pawn´s root component using a SetWorldPosition, the gripped object lags behind the controller a bit, and the faster I move the bigger the lag (I use this to move the player around the map using the trackpad on the controller).

The pawn and the gripped object are ticking in the pre-physics group, so in theory the plugin should have all the info it needs to correctly set the position of the object right? This only happens if I grip something with interactive, the moment I release the object the controller position works as expected.

Am I missing something? Can I modify the pawn or the grip in any way to remove this lag?

Thank you very much in advance, and thank you for this great plugin!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by jawatr View Post
                  Hi Mordentral,

I have a regular UE4 pawn with two GripMotionControllers in it. I noticed that when I grip an object and move the pawn´s root component using a SetWorldPosition, the gripped object lags behind the controller a bit, and the faster I move the bigger the lag (I use this to move the player around the map using the trackpad on the controller).

The pawn and the gripped object are ticking in the pre-physics group, so in theory the plugin should have all the info it needs to correctly set the position of the object right? This only happens if I grip something with interactive, the moment I release the object the controller position works as expected.

Am I missing something? Can I modify the pawn or the grip in any way to remove this lag?

Thank you very much in advance, and thank you for this great plugin!

Cheers!
                  the gripped object isn't "attached" to the motion controller unless you use the attachment type of grip. So no, moving the character manually AFTER the object is moved wouldn't work correctly with any other grip type, you need to manage your tick orders. If it is a physics grip then the physics thread may run afterwards, but the target point that it is trying to reach is set back in the pre_physics tick.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 08-29-2020, 09:53 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Destroy Session on Client Doesn't work.
                    if i destroy session on the server all clients and the server go back to the main menu level.
                    But if i call destroy session on one of the clients it succeeds (i placed a print string to check) destroying the session but the client doesn't leave, all other clients and the server still see him and his movement.
                    i also tried the destroy session on owning client vrExpension node, same result. destroy session only works on the Host player.

Comment

Originally posted by Qianfulong View Post
                      Hi again,
                      this is most likely not VRExpansion related, however all of a sudden i do have a problem with my controllers in the VR expansion template.

For some reason the following movement modes in the template do not work any longer, meaning if i move the thumbstick the character won't move:
                      • DPadPress-ControllerOrient
                      • DPadPress-HMDOrient
                      At the very same time the following hover modes do work:
                      • DPadHover-HMDOrient
                      • DPadHover-ControllerOrient
                      The DPadPress versions used to work until now, but all of a sudden they stoppes working. This holds true for the Index controllers as well as the Vive controllers.

I confirmed the problem is also showing in a fresh/plain VR Expansion Template project. Also i haven't messed with the DefaultInput.ini as far as i know. Well this shouldn't be an issue with a plain template project anyways right? So is there some external setting which i might have messed up?

Cheers!
                      One more finding: On the same system, opening a plain VRExp Template in a different engine install of 4.24, all movement modes work.

Comment

Originally posted by juliusD View Post
                        Destroy Session on Client Doesn't work.
                        if i destroy session on the server all clients and the server go back to the main menu level.
                        But if i call destroy session on one of the clients it succeeds (i placed a print string to check) destroying the session but the client doesn't leave, all other clients and the server still see him and his movement.
                        i also tried the destroy session on owning client vrExpension node, same result. destroy session only works on the Host player.
                        Destroy session isn't a plugin node, its a base engine node.

And it should be working fine unless you are directly IP connecting to a server instead of using JoinSession.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

One more finding: On the same system, opening a plain VRExp Template in a different engine install of 4.24, all movement modes work.
                          Sounds like you overrode the default SteamVR bindings for the controllers? You'll want to check your bindings for that launch in the steamvr overlay.

I assume that both builds were in 4.24.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Sounds like you overrode the default SteamVR bindings for the controllers? You'll want to check your bindings for that launch in the steamvr overlay.

I assume that both builds were in 4.24.
                            No, that is the strange thing about it. So in 4.25 the DPadPress movements do not work (the DpadHover movements work), neither in my edited project, nor in a fresh template project of yours. In a fresh project in 4.24 all movement modes work...

Comment

No, that is the strange thing about it. So in 4.25 the DPadPress movements do not work (the DpadHover movements work), neither in my edited project, nor in a fresh template project of yours. In a fresh project in 4.24 all movement modes work...
                              ​​​​​
                              Check what they are bound to in steam input overlay, they have been changing around the input module a decent amount. The actual bindings for the vive wands I don't think have changed since 4.24 in my template at all.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by sleepykid View Post
                                Hey,
                                Thanks for the plugin it's been a great help
                                I was wondering if there's a way to allow rotation of a hand relative to a grip?
                                For example:
                                I have a lever switch and I want the hand rotation to not be locked to the switch rotation but be able to rotate along one axis

If this isn't included functionality whereabouts should I add this?
                                So I tried to implement this with a physics constraint and got this:

It works pretty great when you grab on, but it's snapping on wrong. What I want to do is snap on using the current rotation of the hand, but the position of the attach point. At the moment the snapped rotation is based on the attach point which isn't what I want. I was getting confused with the transforms in grasping hand and how to use them to get the functionality that I want.

My (slightly) edited InitializeAndAttach function in GraspingHand: https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/gh80_uu-/

Thanks again for the plugin, it's been so helpful with our development, and thanks for being so helpful in these forums.

Comment

Working...
                                X