Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I created a test project based on your example template, packaged it and tried to upload it to the Oculus store to see if it would work. Oculus rejected it with the error:

    The package contains DLL libraries that are known to cause issues when running on the Oculus platform. These files must be removed prior to uploading: Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/OpenVR/OpenVRv1_0_2/Win64/openvr_api.dll, Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Steamworks/Steamv132/Win64/steam_api64.dll

    Do you know if this is just an issue with the version of the api.dlls or does Oculus just reject anything built with the steam APIs?

    Comment


      Originally posted by jbusfield View Post
      I created a test project based on your example template, packaged it and tried to upload it to the Oculus store to see if it would work. Oculus rejected it with the error:

      The package contains DLL libraries that are known to cause issues when running on the Oculus platform. These files must be removed prior to uploading: Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/OpenVR/OpenVRv1_0_2/Win64/openvr_api.dll, Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/Steamworks/Steamv132/Win64/steam_api64.dll

      Do you know if this is just an issue with the version of the api.dlls or does Oculus just reject anything built with the steam APIs?
      Steam api doesn't cause issues with their platform, they just reject anything built with it....likely because it lets the program communicate with a competitors service and they want their games launched on their front end. That being said you can untick the Steam/OpenVR plugin in the engine and it won't compile it out anymore. You would have to be sure to not use any of the steamVR specific code however as the plugin assumes that steamvr is available if compiled on a windows computer (controller skinning, tracked device properties). The controller skinning wouldn't work on oculus plugin anyway so it shouldn't really be a problem.

      The motion controller backend and HMD backend are platform agnostic and should work with the oculus plugin, I can't test however as DK2 was my last oculus hardware.


      Consider supporting me on patreon

      My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

      Comment


        We're trying to have a two bone IK to link our shoulder piece to our controllers.

        Whenever we select the bone on the Two Bone IK it crashes UE4.

        Using the two bone IK is how you got your arms to work correct?

        Comment


          Originally posted by maki-san View Post
          We're trying to have a two bone IK to link our shoulder piece to our controllers.

          Whenever we select the bone on the Two Bone IK it crashes UE4.

          Using the two bone IK is how you got your arms to work correct?
          Nah, it likely would be the correct way to do it though. I used the FABRIK node to link the bone chains from the shoulder to the wrist and set the wrist target to the controller + a positional offset.


          Consider supporting me on patreon

          My Open source tools and plugins
          Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

          Comment


            Originally posted by mordentral View Post
            Nah, it likely would be the correct way to do it though. I used the FABRIK node to link the bone chains from the shoulder to the wrist and set the wrist target to the controller + a positional offset.
            Using the FABRIK node like this?

            http://i.imgur.com/hMPN40f.png

            Two Bone IK just crashes it: http://i.imgur.com/6kD3NDT.png

            Comment


              In your preview your secondary hand attaches to the "VRGripS1" socket on the gun. Where is this code?

              Edit: Also, I migrated the important stuff from your sampleProject, but for some reason moving the top cube on the gun does not work.

              Thanks!
              Last edited by thomja; 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM.

              Comment


                Originally posted by thomja View Post
                In your preview your secondary hand attaches to the "VRGripS1" socket on the gun. Where is this code?

                Edit: Also, I migrated the important stuff from your sampleProject, but for some reason moving the top cube on the gun does not work.

                Thanks!
                In the grip function it checks for "Primary Grip socket in range", if it finds one then it grips it there by passing in that socket transform.


                Consider supporting me on patreon

                My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

                Comment


                  Suggestion: Add a third person camera, one that outputs to the monitor.

                  That way you can see around your VRCharacter and his surroundings.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Shanowzer View Post
                    Suggestion: Add a third person camera, one that outputs to the monitor.

                    That way you can see around your VRCharacter and his surroundings.
                    Thats not something the plugin needs to handle as without re-writing part of the hmd code and making a new class for it I would have to render to texture and display the texture to the screen witch could be done just in blueprints instead.

                    Also seperate views to the window is something currently slated to be done by epic themselves probably in 4.15 and integrated by default.


                    Consider supporting me on patreon

                    My Open source tools and plugins
                    Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

                    Comment


                      I've been able to use IK (in my case on the hands but using a full body model) working without a hitch using BIK but I have not tried it using Two Bone IK. In my case (using BIK) I placed Effectors on the controllers themselves. There are some feet grounding issues which I haven't fully worked out yet but had time to dig through on focus on fixing. That may or may not be helpful but figured I'd mention it.
                      Last edited by J.C. Smith; 12-20-2016, 03:15 AM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by J.C. Smith View Post
                        I've been able to use IK (in my case on the hands but using a full body model) working without a hitch using BIK but I have not tried it using Two Bone IK. In my case (using BIK) I placed Effectors on the controllers themselves. There are some feet grounding issues which I haven't fully worked out yet but had time to dig through on focus on fixing. That may or may not be helpful but figured I'd mention it.
                        Yeah like I said, FABRIK was quick and dirty to get the default arms working, but with a rig built for IK it shouldn't be required.


                        Consider supporting me on patreon

                        My Open source tools and plugins
                        Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

                        Comment


                          I`d like to limit the maximum distance the controllers can get away from the camera to prevent cheating in multiplayer. What is the best way to tackle this? Should I be adding an offset to the controllers if they exceed some distance?

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by UE4Hobbyist View Post
                            I`d like to limit the maximum distance the controllers can get away from the camera to prevent cheating in multiplayer. What is the best way to tackle this? Should I be adding an offset to the controllers if they exceed some distance?
                            I wouldn't bother, I would just turn them semi transparent for visual feedback and deny using anything and drop anything held. You would have to account for a large persons wingspan though and would probably want to limit it only on the distance of the x/y axis.

                            For roomscale bounds I have a Trello note to limit the HMD and motion controllers to the drawn limits to prevent tracking loss sometimes throwing them out of it....however I realized that the actual tracked space is significantly larger than the drawn limits so that would be a bad idea.


                            Consider supporting me on patreon

                            My Open source tools and plugins
                            Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

                            Comment


                              I'm going through things I might want to implement on my upcoming two weeks off for the holidays, I think primarily I would get a server browser / basic multiplayer up and running, also have a note for a component to handle drawing / defining manually areas within the tracked space to set as visual boundaries in game (draw around a chair for example and have it shown in the relative roomspace in game).

                              I might tackle climbing but the mechanics of that are so unique from implementation to implementation that I have been avoiding doing so.

                              Any other ideas?


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                The idea of a manual 'tracked area' component as you describe sounds absolutely incredible!
                                How would this work? Does the user draw these manaul areas during runtime and the areas are seen?
                                Could the user draw these areas while in an editor preview of the game and receive the results in unreal editor after quiting the session?

                                I have made a 3d model of the entire studio space I work at and it is a pain having to re-adjust the virtual "tables", "filing cabinets", shelves etc after they have been moved.
                                It would be so cool if, in VR the user could plot that data and then see the results back in the editor to shift the virtual objects to line up.
                                Michael Wentworth-Bell
                                Espire 1: VR Operative: Espire1.com
                                Melbourne, Australia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X