No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mordentral , thank you for your wonderful work!

I have a problem and I'd wish you could point me in the right direction:

Trying to build a full body avatar and I'd like to update the root / parent relative attachment location separately from the camera location so the body wouldn't move around when I just slightly move my head around or lean. The character body is currently attached to the parent relative attachment.

What would you suggest I do? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarsky View Post
      Hi mordentral , thank you for your wonderful work!

I have a problem and I'd wish you could point me in the right direction:

Trying to build a full body avatar and I'd like to update the root / parent relative attachment location separately from the camera location so the body wouldn't move around when I just slightly move my head around or lean. The character body is currently attached to the parent relative attachment.

What would you suggest I do? Thanks.
      Use the SetParentComponent implementation to parent it to a scene component that you move yourself, or disable ticking on it and manage everything yourself, or detach the mesh from the PRC and manage it yourself.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

mordentral Thanks for the reply, I'll try one of your suggestions.

Btw. How is the arm IK progressing? Really looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Zarsky View Post
          mordentral Thanks for the reply, I'll try one of your suggestions.

Btw. How is the arm IK progressing? Really looking forward to it!
          Stalled as I got busy with things in life getting in the way and other projects for the plugin. Have a few things that I need to fix with it before I would consider it even being worth finishing. I'm not in the business of IK work, I just wanted to experiment with that particular paper and it was novel, it has some draw backs that would need solved before being used in any sort of generic way.

I wouldn't put an ik solution in the plugin at all unless it was better on average than other full package offerings, better to let the dedicated IK guys handle it if that isn't the case.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

hi mordentral.

I'm making a physics door now, but there's one problem. Assuming that the weight of the physics door is set to very heavy, it feels very heavy when holding and handling it, but when the VR Character moves forward through location, the motion controller moves together, so the door opens without any weight. I think VRRootReference is because simulate physics are disabled and physical reactions are all coming from the movement reference. In conclusion, can't you let the vr charter root capsule be affected by the unreal world mass?
            Last edited by CokeKuma; 07-14-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CokeKuma View Post
              hi mordentral.

I'm making a physics door now, but there's one problem. Assuming that the weight of the physics door is set to very heavy, it feels very heavy when holding and handling it, but when the VR Character moves forward through location, the motion controller moves together, so the door opens without any weight. I think VRRootReference is because simulate physics are disabled and physical reactions are all coming from the movement reference. In conclusion, can't you let the vr charter root capsule be affected by the unreal world mass?
              https://vreue4.com/documentation?section=character-tips

In the "Simulated objects and the character" section.

Sounds like the door is bouncing off the capsule, you can change it with that there, however simulated interactions are off by default for a good reason, most games aren't going to want physical interactions with the capsule as you have to specifically design around it or you can end up in situations where you are throwing the player around or stuttering them on simulating objects (in this specific case leaning your head forward into the door would slow your actual head movements down).

Also keep in mind that character controllers are never "simulating", they are kinematic always, but they have some hand coded physical responses in them to emulate force feedback.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi i have been playing with the multiplayer component is there a tutorial as to how to get things working as my npcs are only dying on the host side as well as particles etc etc i'm still new to the multiplayer stuff so any help would be appreciated everything else is working perfectly so thank you for that

Comment

So I'm taking a stroll through the tut videos and I think I'm running up against a wall. On the second video where you use a tracer to grip, I can't seem to get the tracer to fire. I'm aware that new characters etc don't work unless you go to input on defaults and get them working but that also didn't work?

Comment

Originally posted by Xanthusbass View Post
                    Hi i have been playing with the multiplayer component is there a tutorial as to how to get things working as my npcs are only dying on the host side as well as particles etc etc i'm still new to the multiplayer stuff so any help would be appreciated everything else is working perfectly so thank you for that
                    That is kind of a generic multiplayer question and there are any number of tutorials and documentation places for that.

Originally posted by Gilfeather View Post
                    So I'm taking a stroll through the tut videos and I think I'm running up against a wall. On the second video where you use a tracer to grip, I can't seem to get the tracer to fire. I'm aware that new characters etc don't work unless you go to input on defaults and get them working but that also didn't work?
                    You need to bind to input in input settings yes, and then place the input event in your graph and fire the logic off of that. If you are on SteamVR and its not firing input you need to regenerate the input manifest from their menu button as its a common problem with it after its recent re-write.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hey Mordentral,

I'm currently implementing weapon holsters in my project and wanted to know, where is your logic for attaching GunBase to the body component when you drop it in the example template? I thought it was the "Drop and Socket Grip" function in your "Drop single item" block in the main vr pawn but I don't see a socket on the static mesh.

I'll probably end up going the socket route on a custom holster, but wanted to know the proper place to put it and how you implemented it.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by waslegit View Post
                        Hey Mordentral,

I'm currently implementing weapon holsters in my project and wanted to know, where is your logic for attaching GunBase to the body component when you drop it in the example template? I thought it was the "Drop and Socket Grip" function in your "Drop single item" block in the main vr pawn but I don't see a socket on the static mesh.

I'll probably end up going the socket route on a custom holster, but wanted to know the proper place to put it and how you implemented it.

Thanks again!
                        DropAndSocket doesnt' have to attach to a socket, you can use one as the target for it if you want though. But yeah it does use that function, the template is setup so that it calls the objects WantsToSocket function and drops and sockets if true.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Ah Perfect! I immediately dismissed it since I didn't see an actual mesh "socket" lol. I traced the ShouldSocketGrip and RequestsSocket back to GunBase via the Grip interface and found where you're calling Body and got my custom holster working.

Appreciate the response!

Comment

Is there an event for when the stabbing constraint is broken? I am trying to apply a damage event when the constraint is broken using on constraint broken but it does not seem to be working?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathanielbbb View Post
                              Is there an event for when the stabbing constraint is broken? I am trying to apply a damage event when the constraint is broken using on constraint broken but it does not seem to be working?
                              The "stabbing constraint" is just a normal constraint. Did you set a max force so that it would actually break?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Sorry, perhaps i misspoke. When something is stabbed and the knife is pulled out is there an event i could use for apply damage. ATM it is overlap end with the stabber but that is not preffered. Im asking if there is a better event for sending damage when the stabbing is initiated or ended?

Comment

Working...
                                X