Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelen View Post
    @ mordentral
    Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check out your suggestions. My main problem was that, when I throw a large object, it lands almost right in front of me and I couldn't find a way to make it lighter.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll dig out some solution with velocity change.
    Oh you actually had an object heavy enough that the physics constraint couldn't move it? Or did it move with your hand normally but just fall down when released?

If its the latter then you may be passing in a really low Optional Velocity to the object causing it to just fall down, because if it moves it should be able to be released with the velocity of the movement just fine.

There are some use cases. Someone might be making an RTS in which characters are mainly controlled by AI but the player can possess those units. In my game I am using the same VR pawn for bots and players to prevent code duplication. It is not an urgent problem though, because there are workarounds on the problems I` ve seen so far.
    Sorry for bringing back your deleted post but I wanted to actually respond to it.

The VR Player Controller overrides the PathFollowingComponent to be one that uses the correct offsets for vr, if you are using an AIPlayerController it doesn't do this so the path following will all be based off of the actors zero point. I could make a derived AIController that forces my path following component but I don't want to bloat even more classes into the plugin unless it is really needed and I actually think this would promote bad practices.

Currently for the functionality you desire you could:

1. Manually path there using the movetolocation/extendedmovetolocation nodes on the vrcharacter

2. Use a simple character since its zero point is still the actors zero point

(better)
    3. Use a different character for the ai controlled pawns that is replaced when possessed, this would prevent the overhead of all of the extra components and on tick events. AI is already fairly expensive and you really shouldn't be adding more cost to an AI pawn if at all possible.
    Last edited by mordentral; 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
      Oh you actually had an object heavy enough that the physics constraint couldn't move it? Or did it move with your hand normally but just fall down when released?

If its the latter then you may be passing in a really low Optional Velocity to the object causing it to just fall down, because if it moves it should be able to be released with the velocity of the movement just fine.

Sorry for bringing back your deleted post but I wanted to actually respond to it.

The VR Player Controller overrides the PathFollowingComponent to be one that uses the correct offsets for vr, if you are using an AIPlayerController it doesn't do this so the path following will all be based off of the actors zero point. I could make a derived AIController that forces my path following component but I don't want to bloat even more classes into the plugin unless it is really needed and I actually think this would promote bad practices.

Currently for the functionality you desire you could:

1. Manually path there using the movetolocation/extendedmovetolocation nodes on the vrcharacter

2. Use a simple character since its zero point is still the actors zero point

(better)
      3. Use a different character for the ai controlled pawns that is replaced when possessed, this would prevent the overhead of all of the extra components and on tick events. AI is already fairly expensive and you really shouldn't be adding more cost to an AI pawn if at all possible.
      I deleted my comment because i realized that i was using an old version of the plugin without the simple character. I just downloaded the plugin again, re parented my characters and it works great

Comment

Hi, I have a quick question here. When I enable simulate physics on the VRRootReference it throws my character super fast into the air. It does that even on a "virgin" VRCharacter. I've tried every movement modes in the VR movement component but the problem remain. The idea here is that I want to climb a wall and throw myself into the air to climb another wall. Without simulate physics on the VRRootReference capsule my character does not have lateral movement when I throw myself. Any idea how to resolve this? Thank a lot for your good work!

Comment

Originally posted by xnovatrix View Post
          Hi, I have a quick question here. When I enable simulate physics on the VRRootReference it throws my character super fast into the air. It does that even on a "virgin" VRCharacter. I've tried every movement modes in the VR movement component but the problem remain. The idea here is that I want to climb a wall and throw myself into the air to climb another wall. Without simulate physics on the VRRootReference capsule my character does not have lateral movement when I throw myself. Any idea how to resolve this? Thank a lot for your good work!
          Go into flight movement mode and add velocity (character movement add impulse / add force) in the direction you want to go.....don't use simulate physics on a character with a movement component for VR. When you turn on physics it locks out the movement component from control and acts on its own, this will be terrible for VR.
          Last edited by mordentral; 12-15-2016, 11:15 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hello,
            I tried FPSVive_PawnCharacter and it works, except the rotation. There are InputAxis Turn and LookUp, they're hooked up to Add Controller Yaw/Pitch Input, but the camera stays locked. Why is it locked? Is there an easy fix for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiy View Post
              Hello,
              I tried FPSVive_PawnCharacter and it works, except the rotation. There are InputAxis Turn and LookUp, they're hooked up to Add Controller Yaw/Pitch Input, but the camera stays locked. Why is it locked? Is there an easy fix for this?
              Its not locked for me, do you have the camera ticked to follow HMD or something?

I do all of my testing when away from home with that character.

Go into flight movement mode and add velocity (character movement add impulse / add force) in the direction you want to go.....don't use simulate physics on a character with a movement component for VR. When you turn on physics it locks out the movement component from control and acts on its own, this will be terrible for VR.
              Quoting myself because there is a better way, go into falling movement mode instead and add impulse / force upwards for the self thrown vector, then it obeys gravity and transitions to walking mode on landing.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Literally spent the last two weeks avoiding this plugin - because I didn't like plugins - even though SteamVR is a plugin itself...

So I fidgeted around with the VR Template and attempted to get everything to work properly...

So very glad I came back to download this. Cheers m8!

Comment

Going to get some things added / worked on tomorrow as I have some free time then. Still plan on a lot of work over my two weeks off but that is still a week off.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I've attached my child blueprint to my Parent Relative Attachment, and I'm able to grab it and use it fine from there!

However, when I drop it; Is there any way to attach it back to where it was?

Comment

Originally posted by maki-san View Post
                      I've attached my child blueprint to my Parent Relative Attachment, and I'm able to grab it and use it fine from there!

However, when I drop it; Is there any way to attach it back to where it was?
                      Make some sort of socket system or have it remember its last location relative to the parent relative attachment.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Make some sort of socket system or have it remember its last location relative to the parent relative attachment.
                        I got it working! This works as an inventory system now

Comment

Hello

First off I wanna say thank you for this contribution, I think it's good to have a propper base setup so that people don't have to reinvent the wheel in every VR project.

But I'm having some problems using it as I'm not really sure how to go about it, I've spent the last few hours migrating the parts I need in my project, that being the character pawn and now I'm working on the hands.

I downloaded your sample project which has given me some insights on how you use the plugin. But I had a hard time finding code for the specific functionality I was looking for.

The gun in your sample project has this little box you can drag back and forth, where is the code for this? Is this all handled by the interface somehow?

I also had a look at the FPSVive pawn, it had a LOT of code I saw was made with multiplayer in mind. Are we all just supposed to copy this or does this come with the plugin somehow? I read in the docs that things are made with multiplayer in mind.

I really liked how you solved the problem of players clipping their head through meshes by pushing back the players. However I noticed that with this comes a problem. Leaning over something like a fence or a small box is no longer possible as it collides with the bottom of the pawn which is understandable. Do you have any plans of solving this even though I understand it can be really difficult.

Edit: This thread is getting way to big to read through it all in hopes of finding someone with the same problem as one self and see a solution. I would recommend putting up a forum for this plugin. In the bitbucket issue tracker you recommended people to post here so that everyone could see that answer.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by thomja View Post
                            Hello

First off I wanna say thank you for this contribution, I think it's good to have a propper base setup so that people don't have to reinvent the wheel in every VR project.

But I'm having some problems using it as I'm not really sure how to go about it, I've spent the last few hours migrating the parts I need in my project, that being the character pawn and now I'm working on the hands.

I downloaded your sample project which has given me some insights on how you use the plugin. But I had a hard time finding code for the specific functionality I was looking for.

The gun in your sample project has this little box you can drag back and forth, where is the code for this? Is this all handled by the interface somehow?

I also had a look at the FPSVive pawn, it had a LOT of code I saw was made with multiplayer in mind. Are we all just supposed to copy this or does this come with the plugin somehow? I read in the docs that things are made with multiplayer in mind.

I really liked how you solved the problem of players clipping their head through meshes by pushing back the players. However I noticed that with this comes a problem. Leaning over something like a fence or a small box is no longer possible as it collides with the bottom of the pawn which is understandable. Do you have any plans of solving this even though I understand it can be really difficult.

Edit: This thread is getting way to big to read through it all in hopes of finding someone with the same problem as one self and see a solution. I would recommend putting up a forum for this plugin. In the bitbucket issue tracker you recommended people to post here so that everyone could see that answer.

Thanks!

You can set anything you want to not collide with the player if you wish and it won't block the path (ignore pawn collision channel), for fences either an offset collision or manual block could be used instead. I had some thoughts about separating head and body collision awhile back but its gimmicky without foot or waist tracking so I removed the code and put it on my trello as something to look at again later. There are simplistic ways of handling it (don't register capsule block until head is > distance from body) but they are either gameplay specific or have downsides so I haven't built them into the plugin. Generally small objects I have set to ignore collision with the pawn capsule and only set things like full walls are large objects to collide.

The multiplayer code for the character doesn't really slow it down any for single player enviroments, it could be removed or not without issue.

The box on top of the gun in the template is a grippable component set to be interactive in its properties, then the properties are filled in for how it behaves. There is no special blueprinting for it.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You can set anything you want to not collide with the player if you wish and it won't block the path (ignore pawn collision channel), for fences either an offset collision or manual block could be used instead. I had some thoughts about separating head and body collision awhile back but its gimmicky without foot or waist tracking so I removed the code and put it on my trello as something to look at again later. There are simplistic ways of handling it (don't register capsule block until head is > distance from body) but they are either gameplay specific or have downsides so I haven't built them into the plugin. Generally small objects I have set to ignore collision with the pawn capsule and only set things like full walls are large objects to collide.

The multiplayer code for the character doesn't really slow it down any for single player enviroments, it could be removed or not without issue.

The box on top of the gun in the template is a grippable component set to be interactive in its properties, then the properties are filled in for how it behaves. There is no special blueprinting for it.
                              Thanks for the reply.

I wish you the best of luck with the tinkering of the collision as it's a hard topic.

I don't believe it slows it down, I will need it in my game. I'm more wondering if there is anything important I'm missing if without it. As just migrating it to my project didn't work.

I figured this could be the case, but was wondering how it was locked in place and only allowed to be moved in one direction. I wasn't able to find any properties for this that you had set. I did have a look to see if any axis were locked but they weren't. Also I believe that is world axises but I could be wrong. It shouldn't be too difficult to blueprint but again, why reinvent the wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by thomja View Post
                                Thanks for the reply.

I wish you the best of luck with the tinkering of the collision as it's a hard topic.

I don't believe it slows it down, I will need it in my game. I'm more wondering if there is anything important I'm missing if without it. As just migrating it to my project didn't work.

I figured this could be the case, but was wondering how it was locked in place and only allowed to be moved in one direction. I wasn't able to find any properties for this that you had set. I did have a look to see if any axis were locked but they weren't. Also I believe that is world axises but I could be wrong. It shouldn't be too difficult to blueprint but again, why reinvent the wheel?
                                The interaction properties set that.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X