Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

    Just have the water volume not block VRTrace? That is the only channel that the gripping should be checking against. That or modify the blueprints to still switch nodes.

    The template isn't intended to be used without modifications, or as is at all really.
    I have tried changing the priority of the physics volume from 0 to -100, -1, and +1, +100 but the player and controllers are still getting stuck, unfortunately. I am fairly new to UE4 and also from a level designer/artist background, not a programming one I am afraid. It would be a shame to have to remove all of the grippable objects from the water volume just to try and make things work. We could do with having a good programmer onboard who has UE4 experience i know, but we haven't been able to find anyone who is available yet, unfortunately...

    I will just keep playing around with things anyway and see what else I may be able to come up with

    Many thanks once again for all of your help, and cheers!
    Last edited by jobywood; 06-15-2020, 03:44 PM.

    Comment


      Originally posted by jobywood View Post

      I have tried changing the priority of the physics volume from 0 to -100, -1, and +1, +100 but the player and controllers are still getting stuck, unfortunately. I am fairly new to UE4 and also from a level designer/artist background, not a programming one I am afraid. It would be a shame to have to remove all of the grippable objects from the water volume just to try and make things work. We could do with having a good programmer onboard who has UE4 experience i know, but we haven't been able to find anyone who is available yet, unfortunately...

      I will just keep playing around with things anyway and see what else I may be able to come up with

      Many thanks once again for all of your help, and cheers!
      Did you try to set VRIKChannel to "ignore" in the collision properties of the Volume? Its usually set to "Block" by default.

      Comment


        Originally posted by jobywood View Post

        I have tried changing the priority of the physics volume from 0 to -100, -1, and +1, +100 but the player and controllers are still getting stuck, unfortunately. I am fairly new to UE4 and also from a level designer/artist background, not a programming one I am afraid. It would be a shame to have to remove all of the grippable objects from the water volume just to try and make things work. We could do with having a good programmer onboard who has UE4 experience i know, but we haven't been able to find anyone who is available yet, unfortunately...

        I will just keep playing around with things anyway and see what else I may be able to come up with

        Many thanks once again for all of your help, and cheers!
        Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

        Did you try to set VRIKChannel to "ignore" in the collision properties of the Volume? Its usually set to "Block" by default.
        Yeah just set this:





        Consider supporting me on patreon

        My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

        Comment


          So I ended up just setting everything to kinematic for the clientside view and only simulating on grip, or on enough damage to warrant a movement input disable, allowing the player to stumble realistically. It's not ideal, but it still looks good for the VR player and thats the priority.. Thanks for the help... Just to pick your brain real quick though, regarding blade melee physics. I saw your MeleeBase actor, was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on the blueprint work you had in there?And how does it tie in to the GS script?

          Personally I was planning on going the walking dead method, and having a constraint spawn on impact point based on velocity, then only allowing movement on the X(or whatever the blades impale axis is) axis..Disabling collision between the meshes too. Though, i'm not sure how I'd add a resistance to the push or pull, or whether I could add wiggle room for the other axis' based on how much the grip is pulling or pushing. Your input would be interesting..
          And thanks again for the help on the other topic, if I manage to fix the actual issue, i'll let you know of the solution incase it has anything to do with the uGrippableSkeletalMeshComponent

          Comment


            Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
            So I ended up just setting everything to kinematic for the clientside view and only simulating on grip, or on enough damage to warrant a movement input disable, allowing the player to stumble realistically. It's not ideal, but it still looks good for the VR player and thats the priority.. Thanks for the help... Just to pick your brain real quick though, regarding blade melee physics. I saw your MeleeBase actor, was wondering if you could elaborate a bit on the blueprint work you had in there?And how does it tie in to the GS script?

            Personally I was planning on going the walking dead method, and having a constraint spawn on impact point based on velocity, then only allowing movement on the X(or whatever the blades impale axis is) axis..Disabling collision between the meshes too. Though, i'm not sure how I'd add a resistance to the push or pull, or whether I could add wiggle room for the other axis' based on how much the grip is pulling or pushing. Your input would be interesting..
            And thanks again for the help on the other topic, if I manage to fix the actual issue, i'll let you know of the solution incase it has anything to do with the uGrippableSkeletalMeshComponent
            The melee base example blueprints for stabbing do just that, constrain to the surface hit with only the leading edge free. It uses an array of stabbing components that you can assign to provide different angles and forces to trigger a stab from.

            Resistance to the push/push can be done just by adding some damping to the constraint holding them together, though if you want it more like WalkingDead they actually fake the forces for a lot of it and tie the visual arm to the weapon and have an invisible arm that they drive things off of. You could certainly do something like that, or you could drive the constraint stiffness off of the constraint impulse and when it hits a threadhold loosen it up to "break through".

            The grip script is mostly being used to calculate the velocities and handle the hand switching and movements, you could do away with it entirely, its a tooling class to take some of the effort out. I didn't want to bake the actual constraint part into it as that would lower flexibility where people likely want it the most.


            As for the grippable class, no it wouldn't have anything to do with your issues (which I couldn't reproduce btw, unsure what you are doing with your setup). Outside of when gripped the grippable class doesn't do anything. The only thing I could see causing that is your client receiving corrections from the server due to improper movement setup. In that case the non default skeletal mesh doesn't force teleport physics so it could hitch like that.
            Last edited by mordentral; 06-16-2020, 08:37 AM.


            Consider supporting me on patreon

            My Open source tools and plugins
            Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

            Comment


              Hi, I posted this question in the main VR thread but got no reply there. It occurred to me that I may be better asking here as I am using the VRE plugin to build my game.

              I was wondering if there is a way to allow the player to teleport and walk on walls/extreme sloped surfaces, roof surfaces - basically ignoring gravity, so whatever surface you are standing on becomes the new floor?

              Any idea on any methods I might try to achieve this and where I could possibly slot this in to VRExpansion?

              Thanks

              Comment


                Originally posted by Fnordcorps View Post
                Hi, I posted this question in the main VR thread but got no reply there. It occurred to me that I may be better asking here as I am using the VRE plugin to build my game.

                I was wondering if there is a way to allow the player to teleport and walk on walls/extreme sloped surfaces, roof surfaces - basically ignoring gravity, so whatever surface you are standing on becomes the new floor?

                Any idea on any methods I might try to achieve this and where I could possibly slot this in to VRExpansion?

                Thanks
                You would want something like:

                https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...s-amp-Plugins=

                There are a lot of forum threads about altering the character movement component to handle any gravity direction, none of them are going to be easy / bug free solutions though, even more so in VR / multiplayer.

                Its on my (very) long term list of things to look at, but considering how much would have to be re-written in the character and tested to really ensure it works correctly multiplayer its nowhere near to something i'm tackling soon.

                Also for that matter, that kind of movement mode it fairly relative to the users implementation, its hard to make a truly generic version that people can use for most any case.


                That being said, if you aren't looking for full gravity and aren't looking for the full walking movement mode with surface redirection, then just setting the movement mode to "custom" you can align the character however you want to anything and run the logic yourself.

                Like: https://andrewfray.wordpress.com/201...ia-blueprints/

                There used to be a good wiki page on it but its gone now. That blog is half correct, you do need to get the input values if trying to locomote from it and the networking should sort itself for the most part.
                Last edited by mordentral; 06-17-2020, 03:07 PM.


                Consider supporting me on patreon

                My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

                Comment


                  Thankyou mordentral - Will have a look. If I get something working I will send it your way to look at, although I somehow doubt you need the help!. And thanks for VRE - really helping my project come together.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Fnordcorps View Post
                    Thankyou mordentral - Will have a look. If I get something working I will send it your way to look at, although I somehow doubt you need the help!. And thanks for VRE - really helping my project come together.
                    Oh I know how to do it for what you want, that one is a really simple setup actually.

                    A full blown auto walk up walls with smooth networking/jumping/dynamic gravity would be more effort is all.


                    Consider supporting me on patreon

                    My Open source tools and plugins
                    Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by mordentral View Post



                      Yeah just set this:


                      Hi again Guys,

                      many thanks for the suggestions.

                      I have done exactly what you said and the goods news is that the player is no longer getting stuck and the controllers now cycle through their settings correctly which is fantastic! However, neither the player nor any of the other movable objects either seem to be affected by the water physics volume settings at all, unfortunately.

                      It is possible that I have missed out on something stupid, but I have double-checked everything in a regular template and the physics volume works fine there, so I am not too sure exactly what the problem could be this time...

                      Once again any help at all would be very much appreciated, thank you!!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by MaSe87 View Post
                        Hi again, I have completed all of the steps in this blueprint now and compiled etc + also added 'DPad Press - Snap Turn' to the MovementModes enumeration file, however when I cycle through the controller's modes in-game the snap turn option still isn't showing for some reason?

                        Would it be possible for you to help me with this also, please? Thank you
                        Last edited by jobywood; 06-18-2020, 08:40 AM.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jobywood View Post

                          Hi again Guys,

                          many thanks for the suggestions.

                          I have done exactly what you said and the goods news is that the player is no longer getting stuck and the controllers now cycle through their settings correctly which is fantastic! However, neither the player nor any of the other movable objects either seem to be affected by the water physics volume settings at all, unfortunately.

                          It is possible that I have missed out on something stupid, but I have double-checked everything in a regular template and the physics volume works fine there, so I am not too sure exactly what the problem could be this time...

                          Once again any help at all would be very much appreciated, thank you!!
                          Enable collision with it, by default the character collides only with the static channel, physics volumes spawn in as dynamic collision.
                          Last edited by mordentral; 06-18-2020, 09:06 AM.


                          Consider supporting me on patreon

                          My Open source tools and plugins
                          Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by jobywood View Post

                            Hi again, I have completed all of the steps in this blueprint now and compiled etc + also added 'DPad Press - Snap Turn' to the MovementModes enumeration file, however when I cycle through the controller's modes in-game the snap turn option still isn't showing for some reason?

                            Would it be possible for you to help me with this also, please? Thank you
                            Snap turn isn't one of the default movement modes, generally you should be picking one movement mode at a time on the back end, letting it get set via a settings menu or something, and binding whatever key you want to the snap turn action.

                            The movement mode scrolling only exists in the template for people to play with the different options.


                            Consider supporting me on patreon

                            My Open source tools and plugins
                            Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                              Snap turn isn't one of the default movement modes, generally you should be picking one movement mode at a time on the back end, letting it get set via a settings menu or something, and binding whatever key you want to the snap turn action.

                              The movement mode scrolling only exists in the template for people to play with the different options.
                              I have finally been able to get it working mordentral, thank you

                              I have attached a copy of the blueprint edit here in case anybody else may need a similar solution at all.

                              Also, I now have a mystery object which has suddenly started appearing every time I spawn!! If anybody knows what this might be (see fig.2) or how to get rid of it then I would very much appreciate the input thank you!!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by jobywood View Post

                                I have finally been able to get it working mordentral, thank you

                                I have attached a copy of the blueprint edit here in case anybody else may need a similar solution at all.

                                Also, I now have a mystery object which has suddenly started appearing every time I spawn!! If anybody knows what this might be (see fig.2) or how to get rid of it then I would very much appreciate the input thank you!!
                                That is another pawn being spawned in, likely because you set it in game mode.

                                Those velocity settings in the snap turn node handle how character velocity is dealt with when snap turning by the way. You can have it re-direct to your new orientation if you aren't using instant accelleration or if in a flying mode or something else that conserves momentum.


                                Consider supporting me on patreon

                                My Open source tools and plugins
                                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X