Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi all, I have just switched my VR project over from VR template to the VR expansion plugin, and was wondering if anybody might know how to make one of the controllers do a 45-degree rotation like half-life Alyx does, as since the switch my previous solution is unfortunately not working. I do realize that this might not be the right forum to ask in but I figured that it could be worth a shot anyway!! Cheers

    Comment


      Hi. Is the Example Template released under the MIT license? There is no license file on its github repo, and I'd like to get a confirmation or denial before using things from it.
      Either way, thanks for your work, saved me months of work.

      Comment


        Originally posted by jobywood View Post
        Hi all, I have just switched my VR project over from VR template to the VR expansion plugin, and was wondering if anybody might know how to make one of the controllers do a 45-degree rotation like half-life Alyx does, as since the switch my previous solution is unfortunately not working. I do realize that this might not be the right forum to ask in but I figured that it could be worth a shot anyway!! Cheers
        See this post

        Comment


          Thanks MaSe87!!

          I shall now look further into that one then...

          A problem that I have run into now with the VR Expansion plugin is that if I place a physics water volume over the whole of the play area, then it seems to stop my knuckles controllers from working for some reason (i.e. the A button will no longer cycle through the control modes properly?)

          I am trying to create an underwater VR play area at the moment also using Galidar's 'Oceanology' plugin and am eventually hoping that it will end up playing a little bit like 'Lone Echo' does I suppose...

          Any help that anyone may be able to give would be very much appreciated, please! Thank you
          Last edited by jobywood; 06-14-2020, 12:07 PM.

          Comment


            Originally posted by DaNetNavern0 View Post
            Hi. Is the Example Template released under the MIT license? There is no license file on its github repo, and I'd like to get a confirmation or denial before using things from it.
            Either way, thanks for your work, saved me months of work.
            Yeah it is, I never placed a license file in it as it wasn't intended to be a game base as is.
            All assets are either free assets available for the engine, 10 min mockups from me, or from the community.
            Should be good to use anything.


            Consider supporting me on patreon

            My Open source tools and plugins
            Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

            Comment


              Originally posted by jobywood View Post
              Thanks MaSe87!!

              I shall now look further into that one then...

              A problem that I have run into now with the VR Expansion plugin is that if I place a physics water volume over the whole of the play area, then it seems to stop my knuckles controllers from working for some reason (i.e. the A button will no longer cycle through the control modes properly?)

              I am trying to create an underwater VR play area at the moment also using Galidar's 'Oceanology' plugin and am eventually hoping that it will end up playing a little bit like 'Lone Echo' does I suppose...

              Any help that anyone may be able to give would be very much appreciated, please! Thank you
              I think the default hands were set to not cycle movement modes when an object is overlapped that can be grabbed. Your water volume must be blocking the VRTraceChannel and registering as something that can be grabbed (climbed).


              Consider supporting me on patreon

              My Open source tools and plugins
              Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

              Comment


                Hey there, back again with another question, still can't comment too much on the added back inherited "Mesh".. But i did notice rotating them -90 seems to cause issues with other meshes that are also attached to the same PRC.

                As for the question.. here's a small video example of the issue..
                Im not entirely sure this is solvable, but maybe it is.. Tinkering with the Replication Type under grip settings seems to do something, but not much..

                https://streamable.com/chcoh6

                The first part shows what the physics body looks when its being dragged by the capsule as the Server is the player.. Second half shows the same case, however as the client joining with 100-200 simulated ping instead, thus a weird "drag" problem arises..

                It seems, as the character moves, (pelvis is kinematic to PRC) the physics/simmulated parts of the body get stuck behind, and dont catch up until the "server" version of the Character/Actor has caught up as well.. At least this is what it seems to look like it's doing when both screens are placed side by side. These are both using VR Base Characters, and the Character Meshes are the uGrippableSkeletalMeshComponent attached to the PRC. I haven't tried this with the default Inherited mesh yet, as I haven't switched that to the Grippable one instead yet.

                Seems like a strange thing to try and solve, but setting up non Vr characters this way allows the VR player to posses anyone and control them and their related functions which is somewhat core to our required gameplay, especially in multiplayer. Let me know if any solutions come to mind, anything is always appreciated as usual.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
                  Hey there, back again with another question, still can't comment too much on the added back inherited "Mesh".. But i did notice rotating them -90 seems to cause issues with other meshes that are also attached to the same PRC.

                  As for the question.. here's a small video example of the issue..
                  Im not entirely sure this is solvable, but maybe it is.. Tinkering with the Replication Type under grip settings seems to do something, but not much..

                  https://streamable.com/chcoh6

                  The first part shows what the physics body looks when its being dragged by the capsule as the Server is the player.. Second half shows the same case, however as the client joining with 100-200 simulated ping instead, thus a weird "drag" problem arises..

                  It seems, as the character moves, (pelvis is kinematic to PRC) the physics/simmulated parts of the body get stuck behind, and dont catch up until the "server" version of the Character/Actor has caught up as well.. At least this is what it seems to look like it's doing when both screens are placed side by side. These are both using VR Base Characters, and the Character Meshes are the uGrippableSkeletalMeshComponent attached to the PRC. I haven't tried this with the default Inherited mesh yet, as I haven't switched that to the Grippable one instead yet.

                  Seems like a strange thing to try and solve, but setting up non Vr characters this way allows the VR player to posses anyone and control them and their related functions which is somewhat core to our required gameplay, especially in multiplayer. Let me know if any solutions come to mind, anything is always appreciated as usual.
                  Are you component replicating the mesh? Because you shouldn't be. Also make sure its not colliding with another object.

                  Outside of that, there shouldn't be any issues.

                  Also rotating the inheirited mesh shouldn't effect anything either *Edit* well there actually was an issue when net smoothing was enabled, I released a fix for that.
                  Last edited by mordentral; 06-14-2020, 10:36 PM.


                  Consider supporting me on patreon

                  My Open source tools and plugins
                  Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                    Are you component replicating the mesh? Because you shouldn't be. Also make sure its not colliding with another object.

                    Outside of that, there shouldn't be any issues.

                    Also rotating the inheirited mesh shouldn't effect anything either *Edit* well there actually was an issue when net smoothing was enabled, I released a fix for that.
                    No replication set on the mesh and tested with it's own custom collision channel set to ignore everything, still the same results.. Physics seem to be tied to the actors server location rather than the actors client location...

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                      I think the default hands were set to not cycle movement modes when an object is overlapped that can be grabbed. Your water volume must be blocking the VRTraceChannel and registering as something that can be grabbed (climbed).
                      Thank you very much for your response Mordentral!

                      Yes, you are correct. I tried to create a brand new physics volume on a brand new VR Expansion template level and it suffers from the same problem, unfortunately.

                      The player keeps getting stuck and the controls won't cycle through their settings properly...

                      Hopefully there will be a fix for this at some point eventually?

                      Best wishes,

                      J

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by jobywood View Post

                        Thank you very much for your response Mordentral!

                        Yes, you are correct. I tried to create a brand new physics volume on a brand new VR Expansion template level and it suffers from the same problem, unfortunately.

                        The player keeps getting stuck and the controls won't cycle through their settings properly...

                        Hopefully there will be a fix for this at some point eventually?

                        Best wishes,

                        J
                        Just have the water volume not block VRTrace? That is the only channel that the gripping should be checking against. That or modify the blueprints to still switch nodes.

                        The template isn't intended to be used without modifications, or as is at all really.


                        Consider supporting me on patreon

                        My Open source tools and plugins
                        Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

                          No replication set on the mesh and tested with it's own custom collision channel set to ignore everything, still the same results.. Physics seem to be tied to the actors server location rather than the actors client location...
                          I couldn't reproduce those results, let alone that a new mesh component that isn't built in has no ties to the character and wouldn't have anything special going on.

                          Unsure what you are doing with your setup there.


                          Consider supporting me on patreon

                          My Open source tools and plugins
                          Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                            I couldn't reproduce those results, let alone that a new mesh component that isn't built in has no ties to the character and wouldn't have anything special going on.

                            Unsure what you are doing with your setup there.
                            Thank you for that confirmation, it helped me better narrow down what I may have done to cause this, and turns out the uPhysicalAnimationComponent was set to replicate causing delay/lag on the physics.. Turning it off has lessened the effect by about 75%.. Still get random spikes of drag/lag, gonna keep tinkering.
                            Strangely enough now, the effect now happens only when rotating camera around. When the mesh faces "straight" forward/default rotation, it's smooth, if the player rotates the cam any direction, the previous lag/delayed results begin ... Very strange.. I have no code tied to "rotation" of the mesh in this sample. Maybe something to do with Fabrik's or something in the AnimBP tied to camera control, not sure anymore..

                            https://streamable.com/vn4up8
                            In the video, the massive drag happens after I move the mouse a bit on the smaller window.. The drag/lag doesn't happen on other clients, only visible to the local player and their character. Really annoying

                            Here's a better example.
                            https://streamable.com/x8ngpi
                            Same results with uPhysicalAnimationComponent disabled or enabled.
                            Could be something with the Replication Type setting under VRGrip settings.. But I'm not sure to be honest. Do those trigger only on grip or always?
                            Thanks again, and I know this might not have anything to do with the Plugin, but if anything comes to anyone's mind, lemme know.
                            Last edited by thelazylion; 06-15-2020, 11:40 AM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by thelazylion View Post

                              Thank you for that confirmation, it helped me better narrow down what I may have done to cause this, and turns out the uPhysicalAnimationComponent was set to replicate causing delay/lag on the physics.. Turning it off has lessened the effect by about 75%.. Still get random spikes of drag/lag, gonna keep tinkering.
                              Strangely enough now, the effect now happens only when rotating camera around. When the mesh faces "straight" forward/default rotation, it's smooth, if the player rotates the cam any direction, the previous lag/delayed results begin ... Very strange.. I have no code tied to "rotation" of the mesh in this sample. Maybe something to do with Fabrik's or something in the AnimBP tied to camera control, not sure anymore..

                              https://streamable.com/vn4up8
                              In the video, the massive drag happens after I move the mouse a bit on the smaller window.. The drag/lag doesn't happen on other clients, only visible to the local player and their character. Really annoying

                              Here's a better example.
                              https://streamable.com/x8ngpi
                              Same results with uPhysicalAnimationComponent disabled or enabled.
                              Could be something with the Replication Type setting under VRGrip settings.. But I'm not sure to be honest. Do those trigger only on grip or always?
                              Thanks again, and I know this might not have anything to do with the Plugin, but if anything comes to anyone's mind, lemme know.
                              Are these grippable skeletal meshes? If so, the only time that replication is altered is in ClientAuth grip mode, and only after a grip (if client auth throwing is enabled it stays around for a little bit).

                              Regardless, the character itself does not get any changes, and jittering wouldn't be the effect of that anyway.

                              A little curious why replicating the animation component was even doing anything though, since its not moving itself.


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                                Are these grippable skeletal meshes? If so, the only time that replication is altered is in ClientAuth grip mode, and only after a grip (if client auth throwing is enabled it stays around for a little bit).

                                Regardless, the character itself does not get any changes, and jittering wouldn't be the effect of that anyway.

                                A little curious why replicating the animation component was even doing anything though, since its not moving itself.
                                Yeah the Body meshes are uGrippableSkeletalMeshComponent.. The character itself isn't getting jittery or artifacts in movement. Its the Body Mesh attached to Parent Relative Component, as it follows the PRC it drags behind as though its still following the Servers position of the PRC i guess, I can't tell.
                                As for the replication effect on the PhysicalAnimationComponent, im guesing has something to do with "animation targets"? The target of where the physics are trying to be constrained to animation wise.. The physical animation "target" i think if replicated, causes it to follow the servers version of the target rather than client.. Again , just guessing, this ones stumped me.
                                Here it is, more clear on whats happening. Full body physics on, and off, pelvis set to simulate as well this time..
                                https://streamable.com/cgw5qu
                                It seems server/clients all see each other as normal, only issue is the client's own body.. Might have to find a way to duct tape solution this, by hiding the body and leaving a false non physics based body for local clients own view, but having the VR player interact with them physically (such as grabbing their hand and aiming their gun at a teammate as they fire) might be difficult to pull off this way.
                                Last edited by thelazylion; 06-15-2020, 01:48 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X