Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Eanir View Post
    Set the base class of that OWS character to VRCharacter and that's it
    Originally posted by mordentral View Post

    Basically yes, I generally tell people to reference the template implementations and create from scratch for their projects anyway. The template is a large set of tutorials more than anything else and people generally won't need the entire framework or all of the extra options.

    Setting the base class to a VRCharacter and then building up the movement and gripping from there with what you specifically need is going to be a lot more robust in the end. Also you will know exactly how it all works.
    Thank you both kindly for the replies,
    when you say to set the base class, are you talking about within the unreal editor or the UCLASS in the C++ .h file or something else? does this also include changing/adding the includes? What I don't understand right now is how does the VRCharacter inherit all the settings that are written into the C++ for the OWS character if I change the base class? It's probably not that confusing but I don't have a firm grasp (clearly) on a few things and I could use a slightly more detailed explanation on changing the base class.. not sure if this matters, but, the OWS character is a hierarchy, ThirdpersoncharacterBP > PlayercharacterBP > BasecharacterBP > BasecharacterC++ class. Thanks again for everything!

    Comment


      Originally posted by omfgdude2 View Post



      Thank you both kindly for the replies,
      when you say to set the base class, are you talking about within the unreal editor or the UCLASS in the C++ .h file or something else? does this also include changing/adding the includes? What I don't understand right now is how does the VRCharacter inherit all the settings that are written into the C++ for the OWS character if I change the base class? It's probably not that confusing but I don't have a firm grasp (clearly) on a few things and I could use a slightly more detailed explanation on changing the base class.. not sure if this matters, but, the OWS character is a hierarchy, ThirdpersoncharacterBP > PlayercharacterBP > BasecharacterBP > BasecharacterC++ class. Thanks again for everything!
      If your rpg character is based in C++ then you would have it base itself off of the VRcharacter instead of just Character. That way the RPG character inherits all of the vr character properties but keeps its abilities system intact.


      Consider supporting me on patreon

      My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

      Comment


        Originally posted by mordentral View Post

        If your rpg character is based in C++ then you would have it base itself off of the VRcharacter instead of just Character. That way the RPG character inherits all of the vr character properties but keeps its abilities system intact.
        ah, that makes a ton of sense.

        Comment


          Originally posted by mordentral View Post

          have it base itself off of the VRcharacter instead of just Character.
          Would it also be possible to do the opposite? Make the VRcharacter base itself off the OWScharacter? I am wondering which way causes less issues to resolve. When I add the includes (and specify included directories) to the ows base character I am getting lots of errors in the first steps of VRBPdatatypes and VRBPdatatypes.generated

          Comment


            Originally posted by omfgdude2 View Post

            Would it also be possible to do the opposite? Make the VRcharacter base itself off the OWScharacter? I am wondering which way causes less issues to resolve. When I add the includes (and specify included directories) to the ows base character I am getting lots of errors in the first steps of VRBPdatatypes and VRBPdatatypes.generated
            That is just because you aren't linking to the module correctly, the other way around would be harder.


            Consider supporting me on patreon

            My Open source tools and plugins
            Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

            Comment


              Thank you again for the reply, is there any instructions on how to link to the module correctly? Or is this just my lack of C++ knowledge?

              Comment


                Originally posted by omfgdude2 View Post
                Thank you again for the reply, is there any instructions on how to link to the module correctly? Or is this just my lack of C++ knowledge?
                I would normally link to some wiki tutorials, but those are lacking at the moment due to the official one shutting down. You need to add the plugin module to your build.cs's dependency module list and make sure that you have the correct header includes.


                Consider supporting me on patreon

                My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

                Comment


                  Originally posted by mordentral View Post

                  I would normally link to some wiki tutorials, but those are lacking at the moment due to the official one shutting down. You need to add the plugin module to your build.cs's dependency module list and make sure that you have the correct header includes.
                  Yes! This was the little push i needed. It's working, good grief that took a long time! Thank you so much for helping.

                  Comment


                    I have a question; how would i use the physics grasing hands in the templatein my project. Porting the files leaves thousands of errors. Is there a specific file i have to copy over other than the grasping hand file?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by NebulyDev View Post
                      I have a question; how would i use the physics grasing hands in the template in my project. Porting the files leaves thousands of errors. Is there a specific file i have to copy over other than the grasping hand file?
                      There are many, including the left and right meshes, skeletons, animations, blend spaces, animation blueprints, some enumeration types, and the blueprints themselves. I would recommend using the entire content directory and then picking out what you don't need.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by NebulyDev View Post
                        I have a question; how would i use the physics grasing hands in the templatein my project. Porting the files leaves thousands of errors. Is there a specific file i have to copy over other than the grasping hand file?
                        Originally posted by Benjamin Paine View Post

                        There are many, including the left and right meshes, skeletons, animations, blend spaces, animation blueprints, some enumeration types, and the blueprints themselves. I would recommend using the entire content directory and then picking out what you don't need.
                        Yeah..it has a lot of content revolving around it. They would also be simpler scripting wise if they weren't remotely spawnable options. If you were to make them a default part of your game character then a lot of the setup and edge cases would just not be needed.


                        Consider supporting me on patreon

                        My Open source tools and plugins
                        Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

                        Comment


                          Hey there, sorry for constantly coming back here with random issues.. But is there a way to get the VR character to adhere to root motion montages? Since the main "mesh" is not in use. We are using a custom mesh attached to the parent vr tracker for body tracking. However, during some moments we require root motion animations on the skeletal mesh, but since it's not the original "inherited" skeletal mesh of the character pawn, root motion doesn't seem to be applied.

                          Any suggestions on how to over come this? Worst case is we can apply movement input based on the estimate of the animation, but that's a bit of a hassle for the amount we have planned on incorporating.

                          Again thanks for your time, and any suggestions in advanced
                          Last edited by thelazylion; 05-27-2020, 10:27 PM.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
                            Hey there, sorry for constantly coming back here with random issues.. But is there a way to get the VR character to adhere to root motion montages? Since the main "mesh" is not in use. We are using a custom mesh attached to the parent vr tracker for body tracking. However, during some moments we require root motion animations on the skeletal mesh, but since it's not the original "inherited" skeletal mesh of the character pawn, root motion doesn't seem to be applied.

                            Any suggestions on how to over come this? Worst case is we can apply movement input based on the estimate of the animation, but that's a bit of a hassle for the amount we have planned on incorporating.

                            Again thanks for your time, and any suggestions in advanced
                            Asking questions is what this forum is for!

                            I personally never did manage to get root motion to work, though it was early on in my project that I attempted it, so I didn't have a lot invested in it and just dropped the idea. I also didn't get a lot of "default" animations to work ideally - there was always some motion of the upper body that I didn't want. What I ended up doing was taking my animations (not root motion), exporting, removing keyframes on all bones above the pelvis, then making those bones assume base pose. It was a little time consuming, but not very, considering I only ended up using 6 animations total - turn in place right and left, walk forward and backward, strafe left and right. This is enough for a first-person view, in my opinion - as long as your arm IK and leg IK are set appropriately. You do look a bit like a doofus in third person, though, if your game is muiltiplayer - but that's a problem that I'm not sure I've seen anyone solve completely. A lot of games seem to completely remove hand tracking from the third-person animation set during things like movement and canned animations, to avoid the fact that, unless you're using run in place motion (which, lets be honest, is a bit passé now,) your arms are usually in some static resting position while you fiddle your thumbsticks (unless you're holding a gun or something of the like.)

                            I'm not sure how viable this is, but have you considered making your full body character it's own actor and using a ChildActorComponent attached to the ParentRelativeAttachment? While it's not used very commonly, that may be able to work around some of your limitations. You won't be able to completely decouple the two, as I imagine you'd need to reference the parent actor quite a bit in the child actor. I haven't tried it myself, so I may be talking out of my behind.
                            Last edited by Benjamin Paine; 05-27-2020, 11:32 PM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by thelazylion View Post
                              Hey there, sorry for constantly coming back here with random issues.. But is there a way to get the VR character to adhere to root motion montages? Since the main "mesh" is not in use. We are using a custom mesh attached to the parent vr tracker for body tracking. However, during some moments we require root motion animations on the skeletal mesh, but since it's not the original "inherited" skeletal mesh of the character pawn, root motion doesn't seem to be applied.

                              Any suggestions on how to over come this? Worst case is we can apply movement input based on the estimate of the animation, but that's a bit of a hassle for the amount we have planned on incorporating.

                              Again thanks for your time, and any suggestions in advanced
                              The root motion checks were actually mostly ripped out to save performance in some of the character movement modes, so even if the original mesh was in it wouldn't be driving CMC locomotion currently.

                              I have a pathway to set the custom mesh being used so that the CMC knows which one to reference so a custom mesh could be used for such a thing if the code was in place.

                              I'm curious about why you intend to use root motion with VR though, considering its essentially direct control over camera movement most shouldn't use it. I wouldn't be entirely against putting the root motion code back in if there was a qualified reason for it. It would just have to be re-written to handle the offset capsule.

                              I've been back and forth over adding the default mesh back and re-parenting it as well. A lot of these were early decisions made a couple of years ago when first starting the character re-write.


                              Consider supporting me on patreon

                              My Open source tools and plugins
                              Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by mordentral View Post
                                I've been back and forth over adding the default mesh back and re-parenting it as well. A lot of these were early decisions made a couple of years ago when first starting the character re-write.
                                I'm just one person, and the people who have mentioned this on this forum I'm sure are just a subset of your userbase, so take this with some bias. After the breakout success of Boneworks showing that there is a market for more immersive, less comfort-focused VR games - I think having some sort of physical body that reacts with the world is going to be the target for a lot of developers. Many popular VR enthusiasts/curators/influencers top-ten lists feature HL:A (physical hands), Walking Dead: S&S (physical hands, mesh arms), Boneworks (full physical body), and Blade & Sorcery (full physical body.) Obviously there is still room for experimentation, and even just having the physics hands example is enough to get people started, but I can't help but feel like the ultimate "version" of the VRCharacter (maybe not the base?) would function more or less the same as the base character. This would better enable thinking of the VRCharacter as a traditional game character, and less like a floating camera and set of hands from which the base character must be a marionette.

                                Just my biased opinion, however, as one of those developers targeting such an experience.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X