Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eanir View Post

The anim bp compiles fine. This is the grasping hand bp with no steamvr. :/
    The problem was the Laterality variable in the GraspingHand bp. It's type of EHand which is part of the SteamVR input function library I believe. So when I turn off SteamVR, that variable becomes invalid, and the construction script loses the references to the hand meshes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1753781

The solution is to make another enum with LeftHand/RightHand and replace the two occurrences in the construction script. Now I am able to upload to the oculus store
    However, when I try to replace the default hand mesh with my own, the right hand works properly( wow, it looks good), but the bones of the left hand are twisted. I just imported my hand meshes, retargeted to the left/right skeletons. The bone hierarchy is the exactly same. Am I supposed to change the bone transforms or anything else for the left hand?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	1753782
    Last edited by Eanir; 05-01-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
      Well basically im not able to do anything. In play mode i just have the knuckle controller meshes, and none of the blueprintfunctions or buttons do work.
      I might have to go over everything again and see if i missed on something.
      But i have created a VR_Character pawn just as in the tutorial, and inside that pawn i did all the blueprint stuff.
      I also assigned the knuckles triggerbutton to do all that, but doesnt do.
      Beside that i somehow have two left controllers...

Comment

How can I make hands instead of controllers?
        How to make a hand squeeze and grab an object?
        Thank.

Comment

And another question .... does it all work on the oculus and index?

Comment

And another question (Don’t block me, please). I don’t have any idea how commands for driving modes appear on controllers. Namely, I would like not to use text labels, but to use icons.
            I spent a lot of time on UE4 lessons. But the trouble is, there occurred a big problem with the collision. I found a solution only with you.
            Your collision works fine! But nothing works for me from what I learned from UE4 lessons. It is sad.

Comment

I created a simple tutorial for the basics. I going to make one for hand animations and grabbing as well
              http://www.digital-messiah.com/post/...nreal-engine-4

Comment

The problem was the Laterality variable in the GraspingHand bp. It's type of EHand which is part of the SteamVR input function library I believe. So when I turn off SteamVR, that variable becomes invalid, and the construction script loses the references to the hand meshes.

Click image for larger version Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	1753781

The solution is to make another enum with LeftHand/RightHand and replace the two occurrences in the construction script. Now I am able to upload to the oculus store
                However, when I try to replace the default hand mesh with my own, the right hand works properly( wow, it looks good), but the bones of the left hand are twisted. I just imported my hand meshes, retargeted to the left/right skeletons. The bone hierarchy is the exactly same. Am I supposed to change the bone transforms or anything else for the left hand?

Click image for larger version Name:	Untitled3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.5 KB ID:	1753782
                Ah, thats something that a community member added when he added a seperate left hand mesh.

Didn't realize he edited the construction script as well and was using that var, I switched it to use the EControllerHand type. Also he imported the left hand as inversed bone facing like the manniquin has, i'm talking to him and a couple others about best setup there, I would prefer to use inverse scaled right hands for the left, but the engine has 4 seperate bugs I have ran into so far with inverse scale that effects rendering, collision, simulation.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
                Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by delphe_01 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply!
                  Well basically im not able to do anything. In play mode i just have the knuckle controller meshes, and none of the blueprintfunctions or buttons do work.
                  I might have to go over everything again and see if i missed on something.
                  But i have created a VR_Character pawn just as in the tutorial, and inside that pawn i did all the blueprint stuff.
                  I also assigned the knuckles triggerbutton to do all that, but doesnt do.
                  Beside that i somehow have two left controllers...
                  Are your inputs even firing off? You need to check that and regenerate input bindings in the new steam input menu if they aren't.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Ah, thats something that a community member added when he added a seperate left hand mesh.

Didn't realize he edited the construction script as well and was using that var, I switched it to use the EControllerHand type. Also he imported the left hand as inversed bone facing like the manniquin has, i'm talking to him and a couple others about best setup there, I would prefer to use inverse scaled right hands for the left, but the engine has 4 seperate bugs I have ran into so far with inverse scale that effects rendering, collision, simulation.
                    Leave a post here, if you come up with a solution

Comment

I have guns that are oriented down the Y-axis, and if I turn on dedicated server, they are facing they wrong direction when gripped. The server actually has them in the right position, but the client doesn't. I can't get the setting in 'Weapon Root Orientation Component' in Gun Tools to do anything.

Any idea what this could be?

Comment

Originally posted by Warner V View Post
                        Hi again,

Just a quick question: What is the current status of the "Grippable skeletal mesh"? In the past you could grab only the root bone, then I vaguely remember reading that there was an update on this, but I can't find the post. Is it possible to grab per bone now? If so, is everything controlled by the same VRGrip Interface settings?
                        So what I found is that the "Grippable Skeletal Mesh" grabs the root bone, while with a regular skeletal mesh you can grab any part of the mesh (and it attaches the grip to the bone(s) assigned to that part of the mesh, I think). Of course with a regular skeletal mesh you don't have the same control over the rest of the gripping parameters..

Is there any way to get this behavior also in the Grippable Skeletal Mesh?

Oh, and another thing I found: For the VRDial, VRLever, VRDial & VRMount the "Set Grip Priority" is exposed in blueprint, but for Grippable Mesh and Grippable Skeletal Mesh it is not. Any chance these can be exposed as well with the update to 4.25?

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Are your inputs even firing off? You need to check that and regenerate input bindings in the new steam input menu if they aren't.
                          Thanks for the reply! Yea they do. I followed Eanirs tutorial, and finally got the hands straight incl. grip_anim! I´ll try out the other stuff now.

Thanks Eanir, much appreciated! Would love to see further tutorials from you!

PeacePeace!

Comment

Leave a post here, if you come up with a solution
                            Not worth pursuing currently after more testing, there are just too many issues with inverse scaled meshes and physics. I'm either going to move to the steam hands for the example or use corrected left hand.

Originally posted by boxchat View Post
                            I have guns that are oriented down the Y-axis, and if I turn on dedicated server, they are facing they wrong direction when gripped. The server actually has them in the right position, but the client doesn't. I can't get the setting in 'Weapon Root Orientation Component' in Gun Tools to do anything.

Any idea what this could be?
                            Weapon root orientation is used to define the forward vector of the weapon for recoil and stock mode, not to alter the gripping (sockets / relative transform defines that), the template gun is also Y+ for that matter.

Are you sure that your dedicated server has it correct? They wouldn't visualize with a dedicated server and grip transforms are stored statically, so unless you are modifying the transform or somehow gripping separately on each connection it shouldn't be different.

Originally posted by Warner V View Post

So what I found is that the "Grippable Skeletal Mesh" grabs the root bone, while with a regular skeletal mesh you can grab any part of the mesh (and it attaches the grip to the bone(s) assigned to that part of the mesh, I think). Of course with a regular skeletal mesh you don't have the same control over the rest of the gripping parameters..

Is there any way to get this behavior also in the Grippable Skeletal Mesh?

Oh, and another thing I found: For the VRDial, VRLever, VRDial & VRMount the "Set Grip Priority" is exposed in blueprint, but for Grippable Mesh and Grippable Skeletal Mesh it is not. Any chance these can be exposed as well with the update to 4.25?

If using the template add the PerBoneGripping tag, if not using the template than you need to pass the bone name in to the grip function as well as use the bones transform instead of the actors when passing in the relative transform to use.

That isn't a function, the interactibles are just not based on a grippable base and only implement specifically what they need, so they have a variable on their base with the grip priority. The GripSettings structure contains the normal grippable GripPriority and you can directly set that.

I can add a utility function though.
                            Last edited by mordentral; 05-05-2020, 08:16 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I somehow can´t assign any GestureDatabase to my (OpenInput)SkeletonMeshes.. Neither the one provided by the example scene from the Vive folder, nor one i created myself.
                              Any suggestions on that?

Comment

Originally posted by delphe_01 View Post
                                I somehow can´t assign any GestureDatabase to my (OpenInput)SkeletonMeshes.. Neither the one provided by the example scene from the Vive folder, nor one i created myself.
                                Any suggestions on that?
                                What do you mean can't assign? They don't show up in the search list when clicking on it?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X