No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm certain this is my fault, but I'll post here in case someone else can help me resolve this before I do:

For some reason, my grip is not being detected, neither is the LaserBeam button. I'm using Index controllers, the latest version of the plugin and sample project. No changes made.

I know the game can tell I am gripping because I can feel the haptic feedback, but it's not translating to the hands or actually gripping objects.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyfilms View Post
      Hi, I'm certain this is my fault, but I'll post here in case someone else can help me resolve this before I do:

For some reason, my grip is not being detected, neither is the LaserBeam button. I'm using Index controllers, the latest version of the plugin and sample project. No changes made.

I know the game can tell I am gripping because I can feel the haptic feedback, but it's not translating to the hands or actually gripping objects.
      Sounds like your button mappings need regenerated in the steam menu bar. Its a common issue of the new input system.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Sounds like your button mappings need regenerated in the steam menu bar. Its a common issue of the new input system.
        Hm, still not working after regenerating them. I also tried creating a custom binding that ensured that the grip was actually corresponding the grip action, but still nothing.

What do I need plugin-wise besides VRExpansion? If having the SteamVR plugin enabled possibly causing a conflict?

Comment

Hm, still not working after regenerating them. I also tried creating a custom binding that ensured that the grip was actually corresponding the grip action, but still nothing.

What do I need plugin-wise besides VRExpansion? If having the SteamVR plugin enabled possibly causing a conflict?
          No, you need steamvr enabled for button mappings, you will also want to check in your steam input setup in steamVR itself and make sure that you don't have a custom mapping setup from before 4.24 that is overriding the default.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

No, you need steamvr enabled for button mappings, you will also want to check in your steam input setup in steamVR itself and make sure that you don't have a custom mapping setup from before 4.24 that is overriding the default.
            A ha! Got it. Had to set the vr.SteamVR.EnableVRInput variable to 1 in the ConsoleVariables.ini file, as per this page:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...put/index.html

Comment

You aren't setting your VR mode to floor level, oculus's module defaults to eye level which means it will zero to the head.

You need to call this: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...gin/index.html
              Hello Mordentral!

I really appreciate the help here!

I placed the VRCharacter on the level and then made sure I took control of the character as a pawn as suggested earlier by another member here. I also double checked and I am calling this floor level position using the tracking origin in blueprints on event play. After confirming both of these no my character is flying way above the ground and my controller meshes are tiny and super far away.

I’m considering just using the project template since I’m having these issues but I know you said there are some settings on there which might cause issues with creating a project there?

If anyone else is using the quest as a starting point I’d love to see settings there or if someone could make a tutorial or template for quest development using this plugin that would be great.

The YouTube guides on ravens channel are great but I can’t get past the first video with this issue.

Thanks again!

Comment

A ha! Got it. Had to set the vr.SteamVR.EnableVRInput variable to 1 in the ConsoleVariables.ini file, as per this page:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...put/index.html
                Eh? Not in 4.24 you don't, I guess you are on an older version of the engine?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by IShootWalkers View Post

Hello Mordentral!

I really appreciate the help here!

I placed the VRCharacter on the level and then made sure I took control of the character as a pawn as suggested earlier by another member here. I also double checked and I am calling this floor level position using the tracking origin in blueprints on event play. After confirming both of these no my character is flying way above the ground and my controller meshes are tiny and super far away.

I’m considering just using the project template since I’m having these issues but I know you said there are some settings on there which might cause issues with creating a project there?

If anyone else is using the quest as a starting point I’d love to see settings there or if someone could make a tutorial or template for quest development using this plugin that would be great.

The YouTube guides on ravens channel are great but I can’t get past the first video with this issue.

Thanks again!
                  This is unrelated to the plugin, and is base engine setup stuff. The plugins character offsets the hmd from its netsmoother root which is at actor 0,0,0. The behavior you are having would be the same with a normal pawn setup like in Epics documentation.

Quest setup as far as actors and components is no different than any other VR hardware in engine, its compiling out to it and its limited resources where it differs.

I haven't heard of an issue like you describe besides from people using the ResetOrientationAndPosition nodes in 4.24 which are broken and don't reset the controllers (though I thought that was a steamVR specific issue in 4.24). Setting floor level tracking makes the 0,0,0 point of your HMD and controllers root component be the center of your tracked space. Have you set up a valid room boundry in your quest?

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Eh? Not in 4.24 you don't, I guess you are on an older version of the engine?
                    Nope, 4.24.3.

Again, using the Example Template project.

It does say that variable is disabled by default to not break backwards compatibility, so does it not make sense to have to enable it?

Comment

Nope, 4.24.3.

Again, using the Example Template project.

It does say that variable is disabled by default to not break backwards compatibility, so does it not make sense to have to enable it?
                      It should only be doing anything below 4.24

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

This is unrelated to the plugin, and is base engine setup stuff. The plugins character offsets the hmd from its netsmoother root which is at actor 0,0,0. The behavior you are having would be the same with a normal pawn setup like in Epics documentation.

Quest setup as far as actors and components is no different than any other VR hardware in engine, its compiling out to it and its limited resources where it differs.

I haven't heard of an issue like you describe besides from people using the ResetOrientationAndPosition nodes in 4.24 which are broken and don't reset the controllers (though I thought that was a steamVR specific issue in 4.24). Setting floor level tracking makes the 0,0,0 point of your HMD and controllers root component be the center of your tracked space. Have you set up a valid room boundry in your quest?

Thanks for the tips modentral! Yeah I’ve tried redoing the boundaries with the quest guardian set up a few times to no avail. I’m thinking I’ll start messing around with the VR unreal template and work backwards and then add the plugin in there for testing after I test it with a few basic pawns. Based on what you’re saying I must be overlooking something simple here. I’ll report back here if I do eventually figure it out in case any other newcomers run into this issue.

BTW I loved the new update video and I’m excited for the future with this plugin!

Thanks Again!

Comment

What is the right way to size VRSimpleCharacter? I have tried setting the capsule height, setting the tracking origin to "floor level" and everything else I can think of but the only thing that works is setting the scale to higher than 1 in my level, but when I do that I have to rescale all of the components I've attached.

Comment

Originally posted by ksieburg View Post
                            What is the right way to size VRSimpleCharacter? I have tried setting the capsule height, setting the tracking origin to "floor level" and everything else I can think of but the only thing that works is setting the scale to higher than 1 in my level, but when I do that I have to rescale all of the components I've attached.
                            You can scale world to meters to scale the tracking level, but for general scaling setting the actor scale would be correct, unsure exactly what you are looking for.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You can scale world to meters to scale the tracking level, but for general scaling setting the actor scale would be correct, unsure exactly what you are looking for.
                              Hey I'm just looking to make the player a little taller. By default he was way too low to the ground. Changing the tracking origin to floor made him too tall. So I guess now I need to make him smaller in height. What did you mean by scale the world to meters?

Comment

I was wondering if you made a variable or have a function that gets the grip location? When you grip the object I want the gripped hand to move to that location and stop following the motion controller. I’m using two bone ik for the attachment. I just need a way to find the location of grip.

Comment

Working...
                                X