VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mordentral,

I'm working within the 4.23 example template and I've been trying to make a full body character.

I tried making the skeletal mesh a child to the ParentRelativeAttachment and drive the head rotation through the animation blueprint using a transform modify bone with a variable that gets the VRReplicatedCamera's rotation and I moved the skeletal mesh so that the VRReplicatedCamera gets right between the eyes. However, since the camera pivot point and the head bone pivot point are in different locations the VRReplicatedCamera's position gets offset and doesn't maintain its intented position (between the eyes).

So I tried cutting the head of the character and make it a child of the VRReplicatedCamera and the body a child of the ParentRelativeAttachment. I've been trying to keep the position of the neck in the same place but no good results. It bends at some unnatural angles because the head inherits the camera's pivot(between the eyes).

I know i could tweak the skeletal mesh position so that I won't see any clipping issues due to character's head getting the offset but that would not be physically correct. Unless my character is a snail

What do you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by PinOytaku View Post
      Hi there! So for the life of me I can't seem to figure this out. I've followed both your text and Raven's video tutorial on gripping, and I've tried searching to see if there was a solution in this thread but I can't seem to get the grip to work at all on anything "grippable" (g.static mesh, g.actor, etc.). The VR Slider on the cube from Raven's video works fine, but the grippable static mesh sphere doesn't. It'll register the hit, but then drop immediately as if I let go. I have a print set up after the GripObjectByInterface, and it gets through to that just fine. Tried doing a fresh project for the plugin as well as trying 4.24; I'm currently using engine ver 4.23.1.

Thanks for your time!
      If that sphere is heavily downscaled than you may be hitting the auto drop distance on it (its in relative space currently). Set the distance to 0 (never drops) or a much higher value and try again.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by PSCR_VR View Post
        Hello, thank you for creating this plugin, and for your ongoing support.

I'm trying to install this plugin according to the directions here. I'm using UE4 4.23.1, VS 2017, and a blank template blueprint project. Everything was going fine until step 12, building the solution in VS. My build failed with 49 errors, shown below:

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Capture.PNG","data-attachmentid":1706038}

Most of the errors seem to be repetitions of the same two errors, something about the == operator. The final error, as you can see, has something to do with permissions?

Any idea what is causing these issues and how to resolve them? Thanks
        *Edit* deleted original as I found the problem.

Whoops, merged a full 4.24 commit into 4.23 instead of just one part of it. Reverting to fix it, by the time you read it should be corrected.

Last edited by mordentral; 01-09-2020, 09:57 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Nostrildumbass View Post
          Hi mordentral, I support you on Patreon now and the answer to this question is more than likely that I need to learn replication, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless.

On my VR character, I'm using line trace every tick to highlight any items I'm pointing at with my hand. I'm highlighting the items by showing/hiding a special mesh at the appropriate time, and I have that working very nicely. For some reason, though, it is replicating to all players even though I disabled the Component Replicates option on the mesh I'm hiding/showing. Am I misunderstanding something here? It almost looks as if the VR character is forcing replication of a mesh that isn't configured to replicate. I only want the player to see their own targeted items highlighted and not those of other players'. I tried moving my "make item highlighted" function over to my item instead of doing it from the character but that yields the same result.

What makes this all even stranger for me is that my force grab movement ISN'T being replicated despite being handled within the same function. I want to understand how this replication is behaving really well at this stage.
          Sounds more like you aren't gating the highlight logic behind IsLocallyControlled on the character, so all of the characters are running the same logic on all connections.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by CatalinFuca View Post
            Hey Mordentral,

I'm working within the 4.23 example template and I've been trying to make a full body character.

I tried making the skeletal mesh a child to the ParentRelativeAttachment and drive the head rotation through the animation blueprint using a transform modify bone with a variable that gets the VRReplicatedCamera's rotation and I moved the skeletal mesh so that the VRReplicatedCamera gets right between the eyes. However, since the camera pivot point and the head bone pivot point are in different locations the VRReplicatedCamera's position gets offset and doesn't maintain its intented position (between the eyes).

So I tried cutting the head of the character and make it a child of the VRReplicatedCamera and the body a child of the ParentRelativeAttachment. I've been trying to keep the position of the neck in the same place but no good results. It bends at some unnatural angles because the head inherits the camera's pivot(between the eyes).

I know i could tweak the skeletal mesh position so that I won't see any clipping issues due to character's head getting the offset but that would not be physically correct. Unless my character is a snail

What do you suggest?
            You either need to make a static offset value that you project from the camera transform that you have your head mesh follow, or take the easier route (that is pretty standard with IK) of adding a scene component attached to the camera as an "effector" and follow that instead.

I'll also note that I have recently been porting an upper body ik white paper to ue4 that I find very interesting.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

Sounds more like you aren't gating the highlight logic behind IsLocallyControlled on the character, so all of the characters are running the same logic on all connections.
              Amazing, that simple. Thank you!!! Looks like I have a few things to move around as I am handling the item pulling logic within the same function as the point and highlight. Lots to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostrildumbass View Post

Amazing, that simple. Thank you!!! Looks like I have a few things to move around as I am handling the item pulling logic within the same function as the point and highlight. Lots to learn!
                This is likely something where you want to gate a lot of logic outside of the global tick, using a timer with a set htz rate would not only be a bit more performant here as you are only checking say 30 times a second for highlight, but also would let you only set it on the owner.

Depends though, if you want it frame perfect then a timer isn't going to help much.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You either need to make a static offset value that you project from the camera transform that you have your head mesh follow, or take the easier route (that is pretty standard with IK) of adding a scene component attached to the camera as an "effector" and follow that instead.

I'll also note that I have recently been porting an upper body ik white paper to ue4 that I find very interesting.

I did that but could not get it to work. I'll play more around with it

I'm also trying to disable the controllers from showing at run time. Unchecked display device model and they still show after hitting play.
                  And how can I enable collision with world so that the hands meshes won't go through objects.

Thank you very for your time! And sorry for needing to ask you.

Looking forward to try that upper body ik from the video.

Comment

hello,how to setup the plugin for work with an oculus quest pawn ?

Comment

Originally posted by CatalinFuca View Post

I did that but could not get it to work. I'll play more around with it

I'm also trying to disable the controllers from showing at run time. Unchecked display device model and they still show after hitting play.
                      And how can I enable collision with world so that the hands meshes won't go through objects.

Thank you very for your time! And sorry for needing to ask you.

Looking forward to try that upper body ik from the video.
                      Remove the controller loading timer in the big red box in the event graph of the character. That is there because it can be used in multiplayer while the built in controller visualization cannot.

As for enable collision with the world with hand meshes, you'll have to simulate the bone chain since you are using full body IK and use the physical animation component, that or sweep your effectors or simulate them and have the actual effectors be blocked by geometry.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by darknightmare View Post
                        hello,how to setup the plugin for work with an oculus quest pawn ?
                        unsure what you mean? The characters should work as is for quest, you just need to make sure that you are setting the tracking mode to floor in engine.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

If that sphere is heavily downscaled than you may be hitting the auto drop distance on it (its in relative space currently). Set the distance to 0 (never drops) or a much higher value and try again.
                          Hey, it works now! Thank you so much!

Comment

unsure what you mean? The characters should work as is for quest, you just need to make sure that you are setting the tracking mode to floor in engine.
                            well yes that work but the grab thing doenst seem to be working with the quest touch controllers

Comment

Hi,

I'm having a strange glitch with ue 4.22 oculus branch and vrxp :
                              When I'm displaying a VRwidget, it's all glitchy when a move the head. Didn't have this problem with 4.22 from epic's launcher. Maybe something to do with late-latching ?
                              (on oculus quest, with vulkan)

Comment

Originally posted by darknightmare View Post

well yes that work but the grab thing doenst seem to be working with the quest touch controllers
                                doesn't work how? Motion controllers are platform agnostic, the only thing that would get in the way would be if the button mappings weren't firing off. You can check the projectsettings/input tab and look at the left/right grip actions to see what buttons are bound to default grip.

I had to go and aproximate replacements for all of the bindings in 4.24 since input was entirely changed for VR in engine, some things are not currently working correctly (notably the steam input plugin isn't correctly binding everything without manual adjustment), I haven't done too much explicit testing on oculus since the overhaul.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X