No announcement yet.

VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pushed a new patch live to both repo's that adds a Flight Stick mode to the VRLever, patch notes linked below:

https://vreue4.com/patch-notes?secti...de-for-vrlever

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I'm trying to play the grab animation even when there is nothing to grab. Sounds pretty straightforward but i'm having a difficult time.

Originally I tried to set the hand state in the pawn, when that had no effect i tried to set the animation like this... still no effect, where can I set the grip state? is there an easy way to do this? thanks for the plugin Mordentral!

update: I found where you can switch animation modes to from blueprints to anim states so that code works now but it doesn't transition.
      Last edited by coteking; 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coteking View Post
        I'm trying to play the grab animation even when there is nothing to grab. Sounds pretty straightforward but i'm having a difficult time.

Originally I tried to set the hand state in the pawn, when that had no effect i tried to set the animation like this... still no effect, where can I set the grip state? is there an easy way to do this? thanks for the plugin Mordentral!
        I didn't have any hand animations or copywrite free hands so I just copied Epics setup over for people that were used to it anyway. The CheckAndHandleGripAnimations functions checks for current overlap state and/or gripping state and assigns an enum value in the AnimBP to control the current hand animation.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi. mordental
          It's a little far from the question of VR Expansion Plugin, but would you mind if I ask you a question?

I am currently developing a Physics-based VR Melee System.(Currently I am not using the VR Expansion Plugin.)
          Physical handling is performed based on the PhysicshandleComponent, but if you grab and swing a thin collision's Sword quickly, the Hit does not occur and just passes through.
          VR Expansion Plugin confirmed that this problem does not occur. How did you approach it and solve it?
          Last edited by CokeKuma; 04-24-2019, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WildEric View Post
            Hi. mordental
            It's a little far from the question of VR Expansion Plugin, but would you mind if I ask you a question?

I am currently developing a Physics-based VR Melee System.(Currently I am not using the VR Expansion Plugin.)
            Physical handling is performed based on the PhysicshandleComponent, but if you grab and swing a thin collision's Sword quickly, the Hit does not occur and just passes through.
            VR Expansion Plugin confirmed that this problem does not occur. How did you approach it and solve it?
            I don't, that is just hull penetration, you would have to adjust your physics settings or manage the collision body better.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

I don't, that is just hull penetration, you would have to adjust your physics settings or manage the collision body better.
              Thanks for the answer.

How does the VR Expansion Plugin manage Physics Settings?
              If I use a CCD with a large weight of Object Collision and a Mesh Component, I get the result I want, but I feel that the frame is delayed when I use the CCD.
              Do you have something better idea?

Comment

Originally posted by WildEric View Post

Thanks for the answer.

How does the VR Expansion Plugin manage Physics Settings?
                If I use a CCD with a large weight of Object Collision and a Mesh Component, I get the result I want, but I feel that the frame is delayed when I use the CCD.
                Do you have something better idea?
                CCD shouldn't have any effect on "delay", its just running collision in substeps. Its more likely that your "weight" being higher is dragging on the constraint. Also I don't use the physics handle component, I duplicated its setup with several changes and baked it directly into my grip controllers.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure out how you managed to make the capsule follow the HMD. I researched for ages and they all pointed to this yet I don't see which specific set of functions do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Simply Clueless View Post
                    I can't for the life of me figure out how you managed to make the capsule follow the HMD. I researched for ages and they all pointed to this yet I don't see which specific set of functions do that.
                    Its in the VRRootCapsule C++ source, I am overriding the physics thread update and the local rendering to move the capsule. The actual "location" is the same so it took re-writing most of the character class to use the offset location. Its likely not "the" best method, but it was a challenge and I really liked have free reign over where I place the capsule relative to the head without clunky second actors or other methods. It also lets "feet level" be actor zero, which makes a lot of sense when handling things in VR.

Back in earlier engine versions there was an AlternateLocation function on scene components thta would have made it simplistic...sad thats gone now.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

I was wondering what is the best Full Body IK solution to use with VR Expansion. Do you have any examples of how this would work with your solution?

Any help with this would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooth View Post
                        I was wondering what is the best Full Body IK solution to use with VR Expansion. Do you have any examples of how this would work with your solution?

Any help with this would be great.
                        I know that multiple people are using Ikinema and the new Full Body IK by AnimIK on the marketplace, I assume that others are using Yurik's as well but I don't know much about it. A lot of users used to use BIK but its pretty much gone now. I am not the best one to ask about this though as I can't package any IK solutions into the template or the plugin and haven't played with the marketplace offerings much. I don't think you will find something on the level of quality as Unity's FinalIK though for less than an exorbitant fee.

As for setup, generally you set the parent relative component to "floor mode" and attach the mesh and run the IK logic. Some of the setups have built in rotation detection so you would likely also want to set the ParentRelativeAttachment to IgnoreParentRotation to let the IK handle it itself.

I have some backend stuff going with some people about possible IK things, but I wouldn't wait around, its not something I can dedicate myself towards as its pretty much an entire project in itself to maintain a good IK plugin and I am not sure how serious they are about maintaining it if I helped out initially.
                        Last edited by mordentral; 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did find an open source IK solution but have not look at how to use it with VR Expansion. https://github.com/hacoo/rtik. I do have the plugin from Yuri (VR IK Body) but it's been a challenge to get it to work properly with VR Expansion plugin. It's mainly because his documentation is totally lacking and the videos are really hard to understand. But maybe your information about changing those settings in the VR Character might be part of my issue with this.

But if someone has a tutorial or example of a plugin and VR Expansion working together I would really appreciate the help.

Comment

Pushed another commit to both repositories, I figured that as long as I was requiring some re-factoring of how people connect to IsHeld, that I might as well finish it out fully with where I wanted it to be.

Patch notes here: https://vreue4.com/patch-notes?secti...tor-04-22-2019
                            Last edited by mordentral; 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

You want to check IsLocallyControlled on the TellClients multicast (On the received end) and ignore it, not on the actual call server side.
                              Thank you for all your help mordentral and I'm sorry for the late reply.

I was able to get this working by doing the check on the authority side and making sure the inputs were only being applied to the server's pawn. This works with two players, but needs more testing for multiple players.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kilargo View Post

Thank you for all your help mordentral and I'm sorry for the late reply.

I was able to get this working by doing the check on the authority side and making sure the inputs were only being applied to the server's pawn. This works with two players, but needs more testing for multiple players.

... I really need to convince them to merge those to an array of structs or something with the finger ID..that is just a bad format to work with

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X