VR Expansion Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tcla75 View Post
    mordentral I just downloaded the template, switched it to 4.20 and added in the pre-built binary package for 4.20 however when the project loaded up I get a ton of errors for about 50% of the BP's. Is this a known issue?
    ? You can't backwards convert blueprints. Download the 4.20 version of the template in the branches / downloads area.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
    Advanced Sessions Plugin
    VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

hi, i just testing that amazing plugin in 4.21.

need advice on cabinet blueprint. i did change the mesh and position of the cabinets. but seems contraint position locked. how can i fit the constraint position to main cabinet? (when i rotate the cabinet blueprint on the level?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLW5...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturness View Post
        hi, i just testing that amazing plugin in 4.21.

need advice on cabinet blueprint. i did change the mesh and position of the cabinets. but seems contraint position locked. how can i fit the constraint position to main cabinet? (when i rotate the cabinet blueprint on the level?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLW5...ature=youtu.be
        You would have to change the constraints settings to account for the different axis of rotation, i'm sure there are engine tutorials for general constraint setup around. The grip itself doesn't care what you setup there so nothing on my plugins end would need changing.

However I would actually suggest not even using constraints for that unless you really want the simulation for pushing against them with objects. Using the VRLever component is 99% of the time the better solution as its more solid (and I recognize the fire engine in the background and they would behave better in motion with the main body ;p).

Or at least I am assuming that you are attempting to change the axis of rotation, as actually rotating the cabinet in the example template works fine.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Heya UE4 peeps!

I upgraded my game and the plugin to 4.22 and everything went well except for one frustrating bug. All static mesh components on gripped objects were not late updating. Skeletal mesh components were fine, it was just static mesh components.

I've spent a few days trying to debug this. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with how the motion controller component was performing the late update on the gripped components. And I wasn't getting the same behavior on the project that comes with the plugin. But then I discovered that it had to do with the scene capture component I was using as a mirror so I could see my player in 3rd person.

You can test this out in the plugin's sample project. Grab the gun, go over to the mirror, and press the button to turn on its camera. You'll see that the gun (which is a static mesh) no longer late updates. Turn off the mirror's camera, and it correctly late updates.

So this isn't an issue with the VRExpansion plugin itself, but within the engine. I just wanted to let people know about this bug in 4.22 so you don't spend days trying to figure out what broke with your own objects. I'll have to put together a test case to submit to Epic (unless someone beats me to it).

- Dave
          Latest Demo, Turtle VR: http://www.turtlevr.com
          Mobile VR Jam 2015 Entry: Circumpaint
          VR game, Here Come The Dead: http://www.herecomethedead.com/
          Main web site: http://www.gnometech.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post

You would have to change the constraints settings to account for the different axis of rotation, i'm sure there are engine tutorials for general constraint setup around. The grip itself doesn't care what you setup there so nothing on my plugins end would need changing.

However I would actually suggest not even using constraints for that unless you really want the simulation for pushing against them with objects. Using the VRLever component is 99% of the time the better solution as its more solid (and I recognize the fire engine in the background and they would behave better in motion with the main body ;p).

Or at least I am assuming that you are attempting to change the axis of rotation, as actually rotating the cabinet in the example template works fine.
            thx mate . VRlever work like a charm! (not %99 .. %100 )

Is there a blueprint with any gimbal movement in the template? (i mean all axis rotation with center position) https://images.homedepot-static.com/...wh-64_1000.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturness View Post

thx mate . VRlever work like a charm! (not %99 .. %100 )

Is there a blueprint with any gimbal movement in the template? (i mean all axis rotation with center position) https://images.homedepot-static.com/...wh-64_1000.jpg
              VR Lever with axis set to XY is basically that, though you get some roll over on the far angles to keep the rotation.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi.

So after a few months break to work on other things, I came back to my project. You told me to use a Drop and Socket node - for dropping an object and socketing it to something. I'm still pretty new, maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Attached is how I'm attempting to use it, in a blueprint for an object to be dropped and socketed (a sphere), (the static mesh component), and attach to a separate blueprint object (get cube). I'm just using a grippable static mesh actor, do I need to override the "normal" object dropping in the Vive pawn? (using the template)
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TheDKSP View Post
                  Hi.

So after a few months break to work on other things, I came back to my project. You told me to use a Drop and Socket node - for dropping an object and socketing it to something. I'm still pretty new, maybe I'm just missing something obvious, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Attached is how I'm attempting to use it, in a blueprint for an object to be dropped and socketed (a sphere), (the static mesh component), and attach to a separate blueprint object (get cube). I'm just using a grippable static mesh actor, do I need to override the "normal" object dropping in the Vive pawn? (using the template)
                  Yeah it replaces the "drop" node, this way it does the drop AND the socket in one step, removing potential packet ordering issues.

The newer templates check "RequestsSocketing" and if the object wants to socket at the time of release it calls DropAndSocket instead. But that is entirely optional and can be decided in any way you want.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                  VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Hi everyone. I posted in the answerHub and reddit because I don't thintkhis is a vrexpansion issue but since it's VR related I thought I would give it a go here.

I am pushing steamVR skeletal input through an anim pose on a skeletal mesh (standard UE4 hand mesh) using valves recently released unreal plugin.

I also have a fully replicated player pawn (thanks to this plugin)

I'm running into an issue where the animations of the hand are not replicated between server and client (though transform is). Furthermore, the animations my pawn drives are duplicated locally on other players pawns (the other pawns are mimicking my finger curls and splays).

I've solved this problem years ago but am revisiting it now and running into issues. I feel like the skeletal mesh component used to have a replication option like "replicate skeletal mesh" or something.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hello!

Have you noticed that after upgrading to 4.22 the render custom depth system is not working in VR anymore? When trying to highlight something, the highlighted edges are showing really weird and are all over the place. With traditional way everything works. Is it a Engine Bug, or is there something changing in VR plugin?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisco View Post
                        Hello!

Have you noticed that after upgrading to 4.22 the render custom depth system is not working in VR anymore? When trying to highlight something, the highlighted edges are showing really weird and are all over the place. With traditional way everything works. Is it a Engine Bug, or is there something changing in VR plugin?

Thanks.
                        They changed much of the rendering system in 4.22, there is an open bug report about the custom deph buffer having issues currently which most highlights use.

That being said, the custom depth buffer has ALWAYS had issues with the forwarded renderer with MSAA due to scaling precision inaccuracies.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Kilargo View Post
                          Hi everyone. I posted in the answerHub and reddit because I don't thintkhis is a vrexpansion issue but since it's VR related I thought I would give it a go here.

I am pushing steamVR skeletal input through an anim pose on a skeletal mesh (standard UE4 hand mesh) using valves recently released unreal plugin.

I also have a fully replicated player pawn (thanks to this plugin)

I'm running into an issue where the animations of the hand are not replicated between server and client (though transform is). Furthermore, the animations my pawn drives are duplicated locally on other players pawns (the other pawns are mimicking my finger curls and splays).

I've solved this problem years ago but am revisiting it now and running into issues. I feel like the skeletal mesh component used to have a replication option like "replicate skeletal mesh" or something.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
                          None of the Valve SteamVR plugin is setup for replication currently, in fact the layout of it is somewhat against replication being easily added. I'm waiting for a solid stable version of it (hopefully with some suggested changes) before I decide where to take my module that implements the same thing and how best to merge the two. Currently it doesn't look very good for me being able to avoid a lot of custom implementation.

The reason your hand animations are duplicated is because their animation node is directly querying SteamInput for the current hand poses, this means it will always take the local players hand poses. I will likely need to create an alternative node that takes an optional transform input to work off of instead of the hard coded query.

Also though, in most cases you will likely want to replicate and use finger curls / splays for your hand animations, it is more friendly to pose blending and has far less overhead for replication, in that case it would just be replicating the curl values and applying them in the animation graph to blend between a fully closed and fully open hand pose depending on the grip.

Its really only when nothing is held that you would want to fall back on the full transform list.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                          VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Thanks for the reply mordentral. I really appreciate everything going you've been doing for the VR community.

I figured I was going to have to go that route, but I was worried about latency and honestly hoping for an out of box solution. I'll ditch the SteamVR anim pose node, replicate finger curls through my pawn and cast the variables as effectors in the anim blueprint. That "should" do the trick because that's what I did for replicated skeletal meshes before.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilargo View Post
                              Thanks for the reply mordentral. I really appreciate everything going you've been doing for the VR community.

I figured I was going to have to go that route, but I was worried about latency and honestly hoping for an out of box solution. I'll ditch the SteamVR anim pose node, replicate finger curls through my pawn and cast the variables as effectors in the anim blueprint. That "should" do the trick because that's what I did for replicated skeletal meshes before.
                              Any default replication wouldn't be any faster latency wise, its still ping limited regardless of who is sending.

You can run the replication at a lower rate and lerp between last and current values to reduce the cost as well. I'd imagine that eventually when I see where they end up on their plugin I will make some default replication setup and merge it into the main SteamVRExpansion module. For now i'm sitting on it though since their plugin is very much still early alpha and has some strange design choices.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                              VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Pushed a new update live to both repositories yesterday, forgot to update this thread. I made a bucket updating system for 4.22 to manage the client auth throwing addition and when I saw the new subsystem engine capability I decided it made more sense as one of those. Figured that as long as I was cleaning it up and generalizing it more that I would add some blueprint accessibility to it as well for others to use if they choose too.

Patch notes here: https://vreue4.com/patch-notes?secti...date-subsystem

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Working...
                                X